• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dlopeman
    232 I6
    • Sep 09, 2015

Howdy! 1989 Frankenstein Grand Wagoneer

I purchased my first Jeep Grand Wangoneer (1989) about a month ago or so. Been doing all sorts of things to it - new sparks plugs, spark wires, fixed about 5 vacuum leaks, new coil, new pickup coil in distributor, greased up the window motor thingies, fixed a problem in the tailgate window and so now it works... and lots more! This week my wife and I redid the Oil Pan gasket and we're 1/2 way done with new gaskets on the valve covers. Anywhooo... there's still so much more I wanna do and I'll be coming here from time to time seeking ya'll's advice!!! It's gonna be fun. I love this beast!

Seems like the engine was replaced, too, at some point. The heater box has a smashed in crack, and when I look up parts at auto stores, they don't always match up to 1989... like the starter I just replaced... we had to look up 1985 to get the correct one! Various little things like that keeps hinting on a different engine... So we call it the Frankenstein Wagon!

The interior was GREAT condition, minor stuff... It's WHITE (crappy paint job from PO - was originally burgundy I think...) with burgundy interior. I fixed all the speakers with gorilla glue! LOL... (they had unattached from their frames that the speaker material attaches to, if that makes sense... I'll probably replace them some day with nice ones from a junk yard. I just received several shipments of all new window sweeps, channels, roof rack gaskets, etc etc - like $700 worth of stuff from BJs and TGW... trying to keep the water coming in down to a minimum. OH... and the headliner is in great condition - flattened it with the wet-down trick - and I lined the roof with some insulation stuff (like Dynamat) from Home Depot. Also re-engineered the roof rack screws to be more water resistant with rubber gaskets, washers, locking nuts... I'll have to pull down the headliner to see how it's holding up. I have to do it anyway because I got new gaskets for the whole rack!

Hmmm... I just realized I haven't taken any pictures of it!!! Need to do that soon and post! I really should have been taking progress pix all along here... Oh well... We just dove in and starting working on stuff.

I have lots and lots of questions... I'll be posting in the appropriate places soon! Thanks!
  • Strode
    1st Chair, Cowbell
    • Nov 08, 2011

Welcome. Looking forward to the pictures.
    Brad
    (*Allowed to post while failed 'I am not a Bot' test results are under appeal)

My build thread: 1982 Cherokee Laredo

Ristow's Bunker

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

Working...
    X