• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brad W.
    360 AMC
    • Jan 09, 2003

time to admit defeat...

well, it seems the cosmos conspires against me yet again, lol. I've got a lot happening right now, and money is tight (i'm sure many of you know how it is)...

As much as I used to love working on cars, I have become incredibly frustrated with my "collection". So as of this moment, I have to make a plan to make the "collection" go away, lol. I posted this in off-road chat because this is the only board I ever really read anyway, and you guys know me better than the other areas. I will be checking in from time to time, but I won't be following the board as regularly. Don't worry, I won't disappear completely.

I don't mean to whine, I'm just discouraged and need some confirmation of what I should do with this crap, because I cant keep it all, there just isnt a way. I will be keeping the 1979 wagoneer (it was my grandfathers) and my dodge, my tools of course, and thats pretty much it. I will be putting the wagoneer back together with the one-tons and chevy drivetrain, but then I am completely done with redoing cars for now. I may build a hot-rod some day, time will tell. I will post a write-up this summer when the jeep is put back together.

This has been a long time comming... I stripped the wagoneer on 36's many of you knew as "Jennie" this past fall. I actually was happy to see it go off to be melted into new hondas. It was a cool rig, but had been a major PITA for so long it just felt good to be rid of it. I've never had that feeling before with a car, and I realized my heart just wasn't in this hobby anymore.

Spring break for me is in about a week, so I'm planning to strip the remaining chevy one-ton I have and put everything in my stash, both chevy and jeep, up on the for sale board here, and at colorado 4x4. If you need any 73-87 chey parts, let me know. The cab needs rockers/corners, and the doors are trashed, so it'll probably go to scrap. The bed is going on my scrap trailer frame because that bed is really rusty. I will glady ship small stuff like the glovebox, door locks, gauge cluster, hood hinges, etc etc. let me know if you need anything specific, go ahead and post if you do.

SO, thanks for letting me vent. I will be around occasionally and feel free to PM me if you need any of those wonderful useless factoids I know. Watch for my parts lists to pop up in the comming weeks as I start whittling away at the 2 garages full of parts.

And just for the record, i'm not mad at any members here or anything, I'm just sick of automobiles. You all have been like an extended family to me for many years now, and it means alot to me. Happy Trails, and Safe Wheeling!
    Brad W.
    1979 wag "Nightmare"
    **project shelved indefinetly**

m715 ex-firetruck
    **project shelved**

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 "Project Juggernaut"
    24v-CTD/NV-4500/quad-cab/4x4
    4" straightpipe, rollin on beadlocked 37's.
    Big as a freight train, as loud as one too.
  • bigun
    • Feb 10, 2003

Bummer!!
    charlie
    KB0HXA
    "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

Originally posted by Gambler68
    congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
    How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
    Robert A. Heinlein
    The birth of CROM is recorded here
    http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• BRUTUS
      360 AMC
      • Dec 06, 2005

That sux man. We still haven't gone wheelin together!

Have you considered just "thinning" the herd instead of eliminating it? Knock the pile down to a manageable level so you can see the light at the end of the tunnel again? This is the exact reason that I have recently had the intestional fortitude to resist purchasing more FSJ's.

Best of luck to you Brad... keep in touch and maybe you can ride along on a trial run with some CFSJA guys sometime.
      "Brutus" '74 J10 360/T18/D20/Front D60 Pro Rock & ARB/2" shave, ARB, 15 bolt FF Rear/ 4.56 Gears/38.5 x 16 TSL
      Current Jeep Status:Under The Knife
      Current Homepage Status: RUNNING

Comment

• Brad W.
        360 AMC
        • Jan 09, 2003

I've already tried to thin the herd. I cant get people to actually buy those m715's. people keep "falling off the earth" when its time to pay. what else is new...

I swear it though, they WILL go away this summer, come hell or high water. I dont care if they go whole, in pieces, or what, but they are going away. I just cant afford them right now. I have alot of things I need to pay off, like my dodge, and the $3k I owe my aunt, so yeah... they have to go away.

I think I'm going to pull all the neat stuff off the trashed one and part it out. It's an original hi-amp rectifier truck (radio crap I guess, I dont understand it) and it has an original heater, so it has lots of stuff worth keeping. I'll probably put all that on the nice truck and sell it all togther so someone can restore it to a field radio truck. I might have to put it on ebay to get the exposure needed. I just don't want to deal with it anymore.

