• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bkilby
    350 Buick
    • Jan 10, 2016

The truck is looking great!
    1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• Frank Ziebert
      327 Rambler
      • Dec 04, 2016

NICE!
      1970 J2000(2500) Currently undergoing frame off resto
      Stinger 2005 Jeep Unlimited, Sahara, Rubicon slightly modified

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
        360 AMC
        • Oct 02, 2002

Holy Moly that looks GREAT!!!! Yes stop being so hard on yourself. We are ALL amateurs... I have been so busy trying to get paint on and traveling that I have not had much time to sit still long enough to post up. But I had to on my way to the shop this morning.. Wow Greg, You are a motivator big time. I showed Liz too. You got a big long woooooow!
        The truck is just awesome. And thanks for showing the seals going on. I am building a piece to try and help me make SS staples for when I put them on Sadie.

Yes that was a firetruck. I with a neighbor bought a Tanker brush truck that was retired from a local dept. 1350 gallons on the back and a two cylinder Wisconsin to push two 50 foot streams for 40 minutes. I worry a lot and the 28K acre fire we had just up the road in 2015 did not help. It's as dry as a bone here now and everything is brown and brittle again. Mid 90's for temps all week and lightning coming soon. No I don't get nervous.

The truck is looking great Greg. And I see Frank is just about to squirt paint on. I enjoyed his pictures with Todd there. We coasted through everyones threads this morning. Cool beans guys.

Now where is my sandpaper?
        Melford1972 says...
        I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
        -----------------------
        I make wag parts
        1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
        1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
        1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
        1968 M715 restomod
        2001 Dodge 3500
        2002 Toyota Tundra
        2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
        Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• EKWagoneer
          232 I6
          • Jun 01, 2016

Dang that paint is lookin' good!
          You are making everyone else look bad with how fast you're working! (But keep it up!)
          If you're happy with it ya can't complain too much.

Ely
          1973 Wagoneer- nearly stock, work in progress
          1/2 1975 Wagoneer- rolling chassis, D44's 6" lift, 35's, work in progress
          1992 Chevy Suburban 1500 Silverado, mostly stock, 396,000 miles and counting

I'm a secondhand vegetarian- cows eat grass, I eat cows.

Have A Nice Day!

Comment

• 63J200atLSU
            327 Rambler
            • Jan 15, 2016

Thanks guys!

I've pretty much made the truck my full-time job this summer. I'd been stocking up on things to knock out some big list items during the semester, and I've just kinda let myself go nuts.

I am pretty much amazed at how much I don't care about all the imperfections in the bodywork, the overspray here and there, even the accidental booboos that have happened since the paint. It's just starting to feel exactly like the truck I want it to be and I am stoked.

Elizabeth's brother came over and helped me out with the hood. That's definitely a two man job. This old truck is starting to look right pretty! I also rewired the headlights and put the grille back on. Couldn't stand that open hole anymore, was like looking at grandma without her teeth in.

Also, a small-yet-not-insignificant thing that got done yesterday was I got the rear glass in. That was nerve-racking. I don't know if you've ever tried to find a replacement rear window for a small window cab, but there aren't many around. I suppose I could've had one cut if need be, but I'm glad it didn't come to that. Found the weather strip profile on accident on ebay and it matched the old seal exactly. Cut to fit, applied sealant. And much finagling later...

Today, the goal is to remask/respray the pie pans and get the electrical sorted out again. I had everything working before I disassembled the dash. That should be a fun exercise in memory games... I have all of the other gaskets and window channels coming in soon, so the doors will be sealed soon, at which point the only glass left to mount will be the windshield. BJ's windshield gasket is backordered, but is supposed to ship before the end of the week, says Ryan. I'd also like to get the seat test fitted, but I don't know if I'm brave enough to do that with just me here. I would hate to mess up the sills/rockers. The mounting points are good to go though. I did not realize they were still intact, although covered up when I redid the floors as the seat wasn't attached when I got the truck. I'm actually pretty sure the seat is from a Wagoneer or Cherokee as it has an ash tray on the back of it...

And what the heck, I'll probably try and get the floor sound dampened today. And paint the glove box door and mirror if the weather cooperates...
            '63 J200 Resto-mod in progress
            (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=178651)

If all goes well, we can toast to accidental successes.

I'm convinced I'm just too dumb to know that I can't restore this old truck...

Comment

• jeepman1
              258 I6
              • Jul 22, 2015

keep on truckin'

Man, that's looking great! After buying a house this spring and finding out it has as much to fix as my old j10, I just haven't had the energy to get out to the barn and work on it.. your pictures have given me hope! Thanks
              : 98 9er
              '83 Honcho j10
              '12 Liberty Ltd.. wifes
              '19 Chaparral H2o Dlx sport 21

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                360 AMC
                • Oct 02, 2002

Boy no kidding! That looks super!
                Melford1972 says...
                I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
                -----------------------
                I make wag parts
                1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                1968 M715 restomod
                2001 Dodge 3500
                2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• KaiserMan
                  I got the Willys....
                  • Jun 21, 2005

That's really looking great. You picked a perfect color, it really goes well with the dash.

