International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Build Threads

Old 03-14-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps
I might have to do that Todd. I am not to eager to spend another 3K on a new Tennsmith after the chroming system, although I would love too. And I really could use a shear for lots of things. I look usually twice a day for a good deal on a used one on this side of the continental divide. There are shears all over the east coast. For way too much money for rusty krap. Average 1100 to 1800 and that is a bummer. There are expired ads from the 90's and 2K's for 600 to 800 all over. There is a pexto in Kalamath Falls oregon for 600. And it looks really nice. That is a two day drive one way. I am not wanting to do that right now. But it would be passing by Frank's place and I would probably have to go bug him for an hour or two. There is a clapped out pexto 137 in Seattle, a 6 hour drive for me. They just lowered it to 1250 and it is not even close to being worth that. The machine is in terrible condition. It has drill shavings all over it including bent nails on the bed. Garbage care for sure. Alright I am rambling. I will definitely find a shop to cut these if I don't find a shear by then. Thank you!!
No problem, something else you could do at home is cut it with a router, just clamp it down and use a straight edge and make a few shallow passes with the router. You can get bits for the router to cut aluminum at https://www.inventables.com/categori...-bits-pcb-bits they start at $9.00 and go up to $30.00, I've used them before on my cnc table and they work great.
Any chance you know where a guy could score a set of the towing mirrors like the old J trucks had, I've looked around but had no luck
99 Wrangler
07 Dodge 3500
67 Chevy SWB
2 furry shop bosses (Ash & Duke(RIP 2/13/16))
Old 03-14-2017, 09:54 AM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ziebert
I'm with Liz, snicker, snicker, giggle!

I should of figured...

Todd, do you have a picture of the mirrors? I have a set of truck mirrors on my wag that I want to change out to something more car like. And I believe I have a set of truck mirrors in the shipping container. No promises but I might have something.

I am being pulled away from jeep work today. My neighbor who is paralyzed from the chest down had his side door fail on he wheel chair van again. I need to go help by trying to get it fixed. I worked on it a couple weeks ago. But the repair was difficult and it really needs a new hinge. I shall return after getting him squared away.
And a few more providing high end housing for mice.
I want Adams Stepside.
Jeepers Disease, The uneasy feeling of being on dry pavement.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I should of figured...

Todd, do you have a picture of the mirrors? I have a set of truck mirrors on my wag that I want to change out to something more car like. And I believe I have a set of truck mirrors in the shipping container. No promises but I might have something.

I am being pulled away from jeep work today. My neighbor who is paralyzed from the chest down had his side door fail on he wheel chair van again. I need to go help by trying to get it fixed. I worked on it a couple weeks ago. But the repair was difficult and it really needs a new hinge. I shall return after getting him squared away.
I would love to show you a picture, but I'm not having any luck getting one to show up. try this link. https://www.flickr.com/photos/repete...-e1Eyzt-4us67p
99 Wrangler
07 Dodge 3500
67 Chevy SWB
Old 03-15-2017, 12:29 PM
Master Mechanic

What a sweet truck!!! Ok I will take a couple photo's of what I have. Then you can decide. These don't have the upper support. Just door mounts.

I worked on my neighbors door in the rain till after dark with a headlamp on. I made some parts and got it shutting with a two finger push. Better than when we picked it up for him last Christmas. I hooked up all the mechanical assist and sent him on his way. There is another day to be spent on the ramp and actuator but that is coming. Thus guy was normal as all of us just 4 years ago.
A odd and rare disease crept in and mess up everything from his chest down. Nothing works anymore at all. Be grateful for our health. Every day is a gift.

I found Crown makes the correct frame bump stop for wagoneers. I was looking for a bigger Moog bullet style and accidentally found the right ones. I will take a picture and post a part number tonight. I need to get back out there and finish the front axle completely. I am taking the wheels and tires off the J4000 I just bought, and putting them on Sadie. I won't have to worry about paint or overspray on anything that way. That frees me up to take the wheels in to Hayden ID for a creme colored powder coating. I will stay on it till I have the axle coated in a generous coat of liquid masking. Then a quick clean up and the steering column is next!!! The seat frames will get a painting after that. The end of the looooong tunnel is showing itself.
I want Adams Stepside.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:29 PM
Master Mechanic

What a sweet truck!!! Ok I will take a couple photo's of what I have. Then you can decide. These don't have the upper support. Just door mounts.

