Variable hight (2" or 4" lift) shackle flip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DanHS
    • Aug 29, 2004

Variable hight (2" or 4" lift) shackle flip?

I was thinking of ways to deal with the sagging rear on the GW. I wanted to pick it up a couple inches over stock while fixing it so I could stuff the 31's nicely and maybe fit 32's. I guess installing BJ's 2" lift springs would be easiest, but they would cost $260 and I plan to do a 4" lift in the somewhat near future. I could go with non sagging used springs and AAL's, or a 1" zero rate AAL and an extra spring, but it seems like a little too much hassle.

Then I thought of doing a shackle flip, if I used a short shackle and put the pivot on the hanger close to the frame, I could probably get 2" inches over stock out of that, correct? Then, I could use a longer shackle and lower the pivot for an additional 2" for a 4" lift in the future, is that correct? At that time I could use 4" front springs and new 4" lift shocks, dropped pitman arm, etc. Would the shackle for a 2" lift be too short? I figure the bracket could have two mounting points for shackles, one for the short shackle closer to the frame, and one a little further from the frame to fit the longer shackle. Perhaps I could even work it out to use just one shackle and two mounting points for it. The stock springs sag like 2", so a shackle flip that would generate 4" on good springs would give me my 2", and a 6" flip would give me the 4". I wonder if the springs being that worn would be a problem though. What do you guys who have done several shackle flips think?
    Last edited by DanHS; 05-02-2007, 08:49 PM.
    '84 Grand Wagoneer 360/727/229, 32" General ST's and 36" Swampers, 3" lift, TFI/Mallory 6AL, CS 144, Taurus fan, custom bumper, and custom 'bodywork'. Soon to have 6" lift

'79 Cherokee S 360/T15/D20, rusting away while I figure out what to do with it

'91 Final Edition GW in Spinnaker Blue!

My FSJ pics

FSJ Grille Identification
  • DanHS
    • Aug 29, 2004

Bump.

Perhaps I should put this in offroad instead?
    '84 Grand Wagoneer 360/727/229, 32" General ST's and 36" Swampers, 3" lift, TFI/Mallory 6AL, CS 144, Taurus fan, custom bumper, and custom 'bodywork'. Soon to have 6" lift

'79 Cherokee S 360/T15/D20, rusting away while I figure out what to do with it

'91 Final Edition GW in Spinnaker Blue!

My FSJ pics

FSJ Grille Identification

Comment

• Gambler68
      Rabble Rouser
      • Feb 29, 2004

I have two short THICK AAL's if you want to try them. I'm not going to be using them. I think they are the JC Whitney ones that are 35 a piece, you can have em for 40 shipped via fedex. All you'll need to do is maybe drop the brake line down a notch and get spring pins.
      1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
      1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
      The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
      Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

Working...
      X