What model S10 donor for steering gear box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Copenhagen1
    230 Tornado
    • May 01, 2007

What model S10 donor for steering gear box?

I have done a lot of searches and read a lot of threads about changing the steering gear box out for an S10 version. I have seen where it has 3 holes instead of 4. I have read where it seems to steer a little tighter.
    But for the life of me, I cannot find what year S10 to look for. I read where it says "late model" but that doesn't help me figure out which one to order.

I have an 85 GW that has developed a nice leak in the input shaft. I need to fix this because it is driving me crazy . Will my lines fit the S10 steering box or will I need new lines?

Any help would be greatly appreciated .

CH1
  • xsonmyeyes
    350 Buick
    • Dec 13, 2004

I think 95-98 4wd but I could be wrong...someone else will chime in. Did you search the forum section??
    '91 Grand Wagoneer- New Long Block 05-10 W/ Edelbrock Performer Manifold, Carb, & HEI upgrade w/Taylor wires...and lotsa CHROME!--Chevy S-10 Steering box upgrade--3" body lift--31' BFG's
    2006 Harley Davidson 1200 Custom Sportster--
    2008 Harley Davidson 1200 Low Sporster
    '86 Chevy G20 Van
    '96 Pontiac Grand AM

Comment

• flatbackdragon
      304 AMC
      • Aug 22, 2003

believe it was 94-2000 s10's 4wheeldrive, not 2.
      your lines will fit.
      "There's an inner idiot in us just waiting to climb out and romp about in unabashed stupidity, but most people retain just enough wit to keep the idiot bottled up."
      Gary Harmon-writer for Grand Junction Daily Sentinel (newspaper)

Phil (or Flip, Dragon)
      Draco-79 Cherokee 360/QT-4" lift-pretty much stock and trying to fall apart

Comment

• shepherdskeep
        258 I6
        • Aug 12, 2006

My Chero has a gearbox from a '98 4wd on it. As long as the FSJ is early 80's or newer the lines will bolt up. Older FSJ's (like mine) need to have the fittings adapted.
        Last edited by shepherdskeep; 07-03-2007, 07:48 PM.
        -Rob

Bluegill on www.4x4Grace.com

79 Cherokee WT
        01 TJ Sport

It's a Jeep thing!

Comment

• flatbackdragon
          304 AMC
          • Aug 22, 2003

the three bolt box will hold up unless you run 35" tires and wheel hard than usual.
          If you want a four bolt box for jeeps NAPA has them
          NSP276528 cost 174. w/core charge of 139.00 unless you have your old one with you then no core charge
          NSP276507 is a three bolt jeep box 154.00 w/core of 11.01 (cheap core huh?)
          "There's an inner idiot in us just waiting to climb out and romp about in unabashed stupidity, but most people retain just enough wit to keep the idiot bottled up."
          Gary Harmon-writer for Grand Junction Daily Sentinel (newspaper)

Phil (or Flip, Dragon)
          Draco-79 Cherokee 360/QT-4" lift-pretty much stock and trying to fall apart

Comment

• shepherdskeep
            258 I6
            • Aug 12, 2006

Originally posted by flatbackdragon
            the three bolt box will hold up unless you run 35" tires and wheel hard than usual.
            That would be me, and my 3-bolt box is holding up just fine.
            Doesn't want to turn when the front tires are wedged against a rock that's bigger than my hood though
            Last edited by shepherdskeep; 07-03-2007, 07:56 PM.
            -Rob

Bluegill on www.4x4Grace.com

79 Cherokee WT
            01 TJ Sport

It's a Jeep thing!

Comment

• Copenhagen1
              230 Tornado
              • May 01, 2007

Thank you guys. That was really fast. I will not be running anything bigger than 32" tires in the near future. I actually bought this Jeep to put on my deer hunting property and only drive during deer season.

It runs great. I got all the windows and lights and everything working. I ordered new window seals (inner and outer) because it will sit outside. I ordered a fuel sending unit and got that guage working. I just need this dang leak fixed.

After I replaced the window seals, I made a huge mistake. I washed it !
              Now , I think I am beginning to really like the thing and I may end up registering it and driving it. It is such a blast to drive. The seats are like big pieces of furniture.

Thanks again.

CH1

Comment

• willysworker
                232 I6
                • Jul 27, 2001

napa box

Originally posted by flatbackdragon
                If you want a four bolt box for jeeps NAPA has them
                NSP276528 cost 174. w/core charge of 139.00 unless you have your old one with you then no core charge
                NSP276507 is a three bolt jeep box 154.00 w/core of 11.01 (cheap core huh?)
                IMHO forget Napa's. I got a replacement box and it's junk. It's sloppy and only a couple years old. I will be replacing but not with another Napa unit.
                '55 Willys w/Chief chassis and running gear. 360,t18,d20,d44's on 33' BFG's. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2451568

Comment

• palexand
                  258 I6
                  • Sep 05, 2009

Donor S10 year ranges ???

Hope I didn't miss the answer elsewhere here gang, but I'm looking for the definitive year range that the S10 gearbox can be had to fit the early '80's and up FSJ's (for sure)...it's not here.

