• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rockjeep44
    The Advisor
    • Oct 15, 2001

Suburban rear spring length

Ok, I'm hitting up the junkyards for some rear 'Burb springs so I can finish this SOA and get my shop cleaned out this weekend and ready to get my jeep torn down. My question is what all years should I keep my eyes open for, what is the length eye to eye with no weight on the spring, and will Chevy truck springs work if I can't find a 'Burb? Also, if anyone can get the eye to pin length for both sides with no weight on the spring that would be awesome. TIA
    -Andrew
    Buggy Buildup

Originally posted by welchct
    There are about 5 trails that actualy have section that are upwards of 85* and climb 40-50 feet at this deg.
    "The combination of fine split tail and fine whiskey will make any man lose focus." -FSJeeper
  • rockjeep44
    The Advisor
    • Oct 15, 2001

Ok I know I need to be looking for '93-00 burb springs so I'm good there but will '93-00 1500 truck springs work?
    Buggy Buildup

There are about 5 trails that actualy have section that are upwards of 85* and climb 40-50 feet at this deg.
    "The combination of fine split tail and fine whiskey will make any man lose focus." -FSJeeper

Comment

• tuck
      350 Buick
      • Apr 29, 2001

I believe they will... the magic number is 63"... I'm not sure how people are getting that measurement... I'm pretty sure the truck springs will work... no idea on eye to eye without weight, sorry
      1972 Wagoneer 360/th400/dana20/10b/14b/35\'s... welded diffs, full hydro and so on..

Comment

• blt2krl
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Apr 03, 2001

You can use any half ton rear leaf pack from 88 to 98.5. This includes the 2wd versions as well. I can't give you the measurement cause mine are under the rig. You will also have to use the chevy shackle besause the jeep one is not long enough to bolt to the spring without hitting the spring.

[ July 17, 2003, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: blt2krl ]
        Paul Hartman
        79 waggoneer
        AMC360/TH-400/203/205
        DANA 60/14 BOLT 5.13'S AND DETROITS
        39.5 IROKS C.B.I OFF ROAD TUBING GALORE
        www.cbioffroadfab.com
        WWW.PLANET4X4.NET

Comment

These are 96 3/4T Burb springs laid out W/O overloads next to OEM FSJ springs... they are 2-3" longer and the spring pin is centered on the Burb springs.

With the springpin being centered... it relocates the axle 4.5" to the rear...

Sorry I don't have the EXACT measurements... but this should give you an idea

important note

Since the burp springpin is centered... the pinion angle is angle more downward.... make sure you check your angles as I needed to reangle the perch another 4.5 degrees after swapping the springs

[ July 17, 2003, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: River Beast ]
          Todd
          www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• blt2krl
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Apr 03, 2001

On my half to springs, I didn't haver to change the perch angle at all. It was right on. Your 3/4 ton springs look to have more arch than my 1/2 tons, but that would make sense to me..
            Paul Hartman
            79 waggoneer
            AMC360/TH-400/203/205
            www.cbioffroadfab.com
            WWW.PLANET4X4.NET

Comment

• rockjeep44
              The Advisor
              • Oct 15, 2001

Thanks guys. I just got back from the junkyard, I got a pair of 1500 Chevy Pickup springs, not sure what year but they are in awesome shape, complete with shackles. They have a centered pin and measure 62.5in eye to eye. They have 3 main leaves and an overload. Not sure if I'm gonna leave that in or not. Any reason why these wouldn't work?
              -Andrew
              Buggy Buildup

Comment

• tomd
                304 AMC
                • May 04, 2002

All i know, is the 92 GMC 2wd 1500 ones i have, have one less leaf than blt2krl's, just the overload IIRC...
                71 J-4000 on a 76 Cherokee chassis with homemade flatbed
                360/Th400/PT QT/3.07 D44s

Comment

I removed the overload and still sit about 2.5" higher in the rear.... waiting on 2.5" AAL's for the front....

I could just remove another leaf from the burb packs, but I don't want to chance overstressing the springs on flex...as they flex GREAT right now.
                  Todd
                  www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

RB, have you actually installed the springs yet? did you run into any problems with your kit?
                    Places to Wheel in the Southeast

Originally posted by Topgun2mo
                    I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
                    Originally posted by johnny019
                    I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.

Comment

Yeah.... springs are installed.... the only thing you need to do with my kit is swap (left to right) the rear inverted mounts to get the mounts into postion for the longer springs.... worked pretty easily....

Like this...

[ July 20, 2003, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: River Beast ]
                      Todd
                      www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Zorm
                        304 AMC
                        • Apr 08, 1997

Ok all this sounds kinda cool, but why are you all doing this. Have I missed something?
                        83 Cherokee 4dr WT(axles) 4" lift, 351w, nv3550, NP208, installing soon

65 Corvair Corsa Convertible, 4 speed, 140 quad carb engine

71 F-250 Camper Special (in rewire stage)

HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life.

Comment

• blt2krl
                          AMC 4 OH! 1
                          • Apr 03, 2001

I'm doing it for one reason alone. I want to fit a 14 bolt underneath my rig. The gas tank will cause some interference if the axle resides in the stock location. So the burb springs will locate the axle 3-3.5in to the rear and allow the 14 bolt to fit in. The other reason is to extend the wheelbase a bit.
                          Paul Hartman
                          79 waggoneer
                          AMC360/TH-400/203/205
                          www.cbioffroadfab.com
                          WWW.PLANET4X4.NET

Comment

I did it for one reason.... adding rear flares BEHIND the doors....
                            Todd
                            www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• KYJ10
                              360 AMC
                              • May 05, 2002

Just a side note here. The 14ff works without any tank interference on the J10. Dennis
                              Starting to miss the addiction!

Comment

Working...
                              X