• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maxgroup
    232 I6
    • Jun 15, 2015

1991 Dream Wagon

Hello everyone,

I?ve been reading many of the builds and decided it?s time to start my own grand Waggy Resto Mod thread. I call it dream car because I always wanted one.

I remember the first time I saw a Wagoneer. It was in Israel, in the late 60s early 70s. I went with my dad to service his car (contessa 900, built by Hino motors) and the service manager for the Contessa had a Wagoneer. My dad pointed the car out and we both said we want one. I was probably 5 or 6.

So it took me a few decades to actually own one. I bought a 1991 from its original owner in CA a few years ago and then life happened and I got very little progress so far. My goal is to get a modern drivetrain transplanted in the Waggy, while getting the exterior back to the 60s clean look.
  • Maxgroup
    232 I6
    • Jun 15, 2015

Now I need to figure out how to post pics, seems my pic files are too big.

Comment

• toddthewelder
      258 I6
      • Dec 30, 2010

Originally posted by Maxgroup
      Now I need to figure out how to post pics, seems my pic files are too big.
      use flickr, it's free and it's good. I'm sure their is more than one way to do it, but when I post from flickr I have my thread page open I want to past to, and flickr open and click on the pic I want to upload, after the pic comes up you can look on the lower right hand side of the screen and there will be an arrow that's curved to the right, that is the share photo button, click it and it will open up a dialog box that says "share 1 photo to: " and below that will be the sharing options. Click the one on the right that says BBCode, when you click it, it will highlight the url of the picture and below that box is the one to resize the pic ( I use medium 640x480 ). right click the highlighted url click copy and the right click your build thread and click paste. sorry that was so long, and good luck on the build.
      80 cj 5
      87 GW
      Another 87 GW
      88 GW
      99 Wrangler
      07 Dodge 3500
      67 Chevy SWB
      2 furry shop bosses (Ash & Duke(RIP 2/13/16))

Comment

• Maxgroup
        232 I6
        • Jun 15, 2015

Got my new yellow top optima over the weekend.
        Got my kids to help me wash the car before I started working.
        Took out the old one, there was a little rust on the battery tray and around it. Went and got some rustolium.

Took out the battery tray and cleaned it from rust. Luckily on the fender itself there was just a little surface rust. Cleaned and painted and let dry.
        The holder was zip tied on one side and missing a rod. So I got a pair on eBay for $4. Ordered new cables also.

Today the rods arrived so I just had to install everything back with the old cables. It was raining and the truck fought back
        Had to clean the inside of the negative cable end as it started to be too much of a cone.
        Then of course the 10 guage ground cable broke. Got a crimp connector and fixed it.
        Started it and went for a little ride. Fun fun fun!

Comment

• toddthewelder
          258 I6
          • Dec 30, 2010

How did it drive?
          80 cj 5
          87 GW
          Another 87 GW
          88 GW
          99 Wrangler
          07 Dodge 3500
          67 Chevy SWB

Comment

• Maxgroup
            232 I6
            • Jun 15, 2015

I need to adjust the transmission, the gear change is rough, also rear axle has some bearing noise. And the engine needs some tuning as well. But since I’m going to install a complete new drivetrain, I’m letting it be for now.

The new suspension seems to settle in and is actually quite soft and nice. Note to self - tourque those suspension bolts again ��

I need to have some body work done on the sides where I took off the fake wood, and after that new hart transplant.

I’m planning an SRT 6.4 VVT engine with a ZF 8HP70, not sure which t case or how to get the transfer case connected but am investigating this. I ordered engine mounts from Thompson and will work out the trans mount when I have the parts in the air.
            Oh and I’ll get some pics on eventually.....

Comment

• toddthewelder
              258 I6
              • Dec 30, 2010

sounds cool, good luck with it all
              80 cj 5
              87 GW
              Another 87 GW
              88 GW
              99 Wrangler
              07 Dodge 3500
              67 Chevy SWB

Comment

• bkilby
                350 Buick
                • Jan 10, 2016

I don't know if the aftermarket is supporting that 8 speed just yet. You might call around and ask if you haven't already. Also, you should be able to find it in a 2014 and later 4x4 Ram truck, Durango and Jeep Grand Cherokee I believe. If you haven't found the 6.4 yet, I have 2 sitting in my shop that are for sale.
                1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• Maxgroup
                  232 I6
                  • Jun 15, 2015

Originally posted by bkilby
                  I don't know if the aftermarket is supporting that 8 speed just yet. You might call around and ask if you haven't already. Also, you should be able to find it in a 2014 and later 4x4 Ram truck, Durango and Jeep Grand Cherokee I believe. If you haven't found the 6.4 yet, I have 2 sitting in my shop that are for sale.
                  Thanks.
                  I may take you up on that. Although shipping from CA to NJ may be a killer. I?m looking for a new model wrack, but it?s not easy to find......

Comment

• bkilby
                    350 Buick
                    • Jan 10, 2016

You're probably looking at $300 or so for shipping. No too bad.

Comment

• Maxgroup
                      232 I6
                      • Jun 15, 2015

Sounds good.
                      Tell me more about the engines you have. You can private massage me prices if you prefer. Are those non mds crate, or take off? Do you have the electronics? Accessories etc?

Comment

• bkilby
                        350 Buick
                        • Jan 10, 2016

A private massage? Lol! I'll send a PM.

Comment

• Maxgroup
                          232 I6
                          • Jun 15, 2015

Managed to take out all the interior trim in preparation for paint as well as the factory roof rack and some chrome pieces. Rear bench went out on 4 minutes, passenger seat nuts turning freely, I need to get under there and see how to get them open.

The positive, not one spot of rust anywhere on the car. Under the battery tray was the only rust spot!
                          The negative, it seems no one has the electronics to make the new ZF 8 speed work, so it seems I need to get a complete donor Jeep GC from a wrack and take out the entire drivetrain and electronics and bolt on my Waggy, so double the work, but also maybe double the fun......

Comment

• Maxgroup
                            232 I6
                            • Jun 15, 2015

After scouring the net to no avail and getting good advice from some Mopar guys, I decided to buy a donor car. Purchased a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland from a front collision. Runs and drives and has 30,000 miles on it.

5.7 Hemi, 8 speed ZF, quadra drive T case, can?t wait to delivery.
                            Of course as soon as it gets here I need to travel for a week for work. And then install my lift, but after that, let the wrenching begin!

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                              304 AMC
                              • Jul 20, 2014

Sounds like a great build! Cant wait to see it.
                              1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
                              Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

Working...
                              X