• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JP
    Where horseshoes are not a game
    • Dec 12, 2012

83 Cherokee Restoration starts now!

Hello to everyone hear on the boards. Ive been reading for a while now and Im honestly excited to be able to post this thread and hopefully share this process with you folks.

This is my new 83 Cherokee , cost me $2500bucks drove it 3 hours home at 65mph.... and thats about all I know. LOL

So to begin this process i am calling on all of you to help me with the what, who, and where's of the Jeep.

I know its Maroon, (i believe its the original color)
    I know it has a 258 L6 and a 5 speed manual trans. (Personlly, I think this is a freak'n awesome combo!)
    I know it was Nutmeg interior originally and is now a painted grey nutmeg interior with what appears to be two beautifully comfy waggy seats

It runs and drives like a champ, starts instantly, stops good, and steers like my dads old boat. Got a flowmaster to!, score.

For a Florida Truck this thing is kinda great on the rust issues. Normally, floor pans, rockers, fenders, and anything metal are gone in a 30 year old truck , but this thing is almost clean....One small hole in the passenger floor board, which will be very simple to repair and the unfortunate worst issue it has is some rusting of the upper windshield piller joints. AHHH!!!!

So as I said, I am now calling on you all to help me with the rest. Ive restored a VW bus, a 69 Chevey Pickup and an 51 ford truck, but this is my first Jeep of anykind. (except for my college roommates wagoneer that i barrowed constantly and that is directly responsible for planting the FSJ seed in my brain, thanks Conor, )

Questions :
    What axels/and diff's do I have and how can I find out?
    What kind of ignition does this look like? It looks like a GMC but does that cross over?
    Carb?
    Looks like its lifted a lil bit?
    What the hell do I do to fix the rusted corner pillers?
    What model Cherokee do we think it is? Looks W/T to me but ?

Anyway, Im going to post some pictures and I will photo document all the repairs and installations and post them as I accomplish them. Plans are to clean it up, paint it blue, replace all the seals, polish or replace the trim, and replace the original nutmeg interior.

THANK YOU! for your input and any suggestions you may have

Jonathan P
    Last edited by JP; 12-30-2012, 04:53 PM.
    THIS RESTORATION WILL BE THE MOST DIFFICULT AND EXPENSIVE THING I HAVE EVER ATTEMPTED TO ACCOMPLISH HONEY, I SWEAR!!!

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

83 Cherokee
    resto thread:
    http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=162358
  • Ristow
    • Jan 20, 2006

dana 44 front.

amc 20 rear.

HEI ignition. (aftermarket).

motorcraft 2100 carb. (keeper).
    Originally posted by Hankrod
    Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
    ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
    I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• svining
      350 Buick
      • May 16, 2011

That was somebodies Baby!!

I would say you got your monies worth. Don't go out on rainy days till that roof rot is addressed. I believe that will be a pain to repair. But do-able! Thankfully, its two tone so you can just get the roof repaired and painted.

You should enjoy driving it as you will get decent milage with the 6 cylinder. Looks like 31-32 inch tires so you have at least a 4 inch lift and prolly 6"

Originally posted by Ristow
      dana 44 front.

amc 20 rear.

HEI ignition. (aftermarket).

motorcraft 2100 carb. (keeper).
      Flashlight
      "I started with nothing, I still got most of it left"
      1982 GW,Stock, No Emissions Equip.
      Mallory HEI, AMC 360, Motorcraft 2150

Comment

• nc wagoneer
        350 Buick
        • May 08, 2012

It is also a 258 ci 4.2 liter AMC straight six with the dreaded t5 trans. That trans is weak even behind the 6 it can be destroyed. An nv3500 out of an xj Cherokee is swappable as is the ax15 and nv4500. In other words, it is good for mileage but if something along the lines of a costly repair occur its better to swap it out for something else And yes, its a w/t because of the large wheel flares.
        old blue-79 jeep wagoneer 360 Quadra Trac (soon to be for sale )
        Name TBA: 77 j20 D60/d44 360/t15 with flatbed (new toy)
        "BROWED AND PROUD"
        Originally posted by fulsizjeep
        Truth is FSJs are crack on wheels. One taste and you are addicted. Then you just want more. Anyone who does not see this is in denial.

Comment

• JeepBountyHunter
          GrimJeeperReaper
          • Jul 08, 2002

First off you got what you paid for. As for the nature of some of those repairs, we'll never know what the PO's were thinking, but....this rig is an excellent starting point.

