• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jMedia
    350 Buick
    • May 27, 2009

I need to gut my 88 GW...

I am moving to Maui in July and I have a 20' shipping container from my company to fill with whatever I want...

So my project Jeep is coming with me! I have never had a living situation that really allowed me to work on it so I'm looking to change that on Maui. Here's the catch: I need to pull the drivetrain before the move.

I have planned on gutting the drivetrain and swapping in a newer (preferably diesel) one for years but never had the living situation that would allow for such a project. Basically, if I try to ship the Jeep as is I would be charged another $1100 for shipping a vehicle to Maui, but if I remove the drivetrain, it won't count as a vehicle and won't cost any extra. Since I want to change the engine anyways why not pull it now!

My question is, where should I start? The vehicle is currently complete and the engine ran but barely; it's been sitting a while and I imagine it would not start up right now. Is there a thread anywhere with a guide to pulling the drivetrain?

Also, anybody in the bay area want a free 88 GW drivetrain? If you help me pull it you can have it
    Joshua
    1988 Grand Wagoneer "Elwood"(thanks krek)
    Constantly changing, never done
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

I don't get the "w/no drive train it doesn't count as a vehicle" thing. Unless that's a Maui restriction thing? If your co. is paying for the move a w/20' container, ask them how much more to rent a 40 footer and make up the cost difference. Once you get a GW into a 20' box, ain't gonna be a lot of room left for a full house load of furnishings. CA to HI I would think your stuff will go via tugboat and flat deck barge. I would talk to the tow company and check into that running or not running thing making a difference? Don't sound right? I've hauled and towed containers to Africa and for what you're describing that container would be listed on the manifest as personal and household goods with no mention of running or not.
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• letank
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Jun 03, 2002

interesting.... what are the smog rules for the islands?

Pulling drivetrain is not too bad... disconnect all wiring, remove hood, disconnect axles, support engine and trany, attach to cherry picker... disconnect engine mount, trany mount... and other missing components, cooling lines, transmission cooling lines, trany shifter... and a few that I am missing...

DO you have a replacement diesel engine....

But honestly for the $1100, try to fix the current engine... even if gas is overpriced in HI, the distances are not that bad...

Are you still in WC...

Ironically my 74 is in Concord...
      Michel
      74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
      85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• jMedia
        350 Buick
        • May 27, 2009

Originally posted by joe
        I don't get the "w/no drive train it doesn't count as a vehicle" thing. Unless that's a Maui restriction thing? If your co. is paying for the move a w/20' container, ask them how much more to rent a 40 footer and make up the cost difference. Once you get a GW into a 20' box, ain't gonna be a lot of room left for a full house load of furnishings. CA to HI I would think your stuff will go via tugboat and flat deck barge. I would talk to the tow company and check into that running or not running thing making a difference? Don't sound right? I've hauled and towed containers to Africa and for what you're describing that container would be listed on the manifest as personal and household goods with no mention of running or not.
        I talked to Matson, the shipping company I will be using, and they told me that if I put a vehicle in the shipping container it would be an extra $1100 on top of the original quote.

I am going to talk to my company about upgrading to a 40' container, thanks for the reminder. I do not have much for personal goods but it wouldn't fit in a 20' container.

Why contact a tow company? Thanks for all the tips.
        Joshua

Comment

• jMedia
          350 Buick
          • May 27, 2009

Originally posted by letank
          interesting.... what are the smog rules for the islands?

Pulling drivetrain is not too bad... disconnect all wiring, remove hood, disconnect axles, support engine and trany, attach to cherry picker... disconnect engine mount, trany mount... and other missing components, cooling lines, transmission cooling lines, trany shifter... and a few that I am missing...

DO you have a replacement diesel engine....

But honestly for the $1100, try to fix the current engine... even if gas is overpriced in HI, the distances are not that bad...

Are you still in WC...

Ironically my 74 is in Concord...
          I do not have a replacement engine yet. I don't want the current drivetrain, that's why I am pulling it; I'd rather put $1100 towards a new drivetrain.

