X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZackN920
    350 Buick
    • Nov 18, 2015

Holy crap, I forgot how many photo's this thread had!

It's still sitting where it should! After I fixed the frame (recently) I re-measured the height without air in the shocks and it is sitting exactly where it should be for a 2" lift. Still looking good (looking at the jeep). Don't worry bud, it'll last.

Ya know, I did the same as you are now. A lot of research and talking to other's here about their experiences... I remember talking to Babywag before I did this, as he has/had(?) AAL's on one of the Jeep's for 10+ years and I remember him telling me he didn't experience any sagging as well.

Only thing I have to complain about is that the AAL's and the spring clamp's did rust up. I cleaned them up (what I could get to without disassembly) when I had the wheels off this past month and sprayed with rust reformer. I should mention though, that I drive this jeep through anything and everything. I drove it through the winter last year and i'll be doing the same this year.

They are also still a little bouncy for rear seat passengers. While driving though, I have no issue. Really don't notice it.

If you do this, or in general refurbish your springs- remember to get new pads for the ends of the leaf's and new clips to hold the leaf's together. Im pretty sure I got them off of ebay.
    1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
    Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
    ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

• jake250k
      232 I6
      • Jan 27, 2015

Looks good. I did the rusty's full length AAL on the front of mine and the 2" block kit in the back (my rear springs looked 1000% better than yours though). I really liked the way it rode. I'm on a 4" BDS kit now and kinda wish I'd have left it alone.

I think AALs got a bad rap from the short ones that ride like sh**
      -Jake

1987 GW, 31s, stock.
      1978 CJ5, 35s, not so stock.

Comment

• bufurd
        327 Rambler
        • Apr 13, 2008

Looks good, and a good looking rig. Now that the springs are working right (cozy with each other the full length) something to help them slid against each other vastly improves ride quality. I spray the ones I put togather without full length Teflon liners with Fluid Film. Whenever I get into leaf springs anymore I line them, it makes a huge difference in ride quality. The Fluid Film works nearly as good but ya gotta do em a couple times a year.
        Current fleet
        Abner-73 He started it all in 1979 (plow truck now)
        Bufurd-69 Fixed up to take Abners place as DD
        Delta-70 Built for fun, 455 Olds, T-18, D-20, 4:10 gears
        Humpty-74 J-20 4BT, NV4500, 30+MPG
        07 JK Wife bought new...
        13 Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk, wifes new ride

Comment

• ZackN920
          350 Buick
          • Nov 18, 2015

Thanks guys. Body is a little worse for wear now though... All that paint on the lower half is cracked up...oh well. It will get re-done up again in the future.

Jake, I originally looked into doing blocks... Ha, found out it wouldn't work with my bad springs. They would have turned into an "S" shape in no time. Heck, they sometimes turn good springs into an S shape.
          I've always thought of the short AAL's as just a different version of blocks... a springy block! Not surprised to find they ride like crap. I was warned against them things and I'm glad I followed everybody's advise.

Hey Bufurd, good to see ya around. I have never heard of or even seen full length liners for leaf springs. I do have the little end pad's, and I thought that's all there were for leaf springs. So they help more with the ride huh? Too bad I didn't know about them, my front springs could sure use them. They are noisy, clanking around and such.
          Fluid film, I know of that stuff being used as a rust inhibitor but not much for a lubricant. I wonder about using something else, maybe silicone spray. Got a bunch of that in my stock.

Comment

• twmattox
            350 Buick
            • Feb 24, 2003

Would you mind doing me a small favor? Measure from the center of your wheel to the edge of your wheel well (front and rear). I can't seem to find any factory specs and am curious what yours is now so I can compare it to mine when I get it done this weekend.
            Thanks!
            '83 Scrambler (CJ-8) / 258 / T-5 / D-300 / DANA 30-AMC20 (3.31)
            '88 Grand Wagoneer (SJ) / 360 / TF727 / NP229 / DANA 44 (2.73)
            '05 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) / 4.0L / NSG 370 / NV231 / DANA 30-44 (3.73)
            '15 Wrangler Unlimited (JKU) / 3.6L / 42 RLE / NV 241 / DANA 30-44 (3.73)

Comment

• ZackN920
              350 Buick
              • Nov 18, 2015

Oh Jeeze, sorry for taking so long. You probably don't need this anymore but I finally can post it.

