• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miracleed
    232 I6
    • Feb 19, 2019

Hello Again!

I bought my first Wagoneer back in 1999 or 2000. It was the forest green '91 Grand and boy do I wish I still had it. It died a warrior's death in Colorado. If I had known then that I could have paid my mortgage off with what it would be worth today I might have figured out a way to repair it. Ah well. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who laments what has slipped through their fingers over the years.

I found this site back then and was super impressed with both the amount of knowledge freely shared and that there were other people out there who were as inexplicably in love with these mighty beasts as I was. I've often told people that if I ever hit the lottery my first call would be to one of those ground up super restoration shops for a low mileage late model GW. I have not as yet won the lottery, even though recently I've felt as if I might have in a little way.

I found a '79 Wagoneer Limited that was in my price range, something I didn't think possible seeing some of the prices people are paying for these things now. I had super high hopes of modding it out to be the coolest daily driver ever. When I tallied my spreadsheet though my wish list topped $12K in parts. Even though that still keeps my project under what I think it would be worth it did dampen my plans a little.

The new plan is to get the stock set up dependably road worthy without super modifications, get the exterior as pretty as I can on a budget and keep hoping about that lottery ticket that I don't buy. I figure I can live vicariously through the build threads posted by folks like Kaiserjeeps, Mr. Ziebert, and Rang-A-Stang to name a few.

I learned what I know about cars working on that '91 back in the day and relying heavily on what I could read here. I was very pleased to find this bulletin board again. Anyway, that's me.

Thanks,
    Ed

79wagoneer by miracleed, on Flickr
    Last edited by miracleed; 03-06-2019, 04:24 PM.
    '79 Wagoneer Limited
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

Welcome to the group, Ed! We are glad you are here! What an awesome project to start with. It's gonna be a blast!

Sweet rig! Good plan! Does it have a sunroof? There was a member in Mass selling one like that about a year ago... don't remember who, though.

I will tell you, the closer you track your spending the more you will be discouraged. I would drop that idea and just fix things as they come. Keep it on the road as much as possible and enjoy it!
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• fsj454
      Long time member
      • Jan 02, 2015

Hunter Green

There is a Hunter Green 1991 GW in Middleboro Auto Salvage . Massachusetts . Looks like sat under pine trees for a long time maybe 10 years . They did not make many 1991 GW in Hunter Green. Hope I hit the lottery so I can buy it. Welcome Back.......
      1982 cherokee nt. 454. nv4500 .205. dana 60 f+r. twin stick.hydroboost.hydrolic clutch.rock ram.traction bar.warn 12000 winch.4 wheel disc.flip kit.soa.high steer.cross over steer.4.56 detroit locker.35 spline rear alloy axles. 37s .1990 grand wagoneer aka trusty rusty

Comment

• miracleed
        232 I6
        • Feb 19, 2019

Ha! If it is all scraped up on the passenger's side that's from a barbwire fence in Colorado. Other than the cosmetic stuff I think the sway bar in the front is gone, or at least some part of the stabilization system up front would need replacing. If it's mine I would recommend buying it for a reasonable price. It was a nice machine and I took pretty good care of it. It would make me feel strangely good if it was still out there somewhere and someone on these boards was loving it.

Oh yeah, I bypassed the instrument lights' power supply and ran them off of a lantern battery in the glove box... that would be another tell.
        '79 Wagoneer Limited

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
          360 AMC
          • Oct 02, 2002

Hey welcome Ed! That's a nice looking wagoneer there. Good base stock for your ideas. Just do them as they come up and just appreciate it and what it does for you. I too keep my receipts but try not to look at them.

Great chatting with you. And welcome indeed

Al
          Melford1972 says...
          I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
          -----------------------
          I make wag parts
          1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
          1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
          1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
          1968 M715 restomod
          2001 Dodge 3500
          2002 Toyota Tundra
          2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
          Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021
          Keep a small violin, There is always a worse story than your own

Comment

• backroadin'
            350 Buick
            • Aug 11, 2004

Nice wood! Looks pretty good for a N.E. rig!!!
            Welcome back from just up the river!
            1973 Wagoneer, 4.6L Jeep inline 6 stroker, t176/d300, offy dualport w/ quadrajet, pertronix, flowmaster

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads." -- Doc Brown

"When this baby reaches 88 miles per hour, you're gonna to see some serious sht!"

Comment

• miracleed
              232 I6
              • Feb 19, 2019

Thanks Backroadin'! I'm still happy with what I bought however, as you mention the wood, I think the person I bought it from got it somewhere for a song, did some 'good enough for ebay' cosmetic upgrades, and sold it to me. It runs strong and has a lot of positives but at the end of the day I'd have preferred to be the one who got it for a song. The wood grain turns out to be new decals that the PO just slapped over the existing 41 year old stickers that were on there. To me, NBD, as I planned to replace them anyway when/if I get a paint job done. But if it were someone who was looking to buy and not resto I could see how they would be disappointed.
              '79 Wagoneer Limited

Comment

Working...
              X