• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KaiserMan
    I got the Willys....
    • Jun 21, 2005

Originally posted by jpcoutts
    Interesting difference in the front drum/hub setup. I think and hope that the same drum will fit mine (11/2005 photo) as fits on the SRW trucks of the same year. At least they look similar. How the drums are mounted on the front of mine is not clear from looking at the truck or looking at any of the manuals and diagrams I've seen.
    Part numbers ring up differently for early dually drums and all other 12x2 drums. Doesn't mean they can't be made to fit. I have Camper Truck rear drums on the front of my Camper Truck. Only difference was a minor lip around the center hole I ground off.

The Jeep PN you need is: 939 805

I think! My parts book has three listing for dually drums. One for 230 rigs, one for 2WD 232/327/350 rigs and one for 4WD 232/327/350 rigs.
    Thomas Russell
    1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
    1971 Gladiator
    J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
    1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

• jpcoutts
      304 AMC
      • Jun 28, 2002

So would my '67 be early or late? They are obviously different from yours so I guess early. I believe the '67 is the same as the '63 (obviously early) so I guess I answered my own question!
      Jim C
      '67 J3000 Dually
      '86 J20
      '79 CJ5(in pieces)
      '86 CJ7 Doesn't need anything(so why do I have it?)
      Correction- it just needed a water pump!

Comment

• KaiserMan
        I got the Willys....
        • Jun 21, 2005

Brakes are all done. Have to redo them though! These are re-lined shoes, and the linings are too thick. Can't get the drums on. AZ should have a new set in for me today. Also got the new master cylinder in, along with all new brake lines to the junction block, and to the left and right front brakes.

Drums looks real nice.
        Thomas Russell
        1971 Gladiator

Comment

• KaiserMan
          I got the Willys....
          • Jun 21, 2005

I'll have to get some pics up at some point. I've made a bit of progress.

-Made a new front ebrake cable. Used one from a 1994 C3500 HD.
          -Blasted, painted, rebuilt and installed the parking brake drum assembly. Got new shoes and springs from Herms.
          -New rear output seal for the D20.
          -New fuel lines, feed and return all the way to the tank.
          -Had a pair of correct for '68 exhaust manifolds surfaced. They are painted and installed. Also fitted up a home made Y-pipe and a near new Ford muffler from an F350 351/2bbl I had kicking around. Nice and quiet now.
          -Re-did the front shoes, again. Finally found a pair that fits correctly.
          -Blasted, painted and installed a pair of correct for '68 valve covers and the correct hot air tube to feed my 2bbl air cleaner.
          -New tranny mount.
          -Replaced the grille with a much nicer one.
          -Replaced the carrier bearing for the rear drive shaft.
          -Installed the rear shocks.

Tomorrow I'm off to hook up the parking brake, replace the transfer case torque stud bushings and a couple of little things. I need to move it to get my 71 out of storage.
          Thomas Russell
          1971 Gladiator

Comment

• 44BZ
            304 AMC
            • Dec 10, 2009

Originally posted by KaiserMan
            I'll have to get some pics up at some point. I've made a bit of progress.

-Made a new front ebrake cable. Used one from a 1994 C3500 HD.
            -Blasted, painted, rebuilt and installed the parking brake drum assembly. Got new shoes and springs from Herms.
            -New rear output seal for the D20.
            -New fuel lines, feed and return all the way to the tank.
            -Had a pair of correct for '68 exhaust manifolds surfaced. They are painted and installed. Also fitted up a home made Y-pipe and a near new Ford muffler from an F350 351/2bbl I had kicking around. Nice and quiet now.
            -Re-did the front shoes, again. Finally found a pair that fits correctly.
            -Blasted, painted and installed a pair of correct for '68 valve covers and the correct hot air tube to feed my 2bbl air cleaner.
            -New tranny mount.
            -Replaced the grille with a much nicer one.
            -Replaced the carrier bearing for the rear drive shaft.
            -Installed the rear shocks.

Tomorrow I'm off to hook up the parking brake, replace the transfer case torque stud bushings and a couple of little things. I need to move it to get my 71 out of storage.
            Sounds like you've been workin hard. I'm interested in the cable setup you used for the trans brake. I have a complete drum on the back of my D20, but no cable or activating lever for it.
            Zack - 68 J2000, AMC 327, 4bbl intake, dual exhaust, Pertronix upgrade, Holley 600cfm, T18, dana 20 (twin sticked), 3" body lift w/ 35x12.50 MTRs ~ running AND driving!

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
              Cherokee Outlaw
              • Jan 10, 2006

Originally posted by 44BZ
              Sounds like you've been workin hard. I'm interested in the cable setup you used for the trans brake. I have a complete drum on the back of my D20, but no cable or activating lever for it.
              I have this cable if you need any pics or measurements from it.
              -Jonny B.
              1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
              7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
              AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
              NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
              F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
              R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
              1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
              1979 Wagoneer - Sold
              1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• KaiserMan
                I got the Willys....
                • Jun 21, 2005

Sent you a PM Zack.

-Got my y pipe adjusted. No more leaks. Exhaust is almost too quiet.
                -Made a new rear brake line and installed a new rear hose. Just need to do the rear brakes and the lines across the axle now.
                -Replaced my bent nail ignition switch with another one that I had re-keyed to take a very clean original Kaiser Jeep key I had kicking around.
                -Installed a used pair of dual note horns from a late 68 J3000 and an NOS horn relay. Low note horn is bad and the relay is stuck. Great success!
                -Hooked up the parking brake. Needs to wear in, but it holds well enough to pass inspection.

