• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • surfwagoneer
    232 I6
    • Jun 23, 2012

F150 rear tank

So I'm back looking at some rear tank options (I know this topic has been exhausted and I have searched both hear and the mothership.) I really want to get rid of my coffin tank to free up room. I don't care for massive tank capacity at this time, to expensive to fill anyways. It looks like a 90's f150 is a great, and cheap, option http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-255012/overview/year/1993/make/ford/model/f-150 . Tucks in very tight and looks like its been done many times successfully. I'd also be open to the blazer swap but it sticks down a bit more than the f150. All the swaps I could find were done on EFI engines. I have a stock carburated 360. Anyone know what sending unit/fuel pump is compatible or any other info on this swap?
    89 GW- Rebuilt 360 w RV camshaft, 6 inch lift, de-smogged, 14 bolt, HD44, 35" tires
  • lastrealcherokee
    232 I6
    • Jun 27, 2014

Maybe look at an older carb model f150?? Just
    a thought.
    1983 Cherokee 6cyl auto 139k miles. Now 160k with HEI distributor. Daily driver.

1979 Harley Davidson Lowrider

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

If you're hoping to use your stock 89 gauge you'll need a sender that reads high resistance at full and low resistance at empty. Your 89 gauge/sender is set up for 88 ohms full, zero at empty. If the Ford tank has an EFI pump in the tank you'll need to install a pressure regulator. An EFI pump w/o a regulator will pump more fuel than your carb can handle.
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• surfwagoneer
        232 I6
        • Jun 23, 2012

Originally posted by joe
        If you're hoping to use your stock 89 gauge you'll need a sender that reads high resistance at full and low resistance at empty. Your 89 gauge/sender is set up for 88 ohms full, zero at empty. If the Ford tank has an EFI pump in the tank you'll need to install a pressure regulator. An EFI pump w/o a regulator will pump more fuel than your carb can handle.
        Great info Joe, thanks a ton
        89 GW- Rebuilt 360 w RV camshaft, 6 inch lift, de-smogged, 14 bolt, HD44, 35" tires

Comment

• j10jim
          327 Rambler
          • Jan 11, 2003

im putting a 31 gallon suburban tank in the rear of my j10. Choice of efi ro standard fuel pickup. going with the stock sender. I have speed hut gauges so I can set the fuel anyway I want to. Hopefully soon it will be painted and I will snap some pics of my tank.
          1980 J-10<br />Rusty\'s 4 inch lift<br />2 inch body lift,<br />35 in Xterrains on J20 axles<br />4:30 gears<br />Detroits<br />In-Cab cage thru the dash

Comment

• surfwagoneer
            232 I6
            • Jun 23, 2012

Originally posted by j10jim
            im putting a 31 gallon suburban tank in the rear of my j10. Choice of efi ro standard fuel pickup. going with the stock sender. I have speed hut gauges so I can set the fuel anyway I want to. Hopefully soon it will be painted and I will snap some pics of my tank.
            I will eventually being doing a diesel swap- 6bt- and be running a 30 gallon tank made for scouts. Its pretty pricy around $650-700 with sending unit included. Im still a few years out from my swap though. So in the mean time I'd like a cheap rear tank option. Capacity at this point isn't important since It would cost a ton to fill it anyways. My pipe dreams include a trail ready cherokee with 5.3/700r4 and a smaller tank would be just fine, so this tank could be swapped over later with a new sending unit. Long story short, just need a small rear tank with good clearance, at a good price and a sending unit compatible with my stock carb and gauges for now.
            Last edited by surfwagoneer; 09-06-2014, 08:56 PM.

Comment

• surfwagoneer
              232 I6
              • Jun 23, 2012

Info I pulled from a stock replacment sending unit from Oreillys http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...l+sending+unit
              Resistance When Empty (Ohm): 0 Ohm
              Resistance When Full (Ohm): 110 Ohm

Comment

• j10jim
                327 Rambler
                • Jan 11, 2003

surfwangoneer, I have less than $200 into the brand new tank, pickup unit and straps. I didn't want to spend a ton of money and this should work out pretty good.
                1980 J-10<br />Rusty\'s 4 inch lift<br />2 inch body lift,<br />35 in Xterrains on J20 axles<br />4:30 gears<br />Detroits<br />In-Cab cage thru the dash

Comment

• surfwagoneer
                  232 I6
                  • Jun 23, 2012

Originally posted by j10jim
                  surfwangoneer, I have less than $200 into the brand new tank, pickup unit and straps. I didn't want to spend a ton of money and this should work out pretty good.
                  I would love to be able to get this swap done at that price. And if I can find a good sending unit I should easily be able to stay with in $200. Now to just find a sending unit that works. Looks like the earlier ford sending units read ohms opposite to my waggy. 80-10 OHM

Comment

• surfwagoneer
                    232 I6
                    • Jun 23, 2012

bump

Comment

Working...
                    X