Best wishes on the restoration, I'd drive it a bit first.
          1992 Cherokee XJ Laredo

Comment

• JP
            • Dec 12, 2012

32 inch tires

Its got 32's currently. Im not in a rush but am I correct that 33' are more availible and affordable and will fit fine on the stock wheels?

Thanks for the info...

Roof rust repair might be easier to just cut the windshield frame off another rig and just replace the whole thing. I had to repair something similar to this on my VW BUs and its was an absolute nightmare getting things lined back up. Guess Ill find out when I take the trim off and see how bad it actuall is. But...untill then, Yes , Im registering it JAN 2, 2013 as it will be 30 years old and will meet the Florida Antique vehicle requirements for taxes, title and insurance rate reduction. then Im gonna drive it while I do what I can to prepare for the motor and body work down time.
            Last edited by JP; 02-03-2013, 06:15 PM.
            THIS RESTORATION WILL BE THE MOST DIFFICULT AND EXPENSIVE THING I HAVE EVER ATTEMPTED TO ACCOMPLISH HONEY, I SWEAR!!!

83 Cherokee
            resto thread:

Comment

• lycanthrope
              258 I6
              • Mar 26, 2007

looks like it was a laredo model--door pulls, power windows and door locks. a/c compressor bracket is there, but the rest is missing.
              tommy
              '83 j10 pioneer 258/t5/208...gone
              '81 j10 sportside 258/t176/208
              '76 j10 shortbed 360/th400/QT
              '81 j10 sportside 258/tf999/208
              '74 j10 shortbed ...gone

Comment

• JP
                • Dec 12, 2012

Ad comp

It came with a storage tote full of all the stuff the previous owner removed and the original dash cluster did have ac controls. it also had power mirrors at some point before the three points were added.

Matter of fact, I guess I'm going to have to find some way to get my heater hooked back up. Not exactly cold in Florida but considering I'm going to use it to go camping and I camp mostly in winter that just might be an issue.

Original gauge cluster or simple on off under dash switch? Hmmm.

83 Cherokee
                resto thread:

Comment

• WHSII
                  Hack-Priss
                  • Feb 06, 2010

Nice starter project!
                  WH

Dad's J10, Honcho, 1980 Sport Side
                  Build http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=118144

https://picasaweb.google.com/113072766039246994279/JeepJ10Honcho

Herbina 1987 Grand Wagoneer

Founding Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• pyro
                    258 I6
                    • Sep 15, 2012

welcome...I'm in the Tampa area if you ever need any help.
                    '81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
                    '82 Cherokee 258/TF904

FSJNetwork Florida FSJ's Click Here!!!

Comment

• jeffs396
                      232 I6
                      • Feb 09, 2009

Welcome Jonathan!
                      Nice project you've got there!
                      Jeff S.

Current 1:1 Jeep(s):

1974 J20...original 401, NP205, TH400, D60, HD44

Lots and lots of scale Jeeps

Comment

• draider
                        230 Tornado
                        • Nov 13, 2012

You may learn a little more about it by watching the POs YouTube videos -

I've just started to pinstripe and so I know this stuff isn't perfect but I'm just having fun practicing. These old Jeeps aren't perfect anyways so there goo...

This is a quick video showing the custom dash panel I made for my 1983 Jeep Cherokee. It's just a piece of plywood with holes cut for the gauges and things. ...

This is a video talking about my 1983 Jeep Cherokee. I bought it last year and have done a number on things to it. It's got the 258 I6 engine and a 5 speed s...

This is an update on my 1983 Jeep Cherokee. I've painted the gray areas that I wanted and set the back seat in. I've also put the roof rack back on. I think ...

This is just a video showing off some of my pinstriping endeavors. Some are better than others and all could be better but I like them and I enjoy striping o...

Comment

• JP
                          • Dec 12, 2012

pinstriped to death.

Thanks, I actually watched these before I bought the jeep. His pinstriping is actually pretty nice. Its been done just about everywhere it could be but they are still kinda cool. Im personaly not a flames guy, but im considering keeping the scallops design in the repaint plan. My only "dag" issue is that he painted the interior with rustolium as well. Vynle , metal, leather ,you name it. It's covered in it. Even the steering wheel ; )
                          I should have paid closer attention though, because I would have noticed that the rear window and door have no seals or trim.....

