X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GaJeep94YJ
    232 I6
    • May 18, 2003

Hey man, nice thread so far. really like your progress. I just bought my first FSJ this weekend, and wanting to restore it to all it's original glory.

looking forward to more posts.

BTW: I am in Marietta, GA. Nice to see some more somewhat locals. is the Steve you mentioned have a chop top? if so I know him from way back. I still have my 1 ton YJ and used to go 4 wheeling with him......LOOONG time ago.

ETA: 7 years and this is my 4th post...

Comment

• blakeusa
      350 Buick
      • Jul 21, 2005

U got your girlfriend and mom helping you .... are you running a FSJ sweet I mean sweat shop?
      1971 J4000 Gladiator w/AMC 401 Restoration Project

Comment

• Coryd55
        350 Buick
        • Jan 23, 2010

Revised update:

January 22, 2011: Finished dry fitting the floor pan patches and then used panel bond to attach them. Let them dry overnight. Worked from about 11:00AM-5:00PM. Also got in some carpet samples. Leaning towards the cordovan/burgundy one.

January 23, 2011: Installed gas tank and fuel line/hoses except for the hose between tank and filler pipe - mine is cracked and needs replacement. It went pretty smooth but we used the old strap instead of the new stainless one that came with the BJ's tank. Worked from 12:00PM-5:00PM.

January 25, 2011: Removed ENTIRE AC system from the Grand Wagoneer in preparation for Jeff (thepartsguy on GFSJ) to come pick up the GW. Worked from 6:00PM-8:30PM.

January 28, 2011: Got the Cherokee towed down to Barry's shop. The garage feels empty...

And lastly,
        January 29, 2011:Went to Barry's. First order of business was to remove the nice after market aluminum wheels and replace with crappy stock ones so they don't get stolen. After that, I DA sanded the hood and got all the chips and scratches out. The hood was straight so after DA sanding with 180, I primed it. It was my first time painting with a real gun and there was water in the line, so....it was interesting. I did okay though. After three heavy coats, we moved the hood into the sun. Then I started blocking the driver's door. I had to remove the door handle to get to the area around it easier. Barry showed me this black powder stuff that is used to show low spots for blocking. The bottom of the door had some big waves, so we wiped it and will sand it down next time. Once that is done, one more prime and it should be ready for paint. Worked from about 10:00AM-5:00PM.

Thanks for keeping up.
        Last edited by Coryd55; 01-30-2011, 10:36 AM.
        1976 Cherokee Chief Build - Update 7/3/2014

Chief for sale - contact via PM if interested.

Comment

• 247pia
          258 I6
          • Nov 14, 2010

Originally posted by Austin 4x4
          priming with no resperatory protection and while smoking. if the cigarettes dont kill you the isocyanates will . not shure those are the best people to be learning from.
          At least you had a cross on your neck.
          79 Cherokee 360, T-18, Dana 20, Locked tons. I give up.
          08 Liberty, 97 Z71

Comment

• Coryd55
            350 Buick
            • Jan 23, 2010

Originally posted by 247pia
            At least you had a cross on your neck.
            That may help him, but does nothing for me haha. That is the painter, not me.

Comment

• Coryd55
              350 Buick
              • Jan 23, 2010

Just got back in from doing some work. Went out at about 2:00PM and got back at about 5:00PM.

Installed the new headliner on the rear board. I had to patch the front board a bit and am currently letting some dead weight straighten a big hump in the board. I sanded the boards with 120 and Windexed the back of them.

Installed new U-Joints on the drive shaft as well.

Last edited by Coryd55; 02-17-2011, 04:56 PM.

Comment

• GaJeep94YJ
                232 I6
                • May 18, 2003

Originally posted by Coryd55

Installed the new headliner on the rear board. I had to patch the front board a bit and am currently letting some dead weight straighten a big hump in the board. I sanded the boards with 120 and Windexed the back of them.

Pics later.

where did you get the headliner from? was it local? can you post pics of it and how you did it? I just pulled mine down this weekend to replace.

Comment

• Coryd55
                  350 Buick
                  • Jan 23, 2010

Originally posted by GaJeep94YJ
                  where did you get the headliner from? was it local? can you post pics of it and how you did it? I just pulled mine down this weekend to replace.
                  Got it from a local shop. It is fairly easy. Just sand the board, straighten/repair it if needed. Spray the adhesive on the board and headliner (1/2 at a time for simplicity and ease) and then just smooth it onto the board. Cut the excess with a razor blade and it is done. I will post pics later when I get a chance.

Comment

• Coryd55
                    350 Buick
                    • Jan 23, 2010

Sorry for the lack of updates - lots of work lately.

