• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1x1_Speed_Craig
    327 Rambler
    • Apr 26, 2004

Oil suggestions (viscosity)?

I always run Valvoline oil in my vehicles, as I talked to an ex-military guy a decade ago who was involved in viscosity tests for military vehicles. He felt that Valvoline (at the time) was the best stuff out there. I currently run 10W-30 Max-Life (for older motors) in my '82 Scrambler.

My question is in regard to what I should run in my '76 Cherokee Chief. It has a 360 that runs pretty hot (similar to everyone else's FSJ ). It has 110K miles on it. Approaching the first oil change since I bought it, I'm wondering what grade motor oil I should run given the high temps. I'm looking for oil that might not break down as quickly in high heat, but I'm no expert on this topic. I'm sure someone here has some input, though.

Thanks!
    Craig

• jeepsr4ever
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Dec 28, 2002

Craig

What your looking for is a heavy duty type multiple viscosity oil with a higher viscosity than 30. Here is a link.

This oil has the same additives as the higher mileage engine oil but goes a step further and is safe for rebuilt engines. Running a 10w30 in the summer will lead to low oil pressure when warmed up and possibly bearing damage. You should be running a 15w40 reguardless of who you buy it from. Valvoline is a popular product because it moves well on the store shelf but it is still a passenger car motor oil and a light duty oil with a small TBN number (total base number) You wouldnt run valvoline 10w30 in your diesel and the same should go for your AMC V8 where the torqure loads are almost the same as a diesel.

That help?

-MC
    AMC/Jeep Forum
    Custom machined AMC/4X4/Race Parts...www.Bulltear.com
    ///
    "We offer performance, reliability and customization for your AMC V8"

Comment

• 1x1_Speed_Craig
      327 Rambler
      • Apr 26, 2004

Excellent info, MC. Good to see that there will be a Winter blend too, as I plan to drive it as a Winter vehicle (blasphemy maybe, but necessary for now). Are plans still for introduction in July? I assume that you're involved with, or are affiliated with this product?

Should I consider something other than 10W-30 in my 258 (in the Scrambler), as well?

Again, let me know about the availability of this new oil.

Thanks,
      Craig

Comment

• jeepsr4ever
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Dec 28, 2002

Craig

You should not run 10w30 in a 258 either. By viscosity rules alone look for a heavy duty oil. I actually came up with the idea for the oil after I had designed a high flow oil system for AMC V8's and achieved a long lasting oil pump cavity on the 8's. I am not the engineer that finished the blend, I dont know enough about lubrication technology to make my own oil...thats an exact science. The oil will be available at Bulltear and major FSJ vendors the first week of july. This is not a amsoil or a lucas their are no fluffing of the details or snake sales. This is not a repackaged blend either.

[ June 08, 2004, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: jeepsr4ever ]
        AMC/Jeep Forum
        Custom machined AMC/4X4/Race Parts...www.Bulltear.com
        ///
        "We offer performance, reliability and customization for your AMC V8"

Comment

Working...
        X