X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PlasticBoob
    All Makes Combined
    • Jun 30, 2003

Welcome JBoy and Ghostmedic! Ghostmedic, love your avatar!
    Rob
    1974 Cherokee S, fuel injected 401, Trans-am Red, Aussie locker 'out back'
    Click for video

Comment

• jboymechanic
      232 I6
      • Mar 26, 2014

Still not home or running yet

The driveway it is sitting in is not mine, I will be heading over to prepare the engine to run next week. Once it's running I'll drive it onto the trailer and get it home. It hasn't run or moved in 15 years, but the pictures are from this year.

I've ordered a pertronix ignitor kit for the distributor to do away with the points and I have a new battery. I will be pulling the plugs and putting a small amount of oil in the cylinders and then I'll let it sit for a week or two and then I will come back and change the oil and coolant. I will then crank the engine over by hand with my 3/4" drive ratchet to prime the oiling circuits. After all that I'll actually fire it up with gas in a portable boat gas tank.

For those who asked, it is stick on the floor, but I don't even know if it is a 3 or 4 speed yet. I hope to go over the truck more closely next week and really get to know it.

Comment

• letank
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Jun 03, 2002

Welcome to the asylum, great purchase, and wise decision on the pertronix.

As for priming, turning the engine w a wrench is still going to damage the dry bearings.
        The ideal way is to prime the oil pump directly .... Not too sure about the tornado, but on the V8 360 you pull the distributor and slip a modified rod that one of our member is selling and rotate it for a minute or 2 to circulate the oil. For those of us who have a mechanical oil oressure gauge, the pressure is up to specs within 20 seconds, but you need to keep priming so the oil has circulated though the oil circuit.

I was doing my work on the engine for the swap, and hadnt thought about if I need to prime the oil pump. The oil pump has NOT been disassembled. However, the engine has had the oil drained, and the crank has been turned a bunch, between transportation and me just rotating it to check things. Not sure when it's required to

And the tool

Last edited by letank; 05-01-2014, 05:42 PM.
        Michel
        74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
        85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• threepiece
          350 Buick
          • Sep 17, 2005

Hello and welcome. Have you seen a blue J20 rolling around Waterford? that would likely be mine. I would like to take a look at your truck if you don't mind. I have been playing with these for thirty years. I actually took apart a 1966 J2000 last year and have several other FSJ's.

I am interested in seeing the early 232 engine, particularly if it has a four speed. I have only seen one other one but it was dark. I have a 258 (basically same engine) and four speed with PTO on my J20.
          Last edited by threepiece; 05-01-2014, 06:26 PM.
          FSJ Hybrid build thread: http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=43332
          We are Borg, but we don't know it yet.
          We are being assimilated but we don't know it yet.
          Resistance is not futile yet.
          Are you and your children connected yet?

Comment

• jboymechanic
            232 I6
            • Mar 26, 2014

letank,

You are right, running the pump without turning the engine over would be the best way to prime the oil system. But slowly turning over the engine by hand is a close second. I've done this many times and never had a problem with bearing damage.

threepiece,

I'm in Waterford, WI but I'm guessing you're in Waterford, MI?

Comment

• jboymechanic
              232 I6
              • Mar 26, 2014

Motor is free

Finally spent a little time on the Gladiator last night, pulled the plugs and oiled the cylinders. The guy I bought it from went ahead and turned it over right away, but it did do so freely. Did the old "finger in the spark plug hole" compression test, seems ok. It ran when parked and it turns over, so that should be enough to know it will run.

I went to check the condition of the points and the Expletive Deleted!Expletive Deleted!Expletive Deleted!Expletive Deleted! screws for the dist cap wouldn't budge. Solution: purchase a remanufactured distributor from rockauto for $45 that includes all new points, rotor and cap and send in my old one and let them deal with the screws that will most definitely break off.

Finally, I got to know it a little better. It is a T18 4 speed and it has a Dana 60 rear end. Hoping to have it running once I get the new distributor. Until then, any one know how to tell if the Dana 60 would have the Power Lock?

Comment

I always bust the cap down to the screws (after soaking with PB'Laster a bit) then use visegrips to turn them if the screwdriver can't by that point.
                Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• jboymechanic
                  232 I6
                  • Mar 26, 2014

Now Running

Well I got the engine running. While the oil was draining I put a new vacuum line from the car to the vacuum advance and hooked up a new fuel line to the fuel pump inlet and just placed the other end into a 2 gallon tank that I rested on the inner fender. After I refilled the oil cranked her over and no luck. Turns out I wasn't getting any power to the coil so I hot wired the coil direct from the battery and tried again and it fired right up. It was cold blooded and wouldn't idle on its own as the choke cable was froze up and stuck wide open. WD40 took care of that and soon enough she idled nice and smooth for the first time in 14 years.

The next step will be to get it home.

Comment

• vahokie9539
                    230 Tornado
                    • May 05, 2014

Great work and welcome from Virginia
                    Only In A Jeep

Comment

• jboymechanic
                      232 I6
                      • Mar 26, 2014

Picked up a new front axle

This weekend I picked up a 1975 GM 3/4 (8 lug) Dana 44 with disc brakes and 6 wheels and tires with matching bolt pattern for $100 on craigslist. Once I get the truck home I'll do the swap. Also, the rear is a Dana 53, so I plan on upgrading to a 8 lug full floating axle in the rear as well.

Comment

• mic63
                        258 I6
                        • Aug 19, 2004

Build date 2406Y 200433 Jun '66
                        1963 Wagoneer. 230 OHC Tornado. Three on the tree.
                        http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r...63%20Wagoneer/

Comment

• jboymechanic
                          232 I6
                          • Mar 26, 2014

If all goes according to plan, the Gladiator will finally make its way home to my garage this Saturday.

Comment

• jboymechanic
                            232 I6
                            • Mar 26, 2014

Made it home without issue

Saturday went well other than all four wheels being locked up initially. Truck wouldn't budge under its own power moving forward, so we dragged it forward in the driveway about 10 feet, all four tires skidding. But once I had room to back up all four tires broke free quite easily but the brakes continued to drag. From there we just drove it up onto the trailer and that was that.

Made a quick stop on the way home to a manual car wash and pressure washed 14 years of dirt, sap and mold and the results were pretty impressive. Next moves are to clean out the cowl and bed and then I'll post some after pictures. Then I'll get at the brakes.

Comment

• Jjkage84
                              327 Rambler
                              • May 18, 2011

Not worthless, but come on now, we love the pics! Keep up the good work!
                              1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=141075

www.youtube.com/JeepKage101

Keep Calm and Jeep On!

Comment

• jboymechanic
                                232 I6
                                • Mar 26, 2014

Some picks of clean up

Had a little time tonight to do some minor cleaning, still need to get it out of the garage to blast out the cowl, bed and air compressor. Also discovered that my gear ratio is 4.89, I'm hoping to get down to a 3.54. I plan on swapping a newer, full float rear axle assembly into the rear but want to keep the closed knuckle up front (DON'T TRY TO CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE), will the gears out of any front low pinion standard cut gear Dana 44 fit?

Here is the Jeep safe in my garage and slowly drying out.

Cowl full of pine needles and compost basically.

Cowl cleaned out, still needs a good flush.

Good shot of the PTO driven air compressor behind the cab.

Gear ratio tag on the rear Dana 53.

Comment

Working...
                                X