Have you tried Mobil 1 synthetic chassis grease?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    304 AMC
    • Apr 08, 2001

Have you tried Mobil 1 synthetic chassis grease?

I have and am not happy with the results...it seems to liquify and leak out all over the place. I need to read the label again but don't see why this should happen.
    David
    76 NT Cherokee
    83 CJ7
    05 Frontier CC 4x2
  • UnkleMunky
    350 Buick
    • Oct 17, 2000

You're talking "grease" here, not "oil", right? Like "where" did you apply the stuff? I haven't tried it, but have been seriously considering going synthetics in my driveline for fluids. That would mean replacing 80W90 with synthetic equivalent in both axles, tranny, and t-case, which all use the same fluid. Hope that isn't what you're referring to. If it's "grease", what kind(numbers?) and "where" did you put it on the Jeep?

Just wondering, as that does not sound good. Did you make sure on the label it said it was "compatible" with convential grease(or whatever you used)? I know that some bearing greases are not compatible.
    Michael (UnkleMunky)
    '78 J10: 258, 4 speed(T18), longbed, topper
    '01 Oldsmobile Sihouette
    Some dogs, a few fountain pens...and too many sewing machines...

Comment

304 AMC
      • Apr 08, 2001

I double checked the label and it is Mobil 1 Synthetic Universal Grease. I used it on the front steering components

Here is the info from the website:

---------------------------------------------

Mobil 1® Synthetic Grease

Product Description

Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease is an NLGI No. 2 high-performance grease which combines a synthetic base fluid with a lithium complex soap thickener. The thickener system provides a high dropping point, while additives impart optimum extreme-pressure properties and excellent resistance to water wash, and outstanding protection against rust and corrosion. Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease has excellent structural stability and low-temperature pumpability, making it an outstanding automotive grease.

Applications

Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease meets the requirements of the National Lubricating Grease institute (NLGI) performance classification GC-LB. It is recommended for automotive applications at both high and low temperatures. It is particularly suited for applications such as disc brake wheel bearings, ball and steering joints, and universal joints. It will provide outstanding bearing protection under heavy loads at any highway speed, and where moisture or condensation are factors.

Typical Characteristics

Physical characteristics are shown in the table. Values not shown as maximum are typical and may vary slightly.

---------------------------------------------

I used the Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil along with a friction modifier in my Dodge and it worked well. So I am not bashing them but I don't think their grease is up to snuff.
      David
      76 NT Cherokee
      83 CJ7
      05 Frontier CC 4x2

Comment

• UnkleMunky
        350 Buick
        • Oct 17, 2000

I am pretty sure #2 is regular ol' grease, so if it's supposedly #2 approved, sounds like you were doing it right. As long as that's the type of grease called for there(I'd gather so). Have you tried "non-synthetic" grease(#2) in there? How does that do? It sounds like you were using it as should be. You might want to find an 800 number for Mobil and get on their customer service lines and see what they have to say!
        Michael (UnkleMunky)
        '78 J10: 258, 4 speed(T18), longbed, topper
        '01 Oldsmobile Sihouette
        Some dogs, a few fountain pens...and too many sewing machines...

Comment

Working...
        X