These measurements aren't exact. I didn't put anything on my center caps to mark their center. I just "eye-balled" it.

Here's the current result:

Driver Front : 19"
              Passenger Front : 18 - 13/16"
              Driver Rear : 16 - 15/16"
              Passenger Rear : 17 - 1/2"

I also did a re-measure from the cement floor to my wheel well openings. This is with Goodyear 235/75/R15 tires.

DF : 31 - 7/8"
              PF : 31 - 3/4"
              DR : 30 - 1/8"
              PR : 30 - 9/16"

As a side note, this Jeep does seem to be a little "off". See my "is my jeep tweeked?" thread .

Comment

• Kartboy
                230 Tornado
                • Dec 04, 2023

So to reserect this thread, I have a 1990 GW with saggy suspension. I have been looking at lift kits, stock springs and add a springs. I'm tempted to get add a springs because they are very cost effective and gives a 2" lift it seems. How has the spring kit held up?

Comment

• ZackN920
                  350 Buick
                  • Nov 18, 2015

It's holding up well. The jeep's been off the road for a year or two now, but not up on blocks. It still looks good height wise. The fronts are a lift spring set that I got used. Check to make sure none of your springs are broken. My front main leafs were both broken, one was broken where I couldn't see it until I took the spring pack apart.

The ride in the back of the jeep is bouncy, but not terrible.

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                    360 AMC
                    • Oct 02, 2002

Here is a suspension trick that has a huge payoff. Take your spring packs apart. Clean and scuff sand all area's of contact with a neighboring spring. Brush paint on slip plate #1 on both contact surfaces. Paint it on only in the contact areas, not the entire leaf as it wont take paint later. Let it dry and put the spring pack back together. The slip plate will burnish and polish with use to a very slippery dry lubricant. The ride quality will be astounding and much smoother after break in. I learned this from a friend and do it to every spring pack I ever work on. The last rig to get this was my M715 I am currently building. The rear springs are a rock solid ride. With this treatment it makes it smooth and ride like velvet. Use slip plate #1 and not slip plate #2. Give it a try. The change is amazing.
                    Melford1972 says...
                    I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
                    -----------------------
                    I make wag parts
                    1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                    1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
                    1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
                    1968 M715 restomod
                    2001 Dodge 3500
                    2002 Toyota Tundra
                    2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
                    Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Kartboy
                      230 Tornado
                      • Dec 04, 2023

Originally posted by ZackN920 View Post
                      It's holding up well. The jeep's been off the road for a year or two now, but not up on blocks. It still looks good height wise. The fronts are a lift spring set that I got used. Check to make sure none of your springs are broken. My front main leafs were both broken, one was broken where I couldn't see it until I took the spring pack apart.

The ride in the back of the jeep is bouncy, but not terrible.
                      Thanks for the update. Im looking at getting dorman stock springs just to get me to stock ride height and will see how that rides I think. Then may consider an add a spring or just new springs after that.

Comment

• melford1972
                        232 I6
                        • Jul 31, 2019

Originally posted by Kaiserjeeps View Post
                        Here is a suspension trick that has a huge payoff. . .
                        Aaaaand, my list of things to do just got longer… 😝

This is an awesome tip. Thanks for sharing.
                        1970 1414X Wagoneer
                        5.3L LMG with Texas Speed Stage II cam
                        4L60e, Dana 20
                        Dana 44 (1978 Cherokee front and 2005 Rubicon rear) with 3.73s

Comment

Working...
                        X