International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tech Archives > Suspension and Steering

Old 10-25-2001, 02:49 AM
Master Mechanic

Thanks for the GREAT info and ideas RB. So now I'm thinking that if I fabbed a rear bracket like yours and corrected the pinion angle that I'd be in business. Cool!

Thanks,
Andy
Old 10-26-2001, 04:22 PM

hey, i work in a sheet metal fab shop so i make lots of different brackets and such the brakets you need are eazy to fab a total of 10 minutes a piece so i can make them again i still have the patteren dennis
Old 10-27-2001, 12:42 AM
Master Mechanic

Question

Can someone please explain what "pinion angle" is? What has to be concidered when flipping shackles? Is it the angle of the universal joints in relation to the position of the diff and t-case?
I have done the rear shackle flip, keeping the front mount in its original position. No other mods have been done to allow for or compensate for pinion angle. As in these links.
Shackle Flip Page
Shackle Flip Pic

'82 Cherokee Sportsman II,360, auto. As it rolled of the Show Room floor. Except for; LPG conversion, On board air, O2 sensor, rear shackle flip and extended front shackles....Dual batteries on the way Model T timing.
Bearhunters Home Page
Old 10-28-2001, 04:21 PM

Pinion angle is the angle of your driveshaft to the yoke on your t-case or differential.

Hey RB, if you could I would love a set of drawings for those brackets and anything else needed for this mod to work. I'm going to do the SOA up front and would like to stay away from blocks. Also thought about getting some 4" rear springs and just raising stuff about 3" rather than 7". hehe

Thanks,
Anthony
Old 10-29-2001, 01:52 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cecil14:
Hey RB, if you could I would love a set of drawings for those brackets and anything else needed for this mod to work. I'm going to do the SOA up front and would like to stay away from blocks. Also thought about getting some 4" rear springs and just raising stuff about 3" rather than 7". hehe

Thanks,
Anthony
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you are confused a little... the SOA gives you 6-7" REGARDLESS of springs... just as the rear shackle inversion will get you the same 6-7" REGARDLESS of springs...that's why you don't need blocks with this mod
Old 10-29-2001, 02:29 AM

RB - ok, think I got that now. What I mean though is that an option could be to get 4" rear springs and do something else in the rear to gain the additional 3" you would need to cover the SOA up in front.

Would still like to keep everything else open as an option though,

Thanks,
Anthony
Old 10-29-2001, 03:07 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cecil14:
RB - ok, think I got that now. What I mean though is that an option could be to get 4" rear springs and do something else in the rear to gain the additional 3" you would need to cover the SOA up in front.

Would still like to keep everything else open as an option though,

Thanks,
Anthony
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well...now that you have a 4" spring, you would need a 2-3" block to level it out tpo the SOA up front...or... mod the OEM shackel mont like described above to get 3"...but be careful. Taking the risk of doing this type of mode always turns into more than you bargained for...
Old 10-29-2001, 10:53 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by River Beast:

Well...now that you have a 4" spring, you would need a 2-3" block to level it out tpo the SOA up front...or... mod the OEM shackel mont like described above to get 3"...but be careful. Taking the risk of doing this type of mode always turns into more than you bargained for...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course it is! It wouldn't be any fun if it went exactly as planned. I would like to stay away from blocks whatever I do and I figured it would be easier to make a 3" mod versus a 7" mod. Could be wrong though, that's why I'm here. hehe

Thanks,
Anthony