I've seen people claim these years...and maybe others. I'd like the most recent from the recycling yard when going shopping tomorrow.
                  1. '94-'98
                  2. '94-'00
                  3. '94-'01
                  4. '96-'98
                  I ask because the car-part.com query when requesting a '98 s10 4X4 gearbox returns models from '95-'04...heck, if I could get an '04, I'd be better off.
                  Last edited by palexand; 11-19-2009, 01:46 AM.
                  -P
                  // How a carb's choke circuit works
                  // How to troubleshoot a carb's choke circuit

Comment

• Cannaert
                    232 I6
                    • Sep 16, 2009

It is for a 95 to 03 4WD S-10. Same PS box. Autozone part # is 7577
                    82 to 03 2WD and 82 -94 4WD are different. Autozone part # is 7575 (ZQ8 is 7576)

I know my S-10s well. Been In love with them since the 4th grade.
                    Hope that helps out with what years you need to look up.

Comment

• shiner2001
                      350 Buick
                      • Feb 19, 2008

Originally posted by Copenhagen1
                      Thank you guys. That was really fast. I will not be running anything bigger than 32" tires in the near future. I actually bought this Jeep to put on my deer hunting property and only drive during deer season.

It runs great. I got all the windows and lights and everything working. I ordered new window seals (inner and outer) because it will sit outside. I ordered a fuel sending unit and got that guage working. I just need this dang leak fixed.

After I replaced the window seals, I made a huge mistake. I washed it !
                      Now , I think I am beginning to really like the thing and I may end up registering it and driving it. It is such a blast to drive. The seats are like big pieces of furniture.

Thanks again.

CH1

Did you get the camo one with the huge bumpers that was on Craigslist in Mineola? I just saw "east Texas" and "deer season" so I figured that may be the one.
                      Derek
                      ----------------
                      1973 Wagoneer 360
                      1978 Cherokee 360
                      1981 J10 360

----------------
                      1964 El Camino 357
                      1972 C10 454 LS6
                      1979 Corvette L82
                      1979 Scout II 345
                      1988 YJ 4.2L
                      1991 YJ 4.3L
                      1990 Suburban V2500 350
                      1998 Mark VIII 4.6L
                      2001 Yukon 5.3L

----------------
                      "If it's not broken, fix it 'till it is."

Comment

• shiner2001
                        350 Buick
                        • Feb 19, 2008

Originally posted by Copenhagen1

I have an 85 GW that has developed a nice leak in the input shaft. I need to fix this because it is driving me crazy .

CH1
                        And to help out in the meantime, try Lucas's power steering stop leak. The 73 I just got the other day was leaking BAD (dry reservoir in about 50 miles, NO power steering) and I completely filled it with the Lucas the day I got it and have driven it since without adding any. Now, it still leaks a little bit, but it's a HUGE improvement over before. A smaller leak may be completely cured with the stuff.

Just something that may help you out until you get it replaced.
                        Derek
                        ----------------
                        1973 Wagoneer 360
                        1978 Cherokee 360
                        1981 J10 360

----------------
                        1964 El Camino 357
                        1972 C10 454 LS6
                        1979 Corvette L82
                        1979 Scout II 345
                        1988 YJ 4.2L
                        1991 YJ 4.3L
                        1990 Suburban V2500 350
                        1998 Mark VIII 4.6L
                        2001 Yukon 5.3L

----------------

Comment

• Headhoncho
                          AMC 4 OH! 1
                          • Oct 11, 2006

I converted mine to an S-10 box and converted it right back a week later. Couldn't stand it. I wish you were closer as I'll make you a deal on my old S-10 box.

JR
                          [quote] "How does someone from Iran have a BJ's Offroad sticker but I can't seem to get one sent to New Jersey???!!!"

1980 Honcho Sportside w/37's, 351c, 14" lift, D44high pinion w/Aussie, crossover steering, 14b w/detroit, np435, 205, 5.13's, 4whl discs, hb brakes, OBAir, rusted out cab,
                          1966 mustang fastback
                          '07 Dodge Charger 3.5

Comment

• shiner2001
                            350 Buick
                            • Feb 19, 2008

Originally posted by Headhoncho
                            I converted mine to an S-10 box and converted it right back a week later. Couldn't stand it. I wish you were closer as I'll make you a deal on my old S-10 box.

JR
                            Why did you not like it? I've been looking at doing the swap myself...
                            Derek
                            ----------------
                            1973 Wagoneer 360
                            1978 Cherokee 360
                            1981 J10 360

----------------
                            1964 El Camino 357
                            1972 C10 454 LS6
                            1979 Corvette L82
                            1979 Scout II 345
                            1988 YJ 4.2L
                            1991 YJ 4.3L
                            1990 Suburban V2500 350
                            1998 Mark VIII 4.6L
                            2001 Yukon 5.3L

----------------

Comment

• Headhoncho
                              AMC 4 OH! 1
                              • Oct 11, 2006

Originally posted by shiner2001
                              Why did you not like it? I've been looking at doing the swap myself...
                              It felt like the effort to turn the wheel was far greater than it was with the stock box. Felt like driving a truck with manual steering.
                              My truck has 37's with crossover steering and I can turn the wheel lock to lock with one finger with the stock box.

JR
                              [quote] "How does someone from Iran have a BJ's Offroad sticker but I can't seem to get one sent to New Jersey???!!!"

1980 Honcho Sportside w/37's, 351c, 14" lift, D44high pinion w/Aussie, crossover steering, 14b w/detroit, np435, 205, 5.13's, 4whl discs, hb brakes, OBAir, rusted out cab,
                              1966 mustang fastback
                              '07 Dodge Charger 3.5

Comment

Working...
                              X