8 Lug Drum brake parts avalibility? Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cosworth
    232 I6
    • Feb 07, 2017

8 Lug Drum brake parts avalibility? Help!

Ive recently picked up a 1969 J-3000 "Camper Special" (I was told)

The truck needs the entire brakes overhauled before I really get started doing anything else to the truck. But I'm running into a roadblock sourcing parts for the brakes. Its 8 lug front and back close knuckle axles

Can anyone help me on if anything else came with the parts id need? Ive been browsing rock auto etc and I cannot find replacement parts.

I do not want to get into swapping out axles etc. I really just want to leave the truck as is for now, but get it working like it should.
  • cosworth
    232 I6
    • Feb 07, 2017

Doing some research it looks like parts from a 69 Ford F250 may be a match for the truck. I hope to get time this weekend to actually pull the parts and take some measurements.

I do understand its somewhat dumb to ask the question before having the parts in my hand, but I'm judging how big of a project this will be just to make it a viable driver. Parts availability for its current setup is key.

Comment

• tgreese
      • May 29, 2003

There is a parts manual that covers that year here - http://oljeep.com/parts_man/62-73_FS...talog_w_bm.pdf

One approach is to look up the Jeep PNs for what you need and search the net for the number ie "Jeep <the part number>". Very often this works with the PN lookup at RockAuto.com.

Searching for parts on RockAuto by application can be difficult for old Jeep applications, especially for less common vehicles like the J-trucks. The parts sellers typically pick the applications for their parts from the Hollander's Guide that the junkyards use, and if there is a mistake, it propagates forever.

If you can, work with your local parts store to get what you need. Look for an older, privately owned store that has experienced (usually older) counter people. They may have the old books that cover your application accurately. If you are a good customer, they should be willing to get parts in that they think will work and you can compare them before buying. They can order stuff from their local warehouses and send it back at no cost to them, other than the labor to order and return the parts. Again, if you are a good customer, they will help you, especially if you come in when the store is not busy (not Saturday, and not 30 minutes before closing) and have an interesting and unusual vehicle.
      Tim Reese
      Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
      Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
      Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
      GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
      ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• tgreese
        • May 29, 2003

Did you look at RockAuto?

J-3000 only tells you the wheelbase, it does not tell you the GVWR. The heaviest GVWR will have 8 lugs and is a J-3800.

Jeep -> 1969 -> J-3800 -> 5.7L 350cid V8 -> Brake & Wheel Hub

I don't see much that's missing. Looks like you have plenty of choices of brands. What specifically were you looking for that is missing?

Do you have the TSM for your year? Cheap on CD-ROM http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....183025&jsn=423 - that will help you a lot.
        Tim Reese
        Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.

Comment

• cosworth
          232 I6
          • Feb 07, 2017

This is a huge help I really appreciate it.

Drums are my main concern right now.

Comment

• itselliot
            350 Buick
            • Aug 28, 2010

I have a used set from my J20...converted the D60 to disc. so Backing plates and drums ...
            PM me
            If the PM's are full,...try e mail!
            [email protected]
            616 four 03 44 0 five
            '78 J-20 401 Q/T not quite stock anymore....Frame off Resto Mod..Super Cab nearing completion. SOMEDAY
            "90 GW 360/727/229/3:31s 2" lift (SOLD in 2015)
            '78 CJ7 Built from Scratch over a 7 year span.

Comment

• cosworth
              232 I6
              • Feb 07, 2017

Much appreciated. I will keep that in mind.

I'm really just scouting parts before I dive into the project. I don't want to deal with swapping axles etc.

Comment

• KaiserMan
                I got the Willys....
                • Jun 21, 2005

Originally posted by itselliot
                I have a used set from my J20...converted the D60 to disc. so Backing plates and drums ...
                PM me
                Wrong drums unfortunately. His as 12.125x2" while yours are 12x2.5".
                Thomas Russell
                1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
                1971 Gladiator
                J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
                1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

• cosworth
                  232 I6
                  • Feb 07, 2017

I was afraid of that with the year.

It looks like the 69 ford stuff may work some of the 8 lug stuff had 12x2.5" brake shoes. This drum shows to be front or rear "behind the hub" CENTRIC 12365009. But other than this the fronts for that particular truck show "floating"

Comment

• cosworth
                    232 I6
                    • Feb 07, 2017

I could really use some help locating drums for my truck. I think I could have them turned if absolutely necessary but id really like to just replace the drums.

I did find BOM's on my axles but didnt find much information
                    Front 603124-1
                    Rear 603125-1

I was able to determine that early f250 trucks had 8 lug but I cant for sure determine if they are the same drum..

Comment

• tgreese
                      • May 29, 2003

Where are you located?

If I could not find new drums, I would try to find some serviceable used ones. If you can find a good used pair for the rear, the fronts are fairly easy to convert to disks. Lots of places offer conversion kits, or you can scrounge junk yard parts. There are plenty of articles online about this - all the closed-knuckle axles are the same in this regard.

Most drums are serviceable until they are 60 thousandths oversized. They can be turned beyond that size, but you will 1) have to find a shop that will turn them beyond the max spec and 2) worry about the self-adjusters not working as the shoes wear. Again, the rears don't provide much braking force, and don't wear as fast, so oversized drums on the rear and a front disk conversion might be your best option.

For used drums, you could try one of the Jeep junkyards that specializes in Wagoneers and J-trucks. the two main ones that I know of are Montana Overland (near Billings?) and Jakes in NC (PM member Tanker here).
                      Tim Reese

Comment

• cosworth
                        232 I6
                        • Feb 07, 2017

Im located in south texas. Right now im trying to cross the drums over to other brands. Same year F250's had 8x6.5 drums a couple appear to be the same or close. I will probably purchase a couple and see what works.

If all else fails I can clean these up on my lathe but would perfer new.

Comment

• KaiserMan
                          I got the Willys....
                          • Jun 21, 2005

Have you tried NAPA? They still show fronts as available, and fronts can easily be made into rears on these trucks.

Napa PN is: ND 4401126

69-73 J3800/J4800's should all have the same (or incredibly similar) drum. Rock auto lists them for 72-73 J4800's for $36.
                          Thomas Russell
                          1971 Gladiator

Comment

• cosworth
                            232 I6
                            • Feb 07, 2017

The only problem I see with that drum is its a 12"x2" drum this truck was ordered with 12-1/8"x2" drums. Its only .125" difference

Fortunately I found the rear drums! So the rear is good to go. I also think I have found the correct 12-1/8x2 drum for the front. So I should be back on the road soon.

Comment

• KaiserMan
                              I got the Willys....
                              • Jun 21, 2005

Originally posted by cosworth
                              The only problem I see with that drum is its a 12"x2" drum this truck was ordered with 12-1/8"x2" drums. Its only .125" difference

Fortunately I found the rear drums! So the rear is good to go. I also think I have found the correct 12-1/8x2 drum for the front. So I should be back on the road soon.
                              It's a typo. If you enter a 73 J4800 for a vehicle on NAPA's website and just search for brake drums they are correctly listed as 12.125x2 drums. It's only listed as a 12x2 when you click the link and look under specs.

The rock auto ones are listed correctly as 12.125x2.
                              Thomas Russell
                              1971 Gladiator

Comment

Working...
                              X