Waggy tow package, factory trailer brake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dumpy
    304 AMC
    • Jan 30, 2009

There wasn't a hydraulic line, just wires. It's definitely the cruise module. I just pulled it off.
    Justin
    '72 J2000 360 4bbl T18 D20
    "It's all about the fun-per-gallon vs the miles-per-gallon"--Gamber68

Sponsored by Jake's Full-Size Jeep Junkyard

Comment

• crispyboy
      304 AMC
      • May 14, 2002

Wagoneers and j10's had a 5k tow capacity on bumper pull trailers. A j20 was 7.6k on 5th wheel. This is what I remember from an old brochure and owners manual. 750 lbs max tongue weight and you will need a weight distribution hitch for heavy loads.
      Steve<br />1986 J-20 360 cid/auto, trac-loc, custom efis tbi, flowkooler, aluminum cross flow radiator, rhino-liner, working AC. <br />1990 GW trac-loc, Engle cam and aluminum cross flow radiator.
      <br /><br />\"The best Jeeps came from the past when gay meant you were happy and Aids was an appetite suppressant"

Comment

• fulsizjeep
        Señor Jackhead
        • Aug 21, 2002

Originally posted by grand_wag_85
        What about that box inside the cab under the dash with the hydraulic brake line running to it? My '76 Wagoneer and '82 J10 #1 both had them
        ...as I said...
        Flint
        Ran when parked.
        http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
        88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
        76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
        http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• grand_wag_85
          Murphy's Law Poster Child
          • Dec 03, 2003

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
          ...as I said...
          I'm guessing dealer installed
          You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
          '88 GW
          '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• Dumpy
            304 AMC
            • Jan 30, 2009

Must have been. You can see on mine where the factory duct tape has been removed
            Last edited by Dumpy; 11-10-2011, 09:19 AM.
            Justin
            '72 J2000 360 4bbl T18 D20
            "It's all about the fun-per-gallon vs the miles-per-gallon"--Gamber68

Sponsored by Jake's Full-Size Jeep Junkyard

Comment

• grand_wag_85
              • Dec 03, 2003

Originally posted by Dumpy
              Must have been. You can see on mine where the factory duct tape has been removed
              IIRC there was an AMC part number for that duct tape

'82 J10
              '88 GW
              '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• joe
                • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by grand_wag_85
                What about that box inside the cab under the dash with the hydraulic brake line running to it? My '76 Wagoneer and '82 J10 #1 both had them
                I'm not real smart but that sounds home brew. You saying you've got a hyd brake line capped off at the bumper? Even if a lash up like that worked seems like a whole lotta brake bleeding time every time you hooked up the trailer. Only trailer brake controllers I've ever had in other rigs were for electric trailer brakes.
                joe
                "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• grand_wag_85
                  • Dec 03, 2003

Originally posted by joe
                  I'm not real smart but that sounds home brew. You saying you've got a hyd brake line capped off at the bumper? Even if a lash up like that worked seems like a whole lotta brake bleeding time every time you hooked up the trailer. Only trailer brake controllers I've ever had in other rigs were for electric trailer brakes.
                  Not quite. The two Jeeps I was referring to had a primitive brake controller under the dash on the left side, I thought that's what the OP was referring to. Instead of an electric signal from the brakes it uses a brake line tee'd from the master cylinder to the controller. The controller then sent an electric signal to the trailer brakes. I don't think I've got any pictures but will check.

</hijack>

'82 J10
                  '88 GW
                  '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• crispyboy
                    304 AMC
                    • May 14, 2002

Your probably thinking of the old Kelsey Hayes trailer brake controllers from the 1960's. They worked great! They won't work with modern vehicles with abs brake systems because they displaced too much fluid.

Kelsey Hayes 6Volt -12Volt electric/hydraulic brake controller Now and again questions come up about these old units. Will they stop a trailer, are th

The modern day version is the Maxbrake which is supposed to be the cats meow of trailer brake controllers.

Time based and pendulum controllers are junk. Proportional brake controllers such as the Prodigy P3 are middle of the road and do an ok job.
                    Steve<br />1986 J-20 360 cid/auto, trac-loc, custom efis tbi, flowkooler, aluminum cross flow radiator, rhino-liner, working AC. <br />1990 GW trac-loc, Engle cam and aluminum cross flow radiator.
                    <br /><br />\"The best Jeeps came from the past when gay meant you were happy and Aids was an appetite suppressant"

Comment

Working...
                    X