• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • irbob
    360 AMC
    • Apr 11, 2000

Body Lifts

Well now that I did all the hair pulling over springs it looks like I will end up doing a body lift for now. At less than $100.00 I can cure the tire rubbing in the wheel well problem and spend the rest of the would be spring money on replacing the transmission in my wife?s Park Avenue. Let me see, 3" body lift then 3" spring lift. Hey folks now I see how you get away with this stuff with the better halve's.

So now what you ask? Well could I get your humble opinions on the body lifts? Performance Accessories and Trail Master have them here: Ummmb...Body Lifts
    Do you know of any others? Maybe I should just lift the Buick and take it Elk hunting this year. It may be less time consuming. TIA

Don't forget to show your pride in being a part of this forum. Order a Sticker now by following the link below in my signature.

------------------
    Me IFSJA Window Sticker
    83 Brougham, 360, 999 Auto, NP229, F/Dana 44F, R/AMC 8 7/8", 31X10.5 Pathfinder's, Rancho 9000's, 2" lift blocks. "Have you been off road lately?"
    Bob
    83 Wagoneer Brougham (Rolled) Woooof
    83 Wagoneer Limited (Parts Rig) Woooof II
  • porkchop
    Master of B.S.
    • Apr 17, 2000

I ordered the performance accessories lift. There are two different ones, one has 10 blocks the other has 12. Make sure you get the right one if you order that. I was going to get the trail master but they were all out and would not get anymore for about 6 to 8 weeks when I called. There is no real difference in the two in my opinion.

------------------
    '67/'79 Wagoneer mix
    Body of a 33 year old
    Heart and legs of a 21 year old.
    360,TH400,QT,D44's F&R
    32X11.50's

"I regret that I have but only one paycheck to give to my Jeep."

Comment

I built my own body lift kit using some really thick black plastic pipe cut to the amount of lift I wanted, some washers used for a guide inside the pipe, and 10 six inch long 5/8" bolts. Most of this was made from items I had laying around. I had to buy the new bolts and washers. 2 1/2 inches of lift for about eight bucks.

------------------
      DLyons
      84 Grand Wagoneer
      360 (For now!)
      2" Suspension Lift
      2 1/2" Body Lift
      Rattle Can Paintjob

Comment

• scotty
        • Jun 12, 2000

ive got the performance accessories lift as well. i got the wrong kit,but it worked out for the better. i only had to buy a couple of bolts to make it work,and i made 2 more body mounts on the rear crossmember using the extra blocks. i went this rout for basically same reasons:cheap,quick,and easy. and becasue i couldnt cut anymore than i allready have.

the biggest complaint about body lifts is the space between the bumpers and the body. the kits dont come with bumper brackets,so youll have to make some,or fill in the gaps with somethig else. it didnt bother me,since i have homemade bumpers. you cant really even tell in the front. the back you can tell,but, its for the woods,so it doesnt really matter.
        the other downfall is that it doesnt really increase ground clearance(except for that which comes with the use of larger tires) a suspension lift increases your breakover angle,while body lift does not.

the other thing is that every type of maintenance that a person could perform on a truck is 10 times easier. everything form pulling the tranny to changing the oil. i even have enough room to unbolt and remove my transfer case without removing the tranny crossmember!

------------------
        scott
        85 grand wagoneer
        258 with motorcraft 2bbl/904/twin stick dana 300/dana 44/welded amc 20
        38x15.5 gumbo mudders
        snorkel/dual batteries/onboard air/"custom" convertable
        3 inch body lift/mostly stock suspension/"modified" fender openings
        custom front/rear bumpers and brushgaurd

possible small block chevy "test" swap in near future
        scotty
        85 grand wagoneer
        258/t18/d20/10 bolt/14 bolt
        38" TSL SXs
        chopped,bobbed and caged

http://nightcrawlers4wd.20megsfree.com/index.html\

http://mytrailrigs4x4.20megsfree.com/photo.html\

Comment

• porkchop
          Master of B.S.
          • Apr 17, 2000

I have not installed my body lift yet. I have a SOA and have trimed up the fender wells alittle so right now I have to much room with my 32X11.50's. I do not want to install the body lift until I get my 35's otherwise it will look real strange with the "tiny" tires on it. Also I have to do some fabing because I have a '67 and the kit is for later Jeeps. I hope to have it done this winter though.

