• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Conn
    230 Tornado
    • Jun 23, 2000

swapping t-15 for t-18 in 75 j-10..have questions

I want to can the T-15 in my 75 J-10, 360, for a t-18 or t-18a 4 speed. will the t-18's bolt up to the t-15 bellhousing? will the t-18 bolt up to my transfer case? the t case is a D20? Would a 4 speed out of a CJ work? If not, from what vehicle could i find a donor tranny? thanks alot
  • scotty
    • Jun 12, 2000

it is important to use the bellhousing that comes with the tranny,since t18s used differnt length input shafts,depending on the application. your dana 20 will bolt to the t18. dont use a cj t18-all factory equipped cjs got the 4.0 to 1 first gear version.you can find a t18 in full size jeeps up to 79,and a t19 in 80 or big jeeps.

hope this helps,sorry couldnt be more specific.

------------------
    scott
    85 grand wagoneer
    258/904/twin stick dana 300/dana 44/amc 20
    38x15.5 gumbo mudders
    snorkel/dual batteries/onboard air/"custom" convertable
    3 inch body lift/mostly stock suspension/"modified" fender openings
    custom front/rear bumpers and brushgaurd
    scotty
    85 grand wagoneer
    258/t18/d20/10 bolt/14 bolt
    38" TSL SXs
    chopped,bobbed and caged

http://nightcrawlers4wd.20megsfree.com/index.html\

http://mytrailrigs4x4.20megsfree.com/photo.html\

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

I have to disagree with Scotty here...
      The T-18A(6.32:1 low gear) was indeed used in CJ's in 1976-78 at least and possibly 79. The previous years 75's and back used the T-18 with the 4.02:1 lo gear though.
      T-18's and T-18A's are easy to get mixed up.
      The "original" T-18 was the close ratio 6.32 low gear model "but" after about 70 or so when the T-18A designation came out the close ratio(6.32 lo) model became the T-18A and a wide ratio(4.02 lo) model became available and badged the T-18.
      So if you're looking for a granny/lo geared model you'll be looking for a T-18A from about 70 up or a T-18 from about 69-70 back. Whatever you find you'll want to spin the shaft one turn and count the revs to make sure what 1st gear it has.
      Also the T-19(all syncro version of the T-18A) was "never used in any FSJ's" from the factory. For a T-19 you'll have to go to an 80ish Scout but they are really rare. I think Ford's and Dodges used the T-19 also but I don't know when.

-joe
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Conn
        230 Tornado
        • Jun 23, 2000

So, will a transmission from a CJ work? Or is it too short. I really hope it does. J-10's are a very rare find in the local boneyards, but cj's are a dime a dozen. I would love to have a granny low first. My dad used to be a "jeep freak" of sorts and he was saying that the 3 speeds weren't very heavy duty and that if i wanted to pull anything or do any wheeling i would be better off to swap it. plus the gear ratios in the 3 speeds must really stink. i don't know what 1st gear is but i hate it. And I WILL have to change bellhousings but i WILL be able to keep my D20 t case, Right?
        I really appreciate all the help guys, I used to own a scout, and knew alot about it, but this jeep thing is all new to me.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by -joe:
        I have to disagree with Scotty here...
        The T-18A(6.32:1 low gear) was indeed used in CJ's in 1976-78 at least and possibly 79. The previous years 75's and back used the T-18 with the 4.02:1 lo gear though.
        T-18's and T-18A's are easy to get mixed up.
        The "original" T-18 was the close ratio 6.32 low gear model "but" after about 70 or so when the T-18A designation came out the close ratio(6.32 lo) model became the T-18A and a wide ratio(4.02 lo) model became available and badged the T-18.
        So if you're looking for a granny/lo geared model you'll be looking for a T-18A from about 70 up or a T-18 from about 69-70 back. Whatever you find you'll want to spin the shaft one turn and count the revs to make sure what 1st gear it has.
        Also the T-19(all syncro version of the T-18A) was "never used in any FSJ's" from the factory. For a T-19 you'll have to go to an 80ish Scout but they are really rare. I think Ford's and Dodges used the T-19 also but I don't know when.