I worked on my neighbors door in the rain till after dark with a headlamp on. I made some parts and got it shutting with a two finger push. Better than when we picked it up for him last Christmas. I hooked up all the mechanical assist and sent him on his way. There is another day to be spent on the ramp and actuator but that is coming. Thus guy was normal as all of us just 4 years ago.
A odd and rare disease crept in and mess up everything from his chest down. Nothing works anymore at all. Be grateful for our health. Every day is a gift.

I found Crown makes the correct frame bump stop for wagoneers. I was looking for a bigger Moog bullet style and accidentally found the right ones. I will take a picture and post a part number tonight. I need to get back out there and finish the front axle completely. I am taking the wheels and tires off the J4000 I just bought, and putting them on Sadie. I won't have to worry about paint or overspray on anything that way. That frees me up to take the wheels in to Hayden ID for a creme colored powder coating. I will stay on it till I have the axle coated in a generous coat of liquid masking. Then a quick clean up and the steering column is next!!! The seat frames will get a painting after that. The end of the looooong tunnel is showing itself.
I want Adams Stepside.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I'd like to see them. Yeah that truck was awesome!!
99 Wrangler
07 Dodge 3500
67 Chevy SWB
Old 03-15-2017, 07:05 PM
Master Mechanic

Well I had these two sets. Don't feel obligated if you want something in better shape.
First set have long mounting arms. Metal is pretty good and should polish out nicely. The glass is scratched on one.

Second set is on my 69. Short mounting arms and there is delamination of the chrome in a couple spots. There is a repair weld on both sides done by a previous owner where the round arm holding the mirror mounts to the flat mounting arms. Glass is good

Let me know if you want either. Shoot me a PM with your addy if so. I don't want anything for them.

Ok, so I finished the axle assembly. All new brakes, drums and hardware. Metal was clear coated to help stave off corrosion.

I set the bigger 68 Catalina lug studs in the bearing hubs. One of the bearing hubs probably should have been replaced. They went in a little easy so I decided to put them in a bed of JB weld.

I checked them with a mini square.

I put tension on the loose ones.

And let them cure overnight. They look good and I am pretty confident they needed this.

I dislike this part of axle work. It is impossible to keep grease off of everything else. But it insures the bearing is full and has no air pockets.

Got it all together and it looks just great.

I only placed the new locking hubs on for a photo. I put the old ones back on so I don't have to worry about paint overspray or scratching them.

Time for some liquid overspray guard. It looks like hair gel all over. Overspray guard is completely non toxic. The dust mask is just for any mists created while spraying.

I tried to put Sadies wheels and tires on the J4000 outside. So I could use the truck wheels and tires for painting. I was not able to get the center bore of Sadies wheels to fit over the old style locking hub. It was just a very tiny bit to small. I probably could chase the inner dia with a drum sander, but I hope to have the aluminum slotted mags on the truck before a couple weeks is up. I will put the J trucks wheels on Sadie then. I discovered ceracote for the mags. Impressive stuff and made for what I am doing. I have 10 lbs of black walnut shell media on the way to the home depot an hour away. I might detail the wheel rebuild when I do it. I am all excited about the truck. I can't get sidetracked though....

And as promised, the front frame bump stops. I had purchased a Moog set of bullet style bump stops. They were pretty small. This morning I was searching for a bigger set and accidentally found out that Crown makes the correct ones. These things.

Crown part number JO931263
I ordered 4 of them. 2 for Sadie and two for me.

So next is a good shop cleaning. Then I will take apart the steering column and get it all fancy. I sure milked out the axle. I will try to get the column done before 2018 sets in.

And who ever took my beloved coffee cup, Kindly return it.
I'm not getting my 1 gallon daily allotment.

More soon.
I want Adams Stepside.

Last edited by Kaiserjeeps : 03-15-2017 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Well I had these two sets. Don't feel obligated if you want something in better shape.
First set have long mounting arms. Metal is pretty good and should polish out nicely. The glass is scratched on one.

Second set is on my 69. Short mounting arms and there is delamination of the chrome in a couple spots. There is a repair weld on both sides done by a previous owner where the round arm holding the mirror mounts to the flat mounting arms. Glass is good

Let me know if you want either. Shoot me a PM with your addy if so. I don't want anything for them.
Well heck! I wish those were the ones I'm looking for I have heard some people call the ones I'm looking for "west coast mirrors", not sure why. I can't thank you enough for the offer though. All of the new progress on Sadie looks great, as always
99 Wrangler
07 Dodge 3500
67 Chevy SWB
Old 03-16-2017, 10:19 AM
Master Mechanic

No sweat. I had west coast mirrors on my duece and a half. Now I know what you are looking for. Glad I sold that behemoth.
I want Adams Stepside.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:06 PM

I bet that thing was a headache. once again, thanks for the offer on the mirrors
99 Wrangler
07 Dodge 3500
67 Chevy SWB
Old 03-16-2017, 10:38 PM
Master Mechanic

No sweat...

