• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 70JeepWagoneer
    230 Tornado
    • Aug 20, 2009

1970 Wagoneer Instrument Cluster Problems

Hi there. I'm having problems with everything on my instrument cluster working intermittently. Currently only my temperature gauge works.

I pulled the cluster out and cleaned the contacts and everything but I noticed that the pins in the back where you plug the harness into, were all pretty lose. When I pull down on the harness with everything hooked up, some things (fuel gauge, turn signals, etc) will work but will stop again when I let go of the harness.

Is it those pins that are the problem or do you think there is a short...in all of my cluster wires?
  • jaber
    Dragin Az
    • Oct 17, 2003

Welcome to the land of empty pockets and unfinished projects....

It sounds like loose/ dirty connections. Use a small pointy tool to make them close a little tighter. And dont forget to unhook the battery as you do it.

I had family up in your neck of the woods...The Haddens. Might even be one of two still around there...
    Jeff

'43 cj2a
    '51 Willys p/u
    '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
    '68 Panel Delivery
    '74 CJ5
    '75 J-20 Wrecker
    '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
    '77 J-10 p/u
    '79 Cherokee
    '88 Grand Wagoneer
    '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• dpgoat
      232 I6
      • Jun 24, 2009

I carefully melted some soder on the back side of those pins to tighten them up. Not sure if this fix worked yet, but hopeful. I'm gettin married to a Hadden in 10 days, but from MA.
      1969 Wagoneer SBC motor

Comment

• gvillejeeper
        232 I6
        • Feb 17, 2010

cluster not working

to me it seems like these stock units never work right, gave my self a mega headache trying to revive mine until i broke down and got a triple set from summit problem solved
        1980 j10 honcho levis edition
        360/727/208
        3'' rc spring lift
        33''bfg all terrains
        homemade flatbed
        razor grille
        401 rebuild started

Comment

• Tornado230
          350 Buick
          • Sep 14, 2008

The old style clusters were prone to problems.
          The TSM shows where to place the jumper wires if the problem is in the circuit board.

Comment

Working...
          X