-joe
        <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

• scotty
          • Jun 12, 2000

sorry,didnt mean to confuse the t18/t18A/t19 issue. i get the a/19 thing confused. they are all basically versions of the same thing. anyway,i have read that the cjs all got the higher first gear. if i have been misinformed,sorry for the confusion.

yes,the cj trannies will be significantly shorter than the full size versions. im sure you could use it,but youll have to move your crossmember forward. you can keep your current t case,but the cj and full size used different shifters for the t cases. if you use a full size t case shifter on a short tranny,your shifter may end up by the firewall where you cant reach it. im not sure if youd have any clearacne trouble using a cj shifter with a short tranny in a full size.

definately check the first gear before handing over any nonrefundable cash-the moral of the story is that just because it is in a cj or a big jeep,that doesnt neccessarily mean that the first gear is high or low.

the easiest way to swap it would be to get it from a full size and take the bellhousing,tranny shifter,clutch linkage,t case and shifter,and both driveshafts,and simply swap the whole thing. for simplicity sake id probably just leave the t case on the new tranny,unless its missing. keep your stock one for a spare,in the unlikely event that you ever break a dana 20.this will hopefully minimize the number of modifications and hassles.

good luck- im currently looking for an 80 or later t18a(right joe?) for my 85 grand wag.in my case,i simply want to get rid of my auto,and end up with a granny first- its really cool to put it in granny first,4low and creep over/up/through things without touching the gas!

------------------
          scott
          85 grand wagoneer
          38x15.5 gumbo mudders

[This message has been edited by scotty (edited July 22, 2000).]
          scotty
          85 grand wagoneer
          38" TSL SXs
          chopped,bobbed and caged

Comment

• joe
            • Apr 28, 2000

Conn, a CJ T-18A should work. I don't know of any differences in lengths etc. For what it's worth the factory AMC parts manual shows the exact same p/n (940 495)for the T-18A for all the 74-78 Jeeps including the truck/chero/cj models. According to AMC anyway they're all the same trans.

-joe
            joe

Comment

• scotty
              • Jun 12, 2000

i have friends with cjs and friends with wagoneers. i cant spout off the years that they used the A/19,or whatever,but im telling you that the whole assembly is shorter. yes, the trans itself is the same. however,the bellhousings and input shafts are different lengths. if you take a t18a out of a cj and stick it in your j10 and use your transfer case and shifter,the shifter will end up by the firewall. if you go this route youll have to move your crossmember forward,use the cj shifter,and make new driveshafts.

all of the wagoneer t18s ive seen have a spacer between the bellhousing and tranny to put the tranny in the same perspective location. the firewall is alot further away from the driver in a j10 than it is in a cj.

how many part numbers do they list for input shafts,bellhousings,and trans to bellhousing adapters?

------------------
              scott
              85 grand wagoneer
              38x15.5 gumbo mudders
              scotty
              85 grand wagoneer
              38" TSL SXs
              chopped,bobbed and caged

Comment

• joe
                • Apr 28, 2000

Yeah you're right Scotty. My above post did leave the impression it's a direct bolt-in which it isn't. I should have included "providing you get all the adapters etc with it". I was looking at it from the the angle of which T18 is the easiest to make work. So far as I know there isn't any tranny swap that's a 100% "I don't have to change anything" swap.
                The 4spd adapters seem to be the same for the 258's regardless of CJ or truck but the ones for the V8's are different p/n's as are the V8's bellhousings. The input shafts also have various p/n's depending not only on type of rig, cj or truck but also V8 or I-6 and also vary from one year to the next even in the same rig with the same motor. What those differences are I haven't a clue.
                -joe
                joe

Comment

Working...
                X