• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cheepy77to79
    230 Tornado
    • Dec 15, 2018

79 Cherokee Golden Eagle

After searching for several years for the perfect 1977 Cherokee chief I couldn't pass on the 79 Cherokee golden eagle when I found so close to home.

Growing up, my grandfather had a 77 chief. As a kid I loved this truck. Every year he would take me hunting in it and I would play on the CB radio on the way to the camp. My grandfathers handle on the radio was "chiefy", also his name for the jeep. However, as a kid and unable to pronounce "chiefy", I called it "cheepy".

Years later when my brothers and I became teenagers, my grandfather gave us cheepy to share. Not too soon after, my younger brother was reving the engine in the driveway while the carb was exposed and it caught fire. My older brother subsequently sold it for parts. Ever since I've dreamed of having my own 77 Cherokee Chief.

Realizing over the last few years that my grandfather is getting older and that he may not " live to be a hundred and shot by a jealous husband", as he would have it; I increased my search. Well, with my heart set on finding a red 77 Cherokee chief similar to "cheepy", I came across a 79 Cherokee. When I ran the VIN and realized it was a golden eagle I couldn't pass it up.

My plan is to do a full frame off restoration. I hope that many will follow my build and provide much needed advice to fully restore my new Cherokee.
    Last edited by Cheepy77to79; 12-19-2018, 05:08 PM.
    Luke

1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle (Bessie)
    Currently being restored.

Prior owner 77 Cherokee Chief (Cheepy)
    Forever gone.

Bossier City, LA
  • Full Size Jeeper
    304 AMC
    • Jul 20, 2014

Hello from Mandeville Louisiana!!!! Glad you were able to find something to work with even if it is not a 77. Looking forward to seeing some pics of the progress.
    1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
    Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• Cheepy77to79
      230 Tornado
      • Dec 15, 2018

I would like to post pictures, but I'm having trouble. I downloaded photobucket, but can't seem to find my pictures when I go to attach them from the site.
      Luke

1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle (Bessie)
      Currently being restored.

Prior owner 77 Cherokee Chief (Cheepy)
      Forever gone.

Bossier City, LA

Comment

Working...
      X