------------------
          '67/'79 Wagoneer mix
          Body of a 33 year old
          360,TH400,QT,D44's F&R
          32X11.50's

Comment

• MonsterMash

Did any of you guys who did the body lifts have any major problem removing the old bolts? Did you need any special tools (ie. torch, impact driver,etc.)?

------------------
            '84GW360--"Spinner"
            And on the eighth day God created Jeep so man would not be bored.

Comment

The only problem I encountered was having two of the nuts that are tack welded in the body break loose. I had to pry open the metal around the nut and reweld it to the body.
              I also had to lengthen the shifter linkage a couple inches (cut the head off a bolt of the same diameter and welded it in place).
              The small clamps that hold the E-brake cables had to be unbolted from the frame on each side. The whole installation went better than expected but plan on about half a day.

------------------
              DLyons
              84 Grand Wagoneer
              360 (For now!)
              2" Suspension Lift
              2 1/2" Body Lift
              Rattle Can Paintjob

Comment

• irbob
                360 AMC
                • Apr 11, 2000

So I guess nobody has tries the trail master kit? Maybe I will try that one, you know, like a FSJeeper, and be diffrent.

Which one is the right one for my "83", the 10 or 12 block kit? Ok irbob get off your behind and look. Alright I will.

DLyons, your the man. Just what kind of heavy duty plastic was that you used for the blocks?

Well looks like I better hop under the old Jeep and WD those bolts cuz I will order that kit tomorrow. I will get lots of pics and post in my Yahoo briefcase.

------------------
                Me IFSJA Window Sticker
                83 Brougham, 360, 999 Auto, NP229, F/Dana 44F, R/AMC 8 7/8", 31X10.5 Pathfinder's, Rancho 9000's, 2" lift blocks. "Have you been off road lately?"

[This message has been edited by irbob (edited August 12, 2000).]
                Bob

Comment

What kind of thick plastic pipe you ask?
                  I'll tell you but don't laugh because it worked. Have you ever noticed in front of the local Kmart garden center the black plastic tables they stack the flowers and trees on.
                  Well I work at Kmart so I borrowed a couple spare legs for these tables. They are increddibly strong and the perfect diameter for the body lift. I used my miter saw and cut ten spacers at 2 1/2 inches. Worked great. Now, please don't go to Kmart and steal all the legs off the tables!

------------------
                  DLyons
                  84 Grand Wagoneer
                  360 (For now!)
                  2" Suspension Lift
                  2 1/2" Body Lift
                  Rattle Can Paintjob

Comment

• irbob
                    360 AMC
                    • Apr 11, 2000

I have some errands to make and quess what? Kmart's on the way. hehehehe

------------------
                    Me IFSJA Window Sticker
                    Bob

Comment

• porkchop
                      Master of B.S.
                      • Apr 17, 2000

Hey irbob, both River Beast and GM Killer have the trailmaster body lift on there rigs. If you can get a hold of one of them they can tell you how the install went. They even gave me their extra blocks since I have 14 points on my '67.

------------------
                      '67/'79 Wagoneer mix
                      Body of a 33 year old
                      360,TH400,QT,D44's F&R
                      32X11.50's

Comment

irbob,

I have the Trailmaster 3" kit (#9315) but paid too much for it at the time. I had the same problems as mentioned above... busted blind nuts, rusty bolts, you name it. The kit comes with the extension rods for your linkage(s)as with as couple of wrong sized bolts (as mentioned in another post) I had to buy 4 bolts in the proper length and size. I guess they have a wide variance of bodymount bolts for the years listed on the kit.

Good luck... took me 8-10 hours by myself to tackle the job... would have been 6-8 if it weren't for busted blind nuts in the frame.