I have only worked a few days since the last update - mostly at Barry's; actually, all at Barry's.

February 9, 2011:

Used an air file to sand some Evercoat Rage filler on the bottom section of the driver's door. It had a huge wave in it (well, huge for bodywork) and needed a good thick coat to smooth it out. After I sanded it smooth, I wiped again with thinner filler (Evercoat Rage with some flow putty in it) to finish it out. I sanded it smooth by hand with 120, then 180.
                    I also sanded (by hand with a small sheet since there are too many curves for a block) the front valance with 180 to prep for another coat of primer.

February 12, 2011

I DA sanded the doors, front outer fenders, hood, and front valance, as a substitute for blocking the primer. Wiped the passenger fender in one small spot and wiped front valance on the driver side as well. Sanded down the filler and blocked it and then primed all parts (same list as above).

February 13, 2011

I had some help from my parents on this day. They DA sanded entire cab, while I worked on the tailgate - it had a significant dent on the passenger side of it. I used a dent puller to get it out for the most part, then laid down a thick coat of filler. I used the air file and 40 (and 80) grit to sand down the most of it. I ended up having to wipe it FIVE times to get it close. I used the air file and then a block with 120/180. I still need to work the edges and then it should be good to go.

Comment

• 76FSChief
                      258 I6
                      • Feb 19, 2010

Nice work - Im sure you are looking forward to getting it done and going for a drive. Making nice progress!

Comment

• Coryd55
                        350 Buick
                        • Jan 23, 2010

Originally posted by 76FSChief
                        Nice work - Im sure you are looking forward to getting it done and going for a drive. Making nice progress!
                        I am definitely looking forward to it being done AND getting to finally drive it.

Sorry, no pictures - left the camera at home on accident.

Got out today at about 10:25AM and left at 7:00PM.

I finished the spot on the tailgate, wiped some spots from pitting on the roof (and sanded them of course). I also repaired some newfound holes in the passenger floor pan and some near the firewall. We masked off the rear windows and all other openings/holes and such. Then I primed the heck out of the body. It was pretty dark so it was REALLY bad, but it is primed. Tomorrow the plan is to DA sand the entire thing, fix a few small dents that popped up with primer, and prime again (and maybe cut in the door jambs). Then, next weekend, all of the parts will go back on for the final sanding/blocking and painting.

Thanks for keeping up.

Picture edit: (Snapped a picture on Feb 20th, 2011, of the patch)

Last edited by Coryd55; 02-20-2011, 05:53 PM.

Comment

• Coryd55
                          350 Buick
                          • Jan 23, 2010

Went to Barry's again today. My parents got there around 11:00AM, but I arrived about 15 minutes later to due church stuff.

Lots of blocking with 180...LOTS. There were about six or seven dents that I wiped and sanded down. After everything was smooth and straight, I put down about 3 coats of primer. Also had to weld up a crack in the rear quarter.

Strange how three sentences can take 8 hours to complete. Left at 7:00PM.

For those attentive type - the rear flares aren't primed because I am getting fiberglass ones. They just aren't here yet.

Pictures:

Picking out paint tomorrow!

Comment

• Coryd55
                            350 Buick
                            • Jan 23, 2010

Bought a pair of fiberglass rear flares from ZM Jeeps on Sunday. Should be here soon?

Bought paint, a mask, some reducer, and some activator from Stephen's Paint and Autoglass (local store) on Monday. I got 2011 Mercedes-Benz Steel Grey (755).

And lastly, I ordered a new windshield gasket from Team Grand Wagoneer today.

I'm ready (well my parents really) to stop spending money for a while. Especially with $500 of college enrollment/housing fees. It should be worth it though....right?

I found out that I present Phase 4 on March 14, and then Boards Night (present the final product/progress in front of a panel of three judges) is on April 21. I am supposed to have it primed and the drivetrain installed. It is already primed and installing the drivetrain should be no issue by the 21 of April. I would really like to get it running...but that is ideal. And Jeeps are not ideal.

Comment

• Coryd55
                              350 Buick
                              • Jan 23, 2010

Got the other half of the headliner done two days ago.

Today Rich dropped of the new mounted and balanced tires. I ended up getting 33x12.5R17 Pro-Comp XTreme AT (http://www.procompusa.com/productlis...57&ptid=100809).

Here is a quick picture. Hopefully some bodywork can get done tonight.

Comment

• Coryd55
                                350 Buick
                                • Jan 23, 2010

Worked from 10:30AM to 5:00PM today.

Got all of the areas that needed to be cut in sanded and then cut in.

I also got the dash and cowl vent painted.

Added the following pictures (3/12/11)

Last edited by Coryd55; 03-12-2011, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X