• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SC/397
    Administrator
    • Feb 01, 2010

AMC 360 Stroker (383) for Donzi

I have a few 383's out there in AMC cars but now I finally get to build one for a Full Size Jeep!
    To get to 383 cubic inches, it requires a 4.155" bore and 3.53" stroke

Here is the block all cleaned and ready to go.
    IMG_4319 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

I love part numbers with "RD" or "X" in them. "RD" means Research and Development but a "X" could mean anything.
    IMG_4315 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

This block is a late Jeep block. The extra core plugs in the back were added to the drawing 2-5-1979
    IMG_4316 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

I Sonic check the block before and after boring. I check several places until I find the thinnist spots.
    IMG_4318 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

This is nice thick block. The absolute thinnist spot is .110". This block could have been bored out to the 401 bore of 4.165" and would have still been ok. I go to 4.155" because it is a standard size and to stay on the safe side.
    IMG_4320 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

Here is the purdy crankshaft. I had it off-set ground to a 2" journal with a 3.53" stroke.
    IMG_4321 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

On the performance engines I drill out the main bearing feed holes to match the 5/16" oil feed hole below it.
    IMG_4322 by Rick Jones, on Flickr
    Last edited by SC/397; 05-02-2018, 03:40 PM.
    The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world
  • JPSwapMohn
    304 AMC
    • May 01, 2004

I don't think I have seen/heard of an AMC 383, that's cool!
    Did the crank start as a 360 unit, or an unobtainable 401 crank?
    One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
    http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
    95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
    50 CJ3A
    77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD

Comment

• SC/397
      Administrator
      • Feb 01, 2010

Originally posted by JPSwapMohn
      I don't think I have seen/heard of an AMC 383, that's cool!
      Did the crank start as a 360 unit, or an unobtainable 401 crank?
      360 crank off-set ground to 3.53" stroke with a 2" journal diameter machined to fit the 6" 6cyl chevy stroker connecting rods
      Hey guys, Just another news anouncement ... Rick Jones, who helped build my 304 stroker is now underway on building a budget AMC 360 stroker, which should turn out to be awesome. I'll post up pics and details soon ... STAY TUNED!
      Last edited by SC/397; 04-09-2018, 04:14 AM.

Comment

• SC/397
        Administrator
        • Feb 01, 2010

Connecting rods: The stock AMC 360 connecting rod width is .997? and is not machined down narrower at the crank end like the 401 and other makes rods. I was not able to find an off-the-shelf aftermarket 6? connecting rod to fit a 2? journal that is wide enough for the 360 crank. I called Scat in hopes of getting a set of sbc rods before they machined the big end down. The piston end of the sbc rod is wide enough. I told them what I was trying to do with the wider 360 crank and they recommended using a 6? stroker rod from a GM 250 6 cylinder application. This rod is 1.050? wide, made for a 2? journal.
        3831 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

I order custom pistons to my specs to fit the pin in the bore size that I want, with the desired piston pin height.

Comment

• SC/397
          Administrator
          • Feb 01, 2010

This picture shows where I added the extra oil drain back holes in the valley area. I drill them and angle them towards the cam at each lobe. The ones through the valley are 3/16" with a chamfer and the ones at the back of the block are 5/16" and I make a little oil trough to help direct the oil to the holes. This block will get the interanl oil line as well.
          383 by Rick Jones, on Flickr
          3832 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

Comment

• rang-a-stang
            Administrator
            • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by SC/397
            This picture shows where I added the extra oil drain back holes in the valley area. I drill them and angle them towards the cam at each lobe. The ones through the valley are 3/16" with a chamfer and the ones at the back of the block are 5/16" and I make a little oil trough to help direct the oil to the holes. This block will get the internal oil line as well.
            Do you do this to all your blocks? (wondering if I should plan on doing it with a mild 401 build)
            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
            (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
            (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
            79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
            (Cherokee Build Thread)
            11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
            09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• SC/397
              Administrator
              • Feb 01, 2010