------------------
                        TJ
                        78 Wagoneer "River Beast"
                        360/TH400/QT
                        Dana 44's (soon to be 4.88's)
                        7" SOA conversion
                        4" Skyjacker Softride
                        3" Trailmaster Bodylift
                        33x12.50's on 15x10's
                        (soon 38.5x14.50's on 12's)
                        My FSJ site: http://www.geocities.com/~spazz4life
                        "Where there's a hill...there's a way!"
                        Todd
                        www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Marc_01
                          327 Rambler
                          • May 10, 2000

Im going to put a 3in body on my wag soon, I have some questions about the lift.

1. Did you guys have to take off the linkage to weld the extension on it?

2. Is it true you don't have to get new gas hoes? You can just re-rout the same hoes over the frame hole?

3. Was moving the radiator a must? if it is, was it difficult to relocate 3in down?

4. Brake lines? Man of man, it looks like a pain to bend some more slack in those hard lines coming from the master cylinder. Was it difficult?

5. Transfer case linkage, does it have to be lenghtened or adjusted?

I would greatly appreciate any help on these matters.

------------------
                          87 Grand Wagoneer
                          360, D44's, 229, 2.73
                          Headers
                          K&N Filter
                          Eldebrock Intake
                          Holley 600 4 bl.
                          -------------------------
                          Soon:
                          6inch suspension
                          3in. body
                          35's
                          3.73's.
                          87 GW & it\'s brown

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marc_01:
                            Im going to put a 3in body on my wag soon, I have some questions about the lift.

1. Did you guys have to take off the linkage to weld the extension on it?

2. Is it true you don't have to get new gas hoes? You can just re-rout the same hoes over the frame hole?

3. Was moving the radiator a must? if it is, was it difficult to relocate 3in down?

4. Brake lines? Man of man, it looks like a pain to bend some more slack in those hard lines coming from the master cylinder. Was it difficult?

5. Transfer case linkage, does it have to be lenghtened or adjusted?

I would greatly appreciate any help on these matters.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here are your answers:

1. It is best to remove your linkage for the welding.... can be done on the rig but if you got a QT the Low Range lever is WA"Y TOO CLOSE TO THE TANK.

2. Yes... you can re-route your hoses. no new ones are needed.

3. Yes... moving the radiator is a must. Just measure 3" lower from the existing mounting holes and you have a lowered radiator.... if your don't... your shroud will be chewed to bits as well as your trans. cooling lines.

4. No bending required on the brake lines. They are coiled just below the master cylinder and will easily compensate the lift on their own.

5. As stated in #1... highly recommended to remove it. I'm not sure on the T-case linkage... I have a QT.

4 out of 5 ain't bad

Good luck... it's about an 8 hour job goin' solo with no rusted bolts. Remember to remove your bumpers BEFORE jacking the body off the frame (body lips will catch under the bumper) and check for wire bundles zip tied to the frame in the rear.

------------------
                            TJ
                            78 Wagoneer "River Beast"
                            360/TH400/QT
                            Dana 44's (soon to be 4.88's)
                            7" SOA conversion
                            4" Skyjacker Softride
                            3" Trailmaster Bodylift
                            33x12.50's on 15x10's
                            (soon 38.5x14.50's on 12's)
                            My FSJ site: http://www.geocities.com/~spazz4life
                            "Where there's a hill...there's a way!"
                            Todd
                            www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

i have been wanting to put a 2" on my wag but like anyone that wants to do it, i have some questions too.

i have been wanting to install a B&M floor shifter on the 727, would this type of shifter have to be modified in any way?

the radiator wont be any prob because i should have an electric fan up front soon.

are there any way of getting around welding on the transfer case linkage to make it work. are there any kits out there that have an adapter of sorts to make it work properly, cause i have no acess to a welder.

------------------
                              87 Grand wagoneer (stock, for now)
                              85 Grand Wagoneer LTD (soon to be parts beast)
                              NP 208
                              Warn Locking Hubs
                              15x8 Black RockCrawlers
                              And still piling up parts

Comment

Working...
                              X