• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MiningMan
    230 Tornado
    • Apr 07, 2007

New owner, 73 Wagoneer

Hello,
    I am the new owner of a decent shape 73 wagoneer with an amc 360, th400 trans and a q-trac (Guy I got it from put in a mile marker 4x2 conversion)and dana narrow 44's with 3.07's

This is my first jeep project (first project ever)
    I would like to build it as a tough trail truck (no big rocks or heavy mud, but some deep water crossings and to crawl over trees the trail)

I like the Turbo 400 from past experience in gm trucks, but like the dependability of a manual and being able to have more control, I like the T-18 with the low gearing, (any sugestions on trans swaps, what bellhousing needed?)

I have a Dana 300 and will be beefing it up with bigger outputs and probly going to change the yokes to except larger U-joints

My head ach is what to do for axles, i like the heavy duty abilty of the dana 60's, or swaping for a centered dana 44? (would like the 8 lug bolt pattern)
    Right now the rear 44 has a small crack in the axle tube where it meets the pumpkin, so a swap if definate.

For lift, it currently has a 3" lift with springs in front and blocks in rear, my tire of choice will probly be a 35" or is clearence permits 37", I will be doing a spring over in front and shackle filp in rear, Any Sugestions? what springs can be used from other trucks?

when doing some measument on putting the d300 in the drive shaft would hit the fuel tank, RCI has a 17gal tank that will fit perfect where the spare tire was, it has only a 7" hight, and the filler neck will easily connect to the stock fill tube, (I will just have to take som 5 gal jerry cans with me)

Fabrication and mechanical for me is not a problem but my time home is (I travel alot)
    my plan is the get all the drive train parts rounded up the junp into it
    I figure a 5 year plan to get this wagoneer on the trails

Thanks for your sugestions as I am very new to off-roading for fun and building trucks as a hobby
  • bigblack'74
    304 AMC
    • Dec 05, 2000

if you search for everything you are interested in you will find all the answers.... all of those topics have been discussed many many times over the years on here
    Wagoneer-less

Comment

• 73waggy
      232 I6
      • Feb 16, 2007

The 73 is great. I have a 73 and love it. Welcome abord!!
      1973 Wagoneer ,31's, Carter offroad 650, Crane Cams Electronic Ignition conversion
      2002 TJ

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
        Cherokee Outlaw
        • Jan 10, 2006

Cmon! Whats with people and slacking with the pics lately?!
        -Jonny B.
        1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
        7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
        AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
        NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
        F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
        R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
        1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
        1979 Wagoneer - Sold
        1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• HeavyHauler
          327 Rambler
          • Jun 29, 2006

Welcome aboard! Good luck with your truck.

Comment

Working...
          X