Gonna post a plan of attack soon. Already got some of the interior and possibly a new rear door/window , but as clean as she looks this things hiding some secrets .
                          Last edited by JP; 12-26-2012, 02:14 PM.

83 Cherokee
                          resto thread:

Comment

• JP
                            • Dec 12, 2012

Cherokee Checklist

So I have complied a checklist/outline for the restoration process. For once the project doesnt need any major mechanical issues fixed first before I can start on the main body of the project list.

Below is the rough to do list. I will try to mark completed or aquired items as I accomplish and or obtain them, and will post pics when I do,

Cherokee Checklist:

Exterior/Body –
                            1. Remove Rear door/tailgate rust in lower driver side corner. (decided to buy a replacement as the current door is already a mix of rust and fiberglass)
                            2. Passenger floor panel rust repair
                            3. Hole in Cargo area floor /center by tail gate
                            4. Fabricate cover for fuel tank access panel under rear seat (completed)
                            5. Locate/acquire emblems and decals
                            6. Roof rack completion ( missing 2 horizontal support cross rails) (completed)
                            7. Window Pillar rust repair
                            8. Both driver and passenger vent window frames are rusting (replacements fell through...still looking)
                            9. Remove and Polish trim/replace any beyond repair
                            10. Remove and Polish bumpers
                            11. Remove grill and front end accessories/polish
                            12. Buy a Complete seal kit for all doors and windows
                            13. Sand and prep for paint…. (sorry pin striping, but goodbye flames)
                            14. Paint – full exterior and interior
                            Interior –
                            1. Strip it!
                            a. Seats out/ carpet out
                            b. Remove the Grey Paint from everywhere ( P.O., why? : / )
                            c. Panels off
                            d. Vacuum and clean/degrease

2. Locate –
                            A. Original Nutmeg interior
                            1. Driver and passenger seats (located and aquired )
                            2. Rear seat
                            3. Door panels (located and aquired)
                            4. Door arm rest and arm rest for rear passenger area (located and aquired)
                            5. Door pulls (loacted and aquired)
                            6. Passenger dash pull (repaired original)
                            7. Visors and fasteners ( located and aquired) Thanks rocklaurence! (need plastic covers!!!!)
                            8. Nutmeg Headliner trim (located and aquired)
                            9. Nutmeg Seat belts ( located and Aquired!)
                            10. Replacement nutmeg carpet set (Full , need to order )
                            11. Steering wheel
                            12. Headliner fabric
                            B. Original style gauge cluster (located and aquired)
                            C. Power window trim plates driver and passenger (located and aquired)
                            D. Interior cargo chrome strips (located and aquired)
                            E. Interior rear door chrome strips (located and aquired)
                            F. Interior accessories
                            1. Chrome bezels
                            2. Clock insert (located and aquired)
                            3. Overhead light/ installation
                            4. Ash trays for rear passenger area (located and aquired)
                            G. Door speakers/installation (aquired and installed)
                            H. Rear speaker up grade/ installation

Mechanical –
                            1. Fuel smell when accelerating (posting thread for HELP 12/26/12), (FIXED! posted results below in thread somewhere)

2. Exhaust - repair section immediately before, including ,and after the cat. (possibly just re run entire system)(repaired, but will be re-running the system when the motor is pulled for refurb)

3. Rear window – goes up slowly and sometimes needs help - power drain, simple grease issue , rear door switch?(fixed by replacing the door)

4. Address mechanical seals bumper to bumper (LOW PRIORITY nothing is leaking very badly)

5. Steering is loose so eventual front end re-furb needed

6. The unknown devil hiding and waiting for me to try and take a long trip...

7. Fuel sender unit replacement/ vent grommet seals (finished 2/3/13)

8. Additonal projects expected and unexpected....

1. Carburetor replacement ; ( (removed and awaiting return from rebuild shop) (completed)
                            2. Engine bay Clean up (completed)
                            Last edited by JP; 03-06-2013, 08:14 PM.

83 Cherokee
                            resto thread:

Comment

• JP
                              • Dec 12, 2012

Fuel leak trouble shoot thread link

Quick link to the discusion on my fuel leak/ smell issues.

ok, so I have a very strong unburned fuel smell coming from somewhere on the cherokee. Its present all the time and I can smell a mild fuel odor inside the cab even when Its just sitting parked. The main blast of the fumes comes when accelerating. No matter which gear but if you are applying the accelerator it starts smelling

83 Cherokee
                              resto thread:

Comment

Working...
                              X