• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • derf
    360 AMC
    • Jul 12, 2001

(TOM) Big lifts and Axles

Ok, so let's assume for the sake of argument that I was going to do a monster lift in order to get big tires on my wagon. I know from first hand experience that certain axles just aren't suited to running big tires. I know that I shouldn't put more than 35" tires on my little XJ with it's front D30. And a friend in my club has already snapped two front D60 stub shafts on his crazy modded Chevy Blazer with 38" tires. He's started the plans for Rockwell 2.5 ton axles and more lift so he can run 44's without breaking.

That's a bit much for me but I am wondering about what my SJ can handle, tire wise, with a front D44 and rear AMC20. I know the pressed in axle tubes can be a problem (usually solved by welding them or replacing the axle entirely) but what size tire can I put on and still expect to have a reasonable expectation of not breaking anything?

I've found a good price on a rear D70 that I might want to put in place of that AMC20. That would pretty much handle most any tire I would reasonably want to put on. But what about a front axle? Can the D44 handle 38" tires? Should I look at upgrading it if I go over a certain size?

[ November 05, 2001: Message edited by: Sitting Bull ]
    Try out my gear ratio calculator

My Jeeps: Truck Norris and Grimm Jeeper

Truck Norris doesn't need a brow. He has fists.

I run 39.5's on my dana 44's with 4.89's and lockers... I haven't broken anything yet.... I would have went 60's but at the time I couldn't find any and I didn't look hard enuf
    Todd
    www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

Working...
    X