Another reason for me to believe this used to have a camper body on it. When I removed the old rear brake line I found a T-fitting plumbed into it just behind the cab with a hydraulic brake light switch in it. No reason for it to be there for the truck, so I'm assuming it was for the camper brake lamps.
                Thomas Russell
                1971 Gladiator

Comment

• KaiserMan
                  I got the Willys....
                  • Jun 21, 2005

Some pics.

-Exhaust is finished. Hung in all factory locations and dumps out in front of the RR tire.

-Went through the rear springs. Removed two add-a-leafs from each pack, needle scaled all the rust and crud from in between the leafs, coated them mating surfaces with dry film lube and reassembled with new u-bolts and center pins. Still need to cut the pins down. Also all new grease fittings. You can see how well they came out in the before and after pics.

-Installed a pair of WORKING Jeep dual note horns and a new Napa relay. Nice loud horns now.

-Rear drums are all part. Drums will get dropped off to be turned tomorrow, and the backing plates are out to be blasted. One will need a lot of love to get it usable.

-Replaced all the zinc coated hardware that came with my mirrors with all stainless. To the tune of $54!

-Rebuilt the washer pump. Squirters work well now.

You can see the repop vent hose from the valve cover. It's for a 4bbl, hoping I can make it work on my 2bbl air cleaner when I get that swapped on.

Terrible pic of the rebuilt transmission brake.

Blasted and painted 68/9 correct 2bbl pre-heater tube.

"New" grille. I cleaned the right half. Left half will get done this weekend.

Someone reused the original bolts. Probably the company that converted it to a camper.

Nasty gaps in the leafs and the rebound clips can't be tightened.

Nasty in general.

Much better.

No gaps. I still need to install the spacers for the bolts for the rebound clips. I had some cut from stainless tubing.

Stock size tiny 1/2" u-bolts.

Beefy Dana 70 Power-Loc with 4.88's. And what looks like original fluid.

How's that for an early Buick rig? The front ring gear is dated from January of 1968. I know they probably sat on a shelf for a bit, but it's still a very early Buick powered truck.
                  Thomas Russell
                  1971 Gladiator

Comment

• 44BZ
                    304 AMC
                    • Dec 10, 2009

Nice work! It looks great in that first posed photo. Gonna be fun to drive that one around town
                    Zack - 68 J2000, AMC 327, 4bbl intake, dual exhaust, Pertronix upgrade, Holley 600cfm, T18, dana 20 (twin sticked), 3" body lift w/ 35x12.50 MTRs ~ running AND driving!

Comment

• KaiserMan
                      I got the Willys....
                      • Jun 21, 2005

She's going to look real nice once I get that crappy home made bed off and the Reading bed properly mounted.
                      Thomas Russell
                      1971 Gladiator

Comment

• mud89
                        304 AMC
                        • Nov 18, 2009

Originally posted by KaiserMan
                        Some pics.

Beefy Dana 70 Power-Loc with 4.88's. And what looks like original fluid.

How's that for an early Buick rig? The front ring gear is dated from January of 1968. I know they probably sat on a shelf for a bit, but it's still a very early Buick powered truck.
                        Thanks for sharing these infos, it's consistent : my understanding is that the first Buick rigs were built in December 67 or January 68. It's an awesome restoration. BTW keep the original bucket seats.
                        J10 sportside '81, J10 Golden Eagle '77, Wagoneer '65, Gladiator '64 + parts rigs

Comment

• KaiserMan
                          I got the Willys....
                          • Jun 21, 2005

Originally posted by mud89
                          Thanks for sharing these infos, it's consistent : my understanding is that the first Buick rigs were built in December 67 or January 68. It's an awesome restoration. BTW keep the original bucket seats.
                          Definitelygoing to keep the buckets. I'm probably going to take the drivers out to a shop and see if I can get the seam fixed.

One day I'll have enough money to do the body, which is really going to just involve replacing the cab on it. It's a lot worse that it looks.

I just had new outer nuts made for the Lock-O-Matics. One was bad. Cost me $150 to have four made Plus $100 to buy the 12" piece of 4130 I needed to have them machined from
                          Thomas Russell
                          1971 Gladiator

Comment

• 66Stepside
                            350 Buick
                            • Dec 23, 2010

She is drop dead sexy.
                            52 M38
                            54 Willys Truck
                            56 Willys Wagon
                            60 FC170
                            66 J3000
                            68 M715
                            70 1414C
                            71 J2000 Quadcab

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                              Administrator
                              • Oct 31, 2016

This is such a fantastic rig. I have total Jeep envy for it. Unbelievable what you did with those rear springs. Wow!
                              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                              (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                              (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                              79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                              (Cherokee Build Thread)
                              11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                              09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• KaiserMan
                                I got the Willys....
                                • Jun 21, 2005

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                                Unbelievable what you did with those rear springs. Wow!
                                I was very happy with how they cleaned up. I need to do the same with the fronts eventually. I'll be keeping some of the add a leafs in there though, they front springs on these Jeeps don't have much arch to begin with and it doesn't take much for them to sag.

I just ordered a new poly tank, sending unit and straps from BJ's for it. Should be my last major expense before it's road legal. Pretty much everything left is going to just cost me time.
                                Thomas Russell
                                1971 Gladiator

Comment

Working...
                                X