• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • banjoguy
    258 I6
    • Apr 12, 2010

Gauge cluster comes and goes?

Got a 87 GW and been driving round the last couple months with no problems. But now, my gauge cluster doesn't work half the time. One minute everythings fine, the next I loose fuel, oil, temp, volt, and the dash clock. All lights, turn signals, and everything else works just fine. The horn comes and goes, but it's always done that.
    Any thoughts?

Sean Kelly
    Sean Kelly
    1987 Grand Wagoneer
  • Rich88
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Nov 20, 2008

The gage cluster has one ground wire to it, which if it has an intermittent connection, would effect everything as you describe. Check the schematics for your '87 to trace it down.

Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
    88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
    "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."

Comment

• chrism
      327 Rambler
      • Apr 07, 2002

I had a problem with the wiring to the tailgate shorting out where it flexes causing weird issues with the dash lights and gauges. You might want to check there too.
      1979 Cherokee
      1979 CJ-7

Comment

• banjoguy
        258 I6
        • Apr 12, 2010

Originally posted by chrism
        I had a problem with the wiring to the tailgate shorting out where it flexes causing weird issues with the dash lights and gauges. You might want to check there too.
        That's interesting. Might be the issue since my tailgate window switch on the dash works half the time. I usually have to use the key switch outside to open it.

Still not able to find anything so far, it's quite the mystery. It's actually caused me now to almost loose my job too. Thought I had more gas than I actually did since all the gauges were out. Ran out 3 miles from the nearest gas station. Had to buy a $10 one gallon gas can and when I got back to my waggy, I found that one gallon wasn't enough, so I had to walk back to the gas station to get more! Made me 3 hours late to work!!!
        Sean Kelly
        1987 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• Brizio
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Apr 11, 2008

I will check before all the connection behind it.
          brizios.com
          Small Scale Jeeps
          Brizios

Comment

• smogdredd
            258 I6
            • Jul 19, 2010

If the ground is bad weird things will happen when the turn indicator is on since it uses the same ground. Ignition power comes in at one point only, the drag is that acessing the panel disturbs all the connections causing it to work properly or not at all. As soon as possible I'm relacing the whole dash with individual guages to get around that problem. I've been fighting it for a year.
            '63 wagoneer '87 360 running gear except T case (207), warn hubs, 3.56 diffs and EFI Holley pro-jection using ford cfi throttle body Stock dist. with four wire HEI module.

'67 Scout 152cid w/EFI and turbo also My own a little help from Chrysler. I am a fabricator, I make stuff up!

facebookGGAutoCare

Comment

Working...
            X