I don't do it to all of the 304 or 360 builds if they are basically stock rebuilds.
              I do it on all 390s, 401's and performance 360's assuming the engine will be ran hard. Basically, I am just trying to help get the oil back to the pan as fast as possible.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                Administrator
                • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by SC/397
                I Sonic check the block before and after boring. I check several places until I find the thinnist spots.
                IMG_4318 by Rick Jones, on Flickr
                Sorry for the pesky questions: Is your thickness Meter probe the standard one that comes with the meter or is it specifically for measuring curved surfaces?
                Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                (Cherokee Build Thread)
                11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• SC/397
                  Administrator
                  • Feb 01, 2010

It has the smaller diameter head so that I can get a more accurate measurement. It is within .008" so, it is pleanty close enough.
                  Again, I move it around to get the very smallest reading at all of the positions. Even at the .110" measurement (.102" adjusted), I can move the probe 1/4" in any direction and the reading will go up to .140"+.
                  Last edited by SC/397; 04-10-2018, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
                    350 Buick
                    • Feb 15, 2010

not picking on your ideas, but why would you drill drain holes that dump oil on the camshaft? you are creating windage by dumping oil on cam as it spins and not letting it drain back into the pan faster? I have always drilled or enlarged the drain holes in front and back to get the oil down into the pan as fast as possible without creating drag on the reciprocating masses when doing my race motors. Again not saying your wrong or right just asking if there is a better idea?

Comment

• SC/397
                      Administrator
                      • Feb 01, 2010

Originally posted by wiley-moeracing
                      not picking on your ideas, but why would you drill drain holes that dump oil on the camshaft? you are creating windage by dumping oil on cam as it spins and not letting it drain back into the pan faster? I have always drilled or enlarged the drain holes in front and back to get the oil down into the pan as fast as possible without creating drag on the reciprocating masses when doing my race motors. Again not saying your wrong or right just asking if there is a better idea?
                      I can't take any credit for the idea. Drag racers and road racers have been doing that for years. I saw it in a magazine and thought it was a good idea. If you relied on the rear center drain back hole for oil return, the oil goes right on the cam anyway. Rather than having the oil pool up in the little pockets, I would rather have it drain back in. I guess it would be hard to measure how much, if any, drag it would be on the cam at any given rpm for a street engine.
                      017 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

Comment

• Donzi
                        232 I6
                        • May 03, 2006

Looks good! Can?t wait to see the progress and get it into the Jeep!

Comment

• mattmopar440
                          AMC 4 OH! 1
                          • May 17, 2007

will you have it dyno tested ??? just wondering what it will make compared to a 401
                          87' Grand Wagoneer
                          401/727/229, Currently:RUNNING
                          84 J10/20 hybrid 258/727/208 Daily Driver
                          80' J10 4BT/AX-15/208
                          74' J10 Go Grabber Green Sold
                          Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                          Inferior Chevy

Comment

• SC/397
                            Administrator
                            • Feb 01, 2010

Originally posted by mattmopar440
                            will you have it dyno tested ??? just wondering what it will make compared to a 401
                            No plans to dyno this one. The first one I built made 406HP and 424#/ft of torque but it was a different recipe. The first one had 10.4:1 compression ratio with a Torker intake, Summit 8601 cam and a 750 Holley.
                            This one will have 9.3ish compression ratio, Air Gap intake and a Comp 270H cam. There is talk of fuel injection once Donzi gets ahold of it.

It is screwed up because of the photosucket problem but there is more information on that build in here:
                            Hey guys, Just another news anouncement ... Rick Jones, who helped build my 304 stroker is now underway on building a budget AMC 360 stroker, which should turn out to be awesome. I'll post up pics and details soon ... STAY TUNED!

Here is a picture of the connecting rods that we are using.
                            IMG_4333 by Rick Jones, on Flickr
                            Last edited by SC/397; 04-17-2018, 04:24 AM.

Comment

• SC/397
                              Administrator
                              • Feb 01, 2010

Timing Set rework as usual. This one is in a Milodon box but it is made by SA Gear. I am not a fan of the big slots in font so, I will braze them shut.
                              IMG_4417 by Rick Jones, on Flickr
                              IMG_4420 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

Comp Cam. The oil slot is pretty close but, I will move it over to be centered with oil feed hole in the cam.
                              IMG_4416 by Rick Jones, on Flickr
                              IMG_4418(1) by Rick Jones, on Flickr
                              IMG_4421 by Rick Jones, on Flickr
                              IMG_4419 by Rick Jones, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X