• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thecountmc
    230 Tornado
    • Sep 09, 2003

NO FUEL ....Bad fuel pump gear?

I was driving my 84 J10 with 360 and it just died 45 miles away from home no sputter just driving at 60 mph and the engine shut down. it would turn over, tried to fire once and then cranked the battery down and had had to call AAA.

I'd just upgraded the the distributor to the newer Ford and though maybe I overtaxed the old ignition so replace the ignition box and went through various trouble shooting and found no fuel to be the culprit. If I dump gas in the carb it tries to fire. I pulled the line before the filter and nothing bone dry, I dumped mpre gas in the tank and nothing, I replaced the fuel pump with a new on and still no go everything bone dry, ok fine I decided to bypass the tank and lines and I ran the new fuel pump line into a 1 gallon can of gas instead of the tank and nothing comes out... everything still bone dry even with a free line and no filter.. out of frustration/desperation.. I ran over to NAPA and bought a cheapo electric fuel pump and now it fires right up and seems to drive ok...

however beeing a bit of old school Keep it simply stupid, Im not sure I trust and electric fuel pump especially the cheapest one, and I want to fix it right.. so now Im a bit perplexed what the issue is? if the issue was the tank, line sender, or sleeve, etc.. then shouldn't I have gotten something out of the new fuel pump ran directly into a gas can? at least som gas spilling out?.. I know its not a good air seal but shouldn't the new fuel pump pull gas out of a gallon of gas? what are the odds the second fuel pump doesnt work too? could I have bolted it in wrong missing the gear?? did the fuel pump gear on the cam wear? break off? it all seems a bit of a stretch.. but at this point it doent look like I have much choice but to pull the tank, pull the front cover and replace everything. even if the electric fuel pump works now, no guareentee whatever problem its temporarily by passing won't get worse and if the gear did break now I got metal floating around in a previously good motor... anybody have a similar issues with the 360?
  • tkiller13
    304 AMC
    • Jun 17, 2005

When you had the fuel line in the gallon of gas, you were just trying to crank the motor over? Try dumping some gas down the carb then fire the jeep up. See if this gets the fuel pump working.

Comment

• babywag
      out of order
      • Jun 08, 2005

Mechanical fuel pumps are pretty weak, and it can take a while to prime them.

Maybe use the electric pump to try and prime it...

Just replaced all lines and gas tank in a '79 Cherokee, and it took forever to prime the fuel pump.
      Tony
      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• dadof3byz07
        232 I6
        • Aug 14, 2009

My J20 has a similiar fuel problem.It will run on a gallon jug,but not the tank.I'm gonna redo the whole system.It did take forever to prime the pump to even work in the jug though.I would agree with the above idea of using the electric pump to prime the new mechanical one.
        Just laid back and chillin'

Mark Long Xenia,Ohio

Comment

• thecountmc
          230 Tornado
          • Sep 09, 2003

priming

ok I'll try that, the electric fuel pump should have it primed now, I guess I can switch over easy enough from the electic. reading other forums about this I may have crack fuel lines or a host of other vapor lock issues I'll want to fix to to be sure ..btw anybody know what drives the fuel pump arm? is there a cam on the end of the timing gear like on chrysler engines ? or something else that drives it? It was a real pain to get the new fuel pump in vs the old pump, it didnt want to got in straight, had to bend and twist and hold to bolt up I am wondering it I do have something messed up in there as well

Comment

• tkiller13
            304 AMC
            • Jun 17, 2005

When installing a fuel pump on an amc.. I do this.
            First I do a dry fit. No gasket
            If the fuel pump does not go right into place without force or using the bolts to draw it in. Do not force, pry or try using the bolts to draw the fuel pump flush.

Turn the motor over slightly with a 3/4" socket and breaker bar. Then try installing the fuel pump. This might take several tries.
            Once the fuel pump slides into place and is flush against the timing cover install the gasket and torque the bolts down.

Comment

Working...
            X