Do you happen to have a link for the seal you used on the back cab glass? The one on my 63 has shrunk.
                  Thomas Russell
                  1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
                  1971 Gladiator
                  J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
                  1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

• 63J200atLSU
                    327 Rambler
                    • Jan 15, 2016

Hey Thom! Here's what I used. That's assuming, of course that the old seal was the correct ones, but it matched the glass thickness and metal thickness, so I'm optimistic!

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                      Administrator
                      • Oct 31, 2016

Is that lizard skin sprayed on your floor pans? If so, any advice/recommendations on it?
                      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                      (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                      (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                      79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                      (Cherokee Build Thread)
                      11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                      09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Frank Ziebert
                        327 Rambler
                        • Dec 04, 2016

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                        Is that lizard skin sprayed on your floor pans? If so, any advice/recommendations on it?
                        I know you addressed this to Greg but......
                        I have both lizard skin heat and sound sprayed to both sides of my LJ' s tub and fire wall and I used their "special---$$$$----lizard skin sprayer.

Would I do it again? Nope!
                        For the prize of this stuff I was hoping for a LOT better reduction of sound and heat than I got!!!! I would use anyone of the undercoating sprays from any of the big name guys like Duplicolor etc. Oh, and that special sprayer---just another undercoating gun at at four times the price. IMHO

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                          Administrator
                          • Oct 31, 2016

Copy that, Frank! exactly the kind of info I wanted!

I have Eastwoods budget undercoating gun (was $8 when I bought it years ago) and asked Eastwood if it could be used for lizard skin and they said it could.

Bummer to hear on your results. I am not so worried about heat but I do want sound deadening. I don't want to pay the money or have the added weight of Dynomat and was/am hoping lizard skin is a better option.

BT

I LOVE the rims and tires on your rig! What are your plans for them? Are you gonna throw a coat of paint on them, leave them, or replace them?
                          Last edited by rang-a-stang; 08-04-2017, 09:19 AM.
                          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                          (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                          (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                          (Cherokee Build Thread)
                          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                            360 AMC
                            • Oct 02, 2002

I coated the entire inside of a 83 Subaru GL wagon with Lizard skin. (I know, I fix odd things) I could not tell the difference when I put it all back together.
                            Essentially a waste of time and money.

Thanks for the link Greg.
                            Melford1972 says...
                            -----------------------
                            I make wag parts
                            1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                            1968 M715 restomod
                            2001 Dodge 3500
                            2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Frank Ziebert
                              327 Rambler
                              • Dec 04, 2016

Originally posted by Kaiserjeeps
                              I coated the entire inside of a 83 Subaru GL wagon with Lizard skin. (I know, I fix odd things) I could not tell the difference when I put it all back together.
                              Essentially a waste of time and money.

Thanks for the link Greg.

Exactly--and on the floor of my LJ it does not hold up to foot traffic.

Comment

• 63J200atLSU
                                327 Rambler
                                • Jan 15, 2016

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                                Copy that, Frank! exactly the kind of info I wanted!

I have Eastwoods budget undercoating gun (was $8 when I bought it years ago) and asked Eastwood if it could be used for lizard skin and they said it could.

Bummer to hear on your results. I am not so worried about heat but I do want sound deadening. I don't want to pay the money or have the added weight of Dynomat and was/am hoping lizard skin is a better option.

BT

I LOVE the rims and tires your rig! WHat are your plans for them? Are you gonna throw a coat of paint on them, leave them, or replace them?
                                The floors are actually the roll-on herculiner. In all honesty, I think I chose it to cover up some of my first welding attempts, but I'm also going to sound mat (I'm using noico, which is a Russian knock off of dynamat. Definitely does a great job with noise and vibration reduction, I think it's $60 for 50 sq ft on eBay) them an also carpet them. I might be going a little overboard to compensate for the non-floors the truck originally had, but I think it'll make for a cab that feels tight as a drum.

It's funny you ask about the wheels and tires. People ask me when I'm getting new rims all the time but I'm sticking with these rims! I found a guy on the Facebook FSJ group who had a pair of NOS Kaiser era dog dishes that I picked up. They're amazing. So I'm going to blast the rims and get a good coat of paint on them, but I think I want to do that after I get new tires. I'm planning on doing an all terrain radial just for safety and drive ability and I think the all terrains would look closest to the super traxion tread profile (that would be my first choice if I felt ok with bias ply tires for lots of driving... may go that way anyhow). That way, the tire shop can mount and balance the tires on the old paint and then I can make them pretty after. I'll keep the posts coming!

Comment

Working...
                                X