• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shortfat300
    232 I6
    • Aug 21, 2006

Checking the viscous coupler on a NP229

Hello all,

I have two NP229's and both seem to be okay with one having a little more back and forth play (rotational) than the other. The one with a little more play also has a spot on top of the case where someone used JB Weld on it . When I say it has a little more play, I would say it moves 1/8" more in each direction than the other. The better of the two may have 1/4" play from front to back shafts. So to me it sound like the one with less play would be the better of the two for using in my 83 Waggy build. Now on to the main question; how do I tell if the viscous coupler is good or bad in either of these? One has no fluid it it as it was drained before I got it. The other I drained myself about three months ago. I can't remember seeing any silvery stuff, but don't know that I could remember that long ago even if I was looking for silver stuff. Is there any way to tell on either of these without looking for silver stuff? Something like putting them in 4-hi and twisting them to see if they slip in my hand or something simple?

Any advice would be a grerat help.

Thanks, Shortfat300
    ShortFat300
  • shortfat300
    232 I6
    • Aug 21, 2006

Anyone? Anyone at all?
    ShortFat300

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

Block the wheels. Trans in neutral and tcase in 4H. Raise one wheel and put a torque wrench on one of the lug nuts. Use the wrench to turn the wheel. If it takes at least 45 ft-lbs your ok. If it takes less than that you'll have to take the tcase apart and do a torque bias test on the bench.
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Elliott
        Cowboy Up
        • Jun 22, 2002

Bench torque bias test, is that in the manual sir? I've got a 229 here I'd like to check out before I offer it for sale.
        *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
        ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• shortfat300
          232 I6
          • Aug 21, 2006

Both of mine are on the floor. What is the "torque bias" test? Can that be performed by the average Joe (tightwad) like me?

And while I'm at it, is there a good gasket to use between the tailshaft and the TC? Both of mine just had silicone between them without a gasket. IS that pretty standard fare when putting them back together? If so, what type silicone? One had RTV Blue and the other was white...

Thanks
          ShortFat300

Comment

• joe
            • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by Elliott
            Bench torque bias test, is that in the manual sir? I've got a 229 here I'd like to check out before I offer it for sale.
            Yeah Elliott it's in the 83 TSM and should be in the later ones too. If you don't have access to it I'll see if my scanner is playing nice (it's moody) and send ya a .jpg of the page. I'm way too bad/slow of a typist to type it plus the pic in the write-up is prolly worth having.
            Lemme know if ya want it.
            joe

Comment

• Elliott
              Cowboy Up
              • Jun 22, 2002

That'd be great Joe, sent you an email. I'll post links to the pics when/if your scanner pulls through for us.
              *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
              ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• joe
                • Apr 28, 2000

My scanner cooperated so it should be in your mail box.
                joe

Comment

• Elliott
                  Cowboy Up
                  • Jun 22, 2002

Thank you very much Joe, here's the link guys: http://www.fullsizejeeps.com/gallery...8Custom%29.jpg

Comment

• scantar
                    AMC 4 OH! 1
                    • Jul 16, 2005

Thanks Joe for digging that up and Elliott for posting it here!
                    '76 Waggy, TH400, Quadratrac and a fourOH!one Sold

My other car is a Viner Pro Team...no wait, my other car is a Masi Speciale...nonono, my other car is a Bianchi 928SL

Comment

• shortfat300
                      232 I6
                      • Aug 21, 2006

Thanks for the link. That will help.
                      ShortFat300

Comment

• shortfat300
                        232 I6
                        • Aug 21, 2006

Looks like both of my NP229's are toast . One has no resistance and the other only about 12# when I do the bench torque bias test. I saw a thread about a "$10 NP229 Fix" and have done several searches for it with no luck (search keeps thowing out $10 and Fix from the search). I know it was something about drilling and pinning the VC to make the NP229 into a part time unit. Does anyone remember the thread on how to do this? I'm putting my Wagon back together with as little cost as possible to keep the little woman happy. A $10.00 fix would work great for now until I can find a good NP208 and save the $$ for the rear drive shaft length upgrade.

Thanks for any help.
                        ShortFat300

Comment

• mark32725
                          232 I6
                          • Nov 18, 2002

The Np 229 is a part time case ???? and even if the VC is toast, wouldnt it just act like a np 228 ?? You would still have full lock in low, but high would have a open differential between the front and real axle.....the VC just acts like a posi between front and rear I thought...

But as far as part time when you put it in 2wd it does not spin the front output at all.....
                          84 Grand Wagoneer, 440/727/205, trimmed fenders, altered wheelbase, Dana 60HP Front, Dana 70 Rear, 37" Boggers, and Hydraulic winch

Comment

• flatbackdragon
                            304 AMC
                            • Aug 22, 2003

a very short quick chk to the tech archives under drivetrain brings up this

My viscous coupling was shot so on recommendation from my friend, who owns Texas Auto Gear, I pinned the coupler clutches. The hardest part is getting the t-case on the floor jack while laying under the truck. -Remove t-case,rear output yoke, rear retainer, rear half of case. -Slowly remove rear output shaft and retrieve the
                            "There's an inner idiot in us just waiting to climb out and romp about in unabashed stupidity, but most people retain just enough wit to keep the idiot bottled up."
                            Gary Harmon-writer for Grand Junction Daily Sentinel (newspaper)

Phil (or Flip, Dragon)
                            Draco-79 Cherokee 360/QT-4" lift-pretty much stock and trying to fall apart

Comment

• GWChris
                              304 AMC
                              • Jan 22, 2005

I guess it all depends on what you want to use it for - an NP229 with a toast VC is an NP228.

The TC in my '82 had an open diff, and it worked pretty well on-road.

Comment

Working...
                              X