Well photobucket is being a PITA. So I will post pictures later. After replacing a brand new leaky injector on my flatbed today, I dove into the steering column. I was able to get it completely apart and even got all the parts glass beaded that I could. So it is looking good. I already ordered a new neutral safety switch, a new rebuild kit for the bottom end where the coupler is, and I even located a correct Warn decal stating the car has warn hubs for the glove box door. All of it from partsdude4x4.com a jeepster site for the most part. But he has a lot of great stuff for all jeeps. That is the guy whom sells the kaiser and AMC round emblems for the grille. Plus all the other emblems he has. Good place and high quality parts.

I just tried PB again and it keeps giving me an error. Maybe later...
I want Adams Stepside.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:08 AM
Master Mechanic

Well photobucket is working. Everybody must be working this morning.

Here is the column before taking it all apart. That is Sadies 4 barrel Rochester quadrajet sitting behind it with all new rebuild parts behind it. The list of rebuild parts is shrinking.

There is a lot going on inside this thing. I took a ton of pictures so I can refer to them on assembly. It was dirty and cruddy inside.

Everything all on the bench.

I plugged the bore with the bearing and glass beaded everything that I could.

It should clean up nicely. As mentioned I found a new neutral safety switch already. I had purchased a new turn signal switch but may not use it. This one was replaced recently. Partsdude4x4.com has the correct turn sig and hazard switch assembly for sale. I don't think it will be needed here. the only real issue I saw was a faded red handle on the hazard switch.

So I found a quality USA made metal shear. I have been looking pretty hard twice a day. I got a call this morning from a company over north of Seattle. They have a newer 36 inch Tennsmith shear for 990.00 He is putting a sharpened blade on it for me. A 2600 dollar value. So a road trip is in order. I will stay with Sadies owner Bill for a night. It will be just great to see him and the family. Then back home for more progress.
I want Adams Stepside.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:11 AM
Gear Head

Are you a paying PB user and having these problems?

I haven't had any problems since I ponied up the fee. Only been a few weeks though.

Looking good. I'm about to start on my column. It's for an auto so I have to do some modifying to clean it up.

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:11 AM
Master Mechanic

I have been trying to resist paying the fee. But what it probably buys is time. Less time messing around. So I just may do it.

Currently to cold to do much painting with 17 and 19 the last couple mornings. I am getting caught up on some home remodeling and a couple needed truck repairs. Working till midnight and getting up early. The parts I ordered should be here soon also.
I want Adams Stepside.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I have been trying to resist paying the fee. But what it probably buys is time. Less time messing around. So I just may do it.

Currently to cold to do much painting with 17 and 19 the last couple mornings. I am getting caught up on some home remodeling and a couple needed truck repairs. Working till midnight and getting up early. The parts I ordered should be here soon also.

Al the radiator I thought I would have is probably not going to be worth it. Found where it has been leaking from both the top and the bottom.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:55 AM
Gear Head

That's what I decided. I hadn't updated my thread for months due to the new ads and pop-ups, etc. $15 Worth of my time saved the first time I used it. And the reduced frustration is priceless.

Still not as fast as I had hoped but I think it's due to my old Aspire One netbook running XP.

I do a lot of silly things to save a buck but dealing with FB lately was beyond silly.

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Last edited by SJTD : 03-20-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM
Master Mechanic

I'll say. The best part about finishing Sadie is not having to deal with PB. I think I will do what you did SJTD and pay up. If it eliminated the problems it would be worth it. And I could use it for my next build. Putting the builds in a thread online is a great way for the owners to see what I am doing. The enxt build is a Jeepster that is already here. Not a full size but I will find a proper forum for it.

So my wonderful wife returned yesterday from AK. Boy did I have a bachelor pad to clean up. I spent the two weeks multitasking and got a room addition mostly done in the garage. I got in the steering column parts and will post up some stuff soon. I have two days left on wiring outlets and paint. And I found a really nice used 36 inch Tennsmith shear in North Seattle. I was preparing to leave tomorrow and found they would ship it here for only 200 bucks! Perfect. I saved a lot of money buying used. It is USA made and has freshly sharpened blades. I am eager to make door sill plates. I hope I can do it cheaply and sell them.

My neighbor has a 1970 complete jeep truck he is selling me for 250. I can't wait to get it. I hope it has the parts I need and hopefully I won't decide to keep it together. I believe I have a jeep disease.

Good stuff is abound.
I want Adams Stepside.