And yes, the Jeep is still in Walnut Creek.
          Joshua

Comment

• joe
            • Apr 28, 2000

Matson huh? I'm guessing via Matson it's going by container ship rather than a barge. Ships have different USCG load restrictions and different business plans as in single containers are more expensive per unit than multiple containers on the same contract. Is you company locked into Matson? If not, do some pricing homework on tug and barge companies. Sause Brothers Towing handles most of the HI inter island towing. It's an OR based company but has regular scheduled runs between CA-HI. I think in/out of Long Beach? Point being a high volume container ship company requires a high tech(expensive) container ship dock facility. Heck I can't even imagine Maui has a container ship dock and would suspect the container would be unloaded on the main island and transferred to Maui via a local tow company. If your company is locked into Matson and you have to pay part of the tab, well ya gotta go by their rules. If not shop around.
            On another thought nothing except maybe pineapples or sugar beets is cheap in HI. Everything gets there by sea or air so expect used cars/trucks/motors/parts if even avail to be precious. Economically you might be better off springing for a 40 footer and stuffing it with whatever eng and running gear you hope to find in HI. Screw shipping your bulky used couch and furniture they sell that stuff used everywhere. Do your homework.
            joe

Comment

• letank
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Jun 03, 2002

or buy one there, could not resist....

Michel
              74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
              85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• Mr Carts
                258 I6
                • Aug 22, 2011

I use Pasha to ship vehicles to the Islands.

Pasha Hawaii will ship your car, truck, SUV or minivan safely & securely between the mainland US and Hawaiian islands. Contact us at 1-866-363-7485.
                1980 Cherokee WT 360 TFI Contour Fan 727 208
                3.31 285/75X16 Duratrac's E rated

Comment

• jMedia
                  350 Buick
                  • May 27, 2009

The engine and trans are almost full detached from the frame and body and ready to pull. Questions:
                  1. Should I keep the NP208 and try to adapt the future drivetrain to it?
                  2. If I should keep the NP208, can it be detached from the trans while still in the Jeep?
                  3. This is the main question: Where and how should I attach chains to the block? Could I use Heavy Duty tow straps instead?
                  Joshua

Comment

• joe
                    • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by jMedia
                    The engine and trans are almost full detached from the frame and body and ready to pull. Questions:
                    1. Should I keep the NP208 and try to adapt the future drivetrain to it?
                    2. If I should keep the NP208, can it be detached from the trans while still in the Jeep?
                    3. This is the main question: Where and how should I attach chains to the block? Could I use Heavy Duty tow straps instead?
                    "Almost detached"??? If it's still in the car just tighten up the motor and trans mounts. If it's out of the car chain it to a pallet. Shim up with wood any areas where the chain could tear up a machined surface. If you don't want to use chains and binders use motorcycle ratchet tie downs(shim sharp edges to protect the straps. I wouldn't use nylon tow straps. Too much stretch before getting them tight. "Tight" is the key word. For heavy cargo on rolling ocean trip chains and binders are best.
                    I'd keep the 208. If you don't use it and it's in good condition it's easy to sell even in HI.
                    joe

Comment

• jMedia
                      350 Buick
                      • May 27, 2009

Originally posted by joe
                      "Almost detached"??? If it's still in the car just tighten up the motor and trans mounts. If it's out of the car chain it to a pallet. Shim up with wood any areas where the chain could tear up a machined surface. If you don't want to use chains and binders use motorcycle ratchet tie downs(shim sharp edges to protect the straps. I wouldn't use nylon tow straps. Too much stretch before getting them tight. "Tight" is the key word. For heavy cargo on rolling ocean trip chains and binders are best.
                      I'd keep the 208. If you don't use it and it's in good condition it's easy to sell even in HI.
                      I said almost detached because I am pulling the engine. I have detached pretty much everything but the engine and trans mounts. I am junking the engine and trans so I just need them out of the Jeep. My question was about how attachment points on the engine to pull it with a chain and hoist or to use tow straps to lift it out.
                      Joshua

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

How are you going to unload the vehicle without a drive train? It isn't worth the $1100 savings once you consider the hassels it will impose. Not to mention--your project may never get past the Dream Phase and now you have to sell the shell for scrap metal because you only have half of the vehicle. IMO, dont break it apart.

Comment

• babywag
                          out of order
                          • Jun 08, 2005

I'd also leave it intact until you get there. Sell the engine etc. in HI.
                          Parts are not nearly as readily available there, I bet you would find someone willing to buy the engine/parts.
                          Tony
                          88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• jMedia
                            350 Buick
                            • May 27, 2009

Thank you for your personal opinions.
                            Joshua

Comment

• jMedia
                              350 Buick
                              • May 27, 2009

Originally posted by rocklaurence
                              How are you going to unload the vehicle without a drive train? It isn't worth the $1100 savings once you consider the hassels it will impose. Not to mention--your project may never get past the Dream Phase and now you have to sell the shell for scrap metal because you only have half of the vehicle. IMO, dont break it apart.
                              It hasn't run in a long time, so I would have to tow it around anyways. I work for a construction company so I have trucks at my disposal to tow it.

I'd rather plan for my project to succeed.
                              Joshua

Comment

Working...
                              X