dont worry Brutus, i'm still gonna finish the waggy, i'll bring it wheeling in Colorado!
        Last edited by Brad W.; 03-06-2007, 03:38 PM.
        Brad W.
        1979 wag "Nightmare"

m715 ex-firetruck
        **project shelved**

Comment

• Heep80
          258 I6
          • Apr 27, 2006

Sorry to hear that.
          I'm in cheyenne, and would be interested to come check out the fleet and see if there is anything I might need.
          80 J-10 with 3in RC lift,1 in. shackles, buckshot M/T 33's. dual glasspack exhaust,eldobrock intake/carb/valve covers/aircleaner k&n, autometer tach, spare tire mount w/ fullsize spare,tool box, 40gal spare tank, grant steering wheel, rhino grill,DPA (Not installed Doug T's Headers, Hi lift jack, cobra cb,tie rods, & dual timing chain

Comment

• motox-010
            350 Buick
            • Dec 13, 2006

I live in Spearfish, SD, and I think I know a few people who might be interested in the M715's. Are there any pics?
            -->Sawyer

-> '00 Splaturn LS2

Comment

Brad you puss! Sack up man. I don't think your heart isn't in it. I think you're fed up with wrenching all the time like me and getting frustrated. If you can't enjoy it, it's not worth it. I've thought at least 4 times about cutting mine up and selling it off. Just put it down and walk away for awhile. I think the bug will hit you again. Just give it and yourself some time off.
              Places to Wheel in the Southeast

Originally posted by Topgun2mo
              I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
              Originally posted by johnny019
              I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.

Comment

• shimniok
                360 AMC
                • Jan 08, 2003

Sometimes it's good to simplify and get focused.

Anyone want to focus on reassembling portions of a Datsun roadster?

Michael
                Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
                1986 Grand Wagoneer "Troubled Child" ? tc.wagoneer.org ? Facebook ? KØFSJ
                Stock 360, TBI, 727 with TransGo, NP208, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MT, WT Axles, Lock Right & ARB, OBA

Comment

• FSJ Guy
                  • Mar 20, 2005

Time to refocus, Brad! Focus on the 715s! <g>

I hope you change your mind, but you need to do what's best for you.

If you part out the 715s, I might be convinced to take some small parts off of you like shackles,drums, axle shafts, cab bows, etc.
                  Ethan Brady
                  1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• BassnTruck
                    258 I6
                    • Oct 23, 2006

I know how you feel. I have thinned my collection before when I go sick of it. I really miss some of them now. I have 4 projects I have been tinkering with on and off over the last 6 years. I have just gathered up the needed strength to work on them again and I am excited about it all over again and can't wait to start. Sometimes you just have to step back and wait it out. Might be a month might be 10 years. But again at some point you will be like a kid in a free candy store.

Comment

• Gambler68
                      Rabble Rouser
                      • Feb 29, 2004

that's what back fields are for. Stick em there and growl at anyone dumb enough to ask about the 'jeeps out back'
                      1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
                      1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
                      The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
                      Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• janie
                        • Aug 11, 2001

Brad, I think most here, myself included have been in your shoes. Sometimes ya just gotta cut your losses and move on. But, once you've been bit by the FSJeep bug, it never completely goes away.

Take care and stay in touch.
                        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. Faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Comment

• Ralph Rogers
                          350 Buick
                          • Jul 29, 2003

So, what's this about a Datsun Roadster??

Ralph

Comment

• BRUTUS
                            360 AMC
                            • Dec 06, 2005

Originally posted by Ralph Rogers
                            So, what's this about a Datsun Roadster??

Ralph
                            That is Shiminiok's closet project sitting in the garage. Apparently he bought it about 5 years ago, moved it to his garage and hasn't touched it since.
                            "Brutus" '74 J10 360/T18/D20/Front D60 Pro Rock & ARB/2" shave, ARB, 15 bolt FF Rear/ 4.56 Gears/38.5 x 16 TSL
                            Current Jeep Status:Under The Knife
                            Current Homepage Status: RUNNING

Comment

• Brad W.
                              360 AMC
                              • Jan 09, 2003

Originally posted by BRUTUS
                              That is Shiminiok's closet project sitting in the garage. Apparently he bought it about 5 years ago, moved it to his garage and hasn't touched it since.
                              That's the story of my life, lol.

I am planning to keep the one wagoneer, so I cant say i'm free of this jeeping sickness.

I just can't deal with the extra 4 and a trailer. The city does not like them on the street, the neighbors have basically given up whining about it, it got them nowhere, but the city can (and has previously threatened to) fine me. They have backed off for now, but I'm sure I'm on the long-term :o:o:o:o list.

It's ok though, I think this plan will work well. The chevy will die, the good army truck will get fixed up and sold to cover their original expense. The wagoneer will live again, and the garage will be empty for the first time in close to 6 years. It will be great if/when it actually gets done.

Not to mention, my family has had quite enough of these cars sitting around. They aren't gearheads like me, and I can't quite blame them for being upset about having to fight for space with cars and car parts.

On the bright side, and least I dont have EGR pumps falling through my ceiling!
                              Brad W.
                              1979 wag "Nightmare"

m715 ex-firetruck
                              **project shelved**

Comment

Working...
                              X