Rear drive shaft removal--one more time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joe's 89
    350 Buick
    • Nov 21, 2001

Rear drive shaft removal--one more time.

Well the tire balancing that I thought got rid of the rear vibration in my 89 wag didn't. It's back (Actually, it never left). Checking the torque on all the rear end bolts, replacing the rear universal joints, tranny mount, and new shocks didn't help either.

I checked my TSM and one of the troubleshooting tests is removing the rear driveshaft to eliminate the driveshaft as being the source of the vibration. I asked about this last week and eveyone said "NO DON'T DO IT!!". Since the TSM says to, what gives? I understand about the front shaft removal is bad, but what about the back? Is it different for the rear shaft because of where the torque source is for the differential in the xfer case?

Confused in Carolina....
  • reddog
    304 AMC
    • Jul 26, 2000

MY understanding is that removing either driveshaft with the 229 xfer case with the case in 4wh will fry the viscous coupler QUICKLY. I no longer have my 84 TSM so can't tell you what it says. The coupler is about $350 from what I understand.

Kerry
    87 GW<br />4\" Skyjacker system<br />TFI upgrade<br />360,727,NP229<br />it looks a little more like RiverBeast - and I\'m not dreaming!...<br />... just another 10 inches or so to go ...<br /><br />and NOW with an interesting bend to the body...

Comment

• Bandit
      258 I6
      • Jan 17, 2001

I'd say if the TSM says try it.....try it. Be sure to weatherproof your openings that are left without it and give it a run. What have you got to loose.... other than a vibration?
      1983 J-10 Sportside,360 w/Eldelbrock intake and carb. Flowmaster custom duals, 1" lift w/Trailmaster shocks, 33x1250R15 Buckshots & Pacer Alloys....."JEEP" enough said!!!

Comment

The TSM generalizes repairs and troubleshooting procedures. There are times it suggests a procedure that is meant for another type of component. I will guarantee you that driving a NP229 with one driveshaft is detrimental to its health & your wallet. I might add I am fresh out of the NP229's as well If you think it is the driveshaft I would take it in and have it checked, or get another driveshaft either way it will be cheaper than ruining the T-Case.
        Daily Driver 2008 Wrangler Sahara
        Going, Gone, or Thinking Fishing

Comment

Working...
        X