• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deckroid
    232 I6
    • Oct 05, 2016

Ignition woes, 1984 GW

Help!!

Ok, I need some help. My starter won't turn off. About a week ago, it wasn't starting. Took a bit but then it did and there was a wiff of a burned wire smell, but I thought it was solenoid related as that tends to happen with that thing cranks for a bit. Here is what I have done so far...

I pulled the starter solenoid and starter. The teeth were worn a bit and there was some metal shavings inside so I figured what the hay, it's an original part, I will replace it. I changed out the wire that goes from the solenoid to the starter as it was na-haaa-stay. It about fell apart in my hands. I changed the solenoid. I dropped the steering column and changed out the ignition switch.

As a test, I reconnected the battery and WHAMO it was trying to start yet again. Key was in the off position.

I have a multimeter, Klein mm600, but it has been 20 years since I used one other than checking a battery. I also have Serehil's (RIP) wiring harness for my lights. Other than that, everything is just about stock, as far as I know. I am the 3rd owner.

Anyone have ANY ideas, helpful hints or insight?

Thanks!

George in Idaho
  • KZ900Jim
    230 Tornado
    • Sep 25, 2017

Work backwards from the solenoid to the ignition switch, the wire that goes hot when you go to start is staying hot for some reason.

Comment

Working...
    X