X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • azmtn04
    232 I6
    • Aug 18, 2015

My .02 is same color with a wide say 5" cream white stripe with a 1 1/2" stripe below it about the height of the door handle.
    1981 Cherokee Chief S

Comment

• Fort Wayne Frank
      230 Tornado
      • Oct 29, 2015

Originally posted by Auburnmark
      Love that color on these rigs!
      I agree, great looking truck! I have a "tawny orange" 77 J10 that needs some, where did you get the paint? Thanks.

Comment

• Auburnmark
        232 I6
        • Jan 03, 2015

Originally posted by azmtn04
        My .02 is same color with a wide say 5" cream white stripe with a 1 1/2" stripe below it about the height of the door handle.
        That sounds like a nice color combo... throw up a pic if you can
        Mark

Stock '77 J10 Pioneer LWB
        360 V8, 2bl (49 state)
        T-18 4 speed
        Dana 44's
        31x10.50x15

Comment

• Auburnmark
          232 I6
          • Jan 03, 2015

Originally posted by Fort Wayne Frank
          I agree, great looking truck! I have a "tawny orange" 77 J10 that needs some, where did you get the paint? Thanks.
          Thanks Frank. I haven't actually bought any paint yet other that the red primer I used to seal up where the wood decals were. That's the original Tawny Orange on there just cleaned up a little. I did come across this web site the other day.

Maybe someone on here has dealt with them and can chime in as to how their experience was.
          Mark

360 V8, 2bl (49 state)
          T-18 4 speed
          Dana 44's
          31x10.50x15

Comment

• Auburnmark
            232 I6
            • Jan 03, 2015

Finally able to get back to the project! Decided on new original style radiator. Also installed new battery, all new vacuum lines and hoses, distributor cap and wires, new used 31x10.50 tires the neighbor had for sale, and I rebuilt the carb with a kit from Mikes Carburetors.
            Seems to run real well. Time for moment of truth. Have appointment at smog shop tomorrow . Wish me luck!

Mark

360 V8, 2bl (49 state)
            T-18 4 speed
            Dana 44's
            31x10.50x15

Comment

• KilroyJC
              232 I6
              • Feb 08, 2016

Good luck!!!! Can't you get antique plates and avoid the smog check?
              1963 1414 Armstrong Power Steering & Windows, no radio/reverse lights/hazards/seatbelts

1993 Chevy Caprice Wagon -1971 Honda CL175 - 1978 Honda CX500 - Bobcat 610

Gone but not forgotten:
              1975 Chevy Impala Sport Coupe; 1933 Chrysler CQ coupe; 1970 AMC Ambassador Wagon; 1985 Chevy Caprice Wagon; 1975 Starcraft Holiday18 w/1976 Evinrude 70hp

Comment

• tgomes1987
                232 I6
                • Nov 12, 2008

Originally posted by KilroyJC
                Good luck!!!! Can't you get antique plates and avoid the smog check?
                HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA you must have never lived in California. Calling the DMV here draconian is putting it mildly. You can only avoid the smog check here if your vehicle is '75 model year or older. It used to be a rolling 30 year exemption but that went away when Arnold S. was in office.

Also, getting the historic vehicle plates (that's what CA DMV calls them), is a huge pain and then you are restricted on what you can use the vehicle for. Parades, historic vehicle clubs rallies, etc. Not as a daily driver. If I am remembering this correctly they have a limit on how many miles you are supposed to drive it per year.

I tried to get my truck registered as historical vehicle and after many trips to the DMV I gave up because I found out you still have to pay the normal vehicle registration fees with a truck PLUS the historic vehicle plate fee. This is because every truck in CA is considered a commercial vehicle so you have to pay an additional fee based on the GVWR. Basically another way to get more money out of you even if you do not use your truck for work or ever haul anything in the bed.

Rant off! I wish you luck at the smog shop!

Comment

• Auburnmark
                  232 I6
                  • Jan 03, 2015

Thanks KilroyJC...
                  Amen to that tgomes! Draconian says it all. I'm all for clean air but stupid is just stupid. Ah well... at least out here we don't have to put up with everything but the tires rusting into oblivion! My neighbor tells me the rolling 30 year thing is being considered again cuz all the smog shops are complaining about having to test these old relics. Ehh.. Not gonna hold my breath for that one.
                  Mark

360 V8, 2bl (49 state)
                  T-18 4 speed
                  Dana 44's
                  31x10.50x15

Comment

• tgomes1987
                    232 I6
                    • Nov 12, 2008

Originally posted by Auburnmark
                    Thanks KilroyJC...
                    Amen to that tgomes! Draconian says it all. I'm all for clean air but stupid is just stupid. Ah well... at least out here we don't have to put up with everything but the tires rusting into oblivion! My neighbor tells me the rolling 30 year thing is being considered again cuz all the smog shops are complaining about having to test these old relics. Ehh.. Not gonna hold my breath for that one.
                    Yes I don't see the point of testing vehicles older than 30 years, the amount of them on the road is so small. People keeping vintage rigs on the road should get a break. Maybe we will get lucky and they will bring the 30 year rolling exemption back. But I doubt it that would make too much sense.

Take the good with the bad I guess, it is nice that rust isn't so bad here.

Let us know how the smog test goes!

Comment

• Auburnmark
                      232 I6
                      • Jan 03, 2015

Passed! The C.A.R.B. gods have bestowed their blessings on me. (barley)
                      Results..
                      HC @ 15mph - Max: 319 Average: 76 My Truck: 319
                      HC @ 25mph - Max: 269 Average: 64 My Truck: 242

COs very good, way under average... NO also way under average.

The tech said he thought hydrocarbons high due to a lean condition. Sure enough when I got home I did some checking and discovered the new thick felt like gasket under carb base had compressed and the carb base had loosened significantly. I tightened her down and she runs even better now!
                      Dodged a bullet there! Off to dmv for tags then a good long road test.
                      Mark

360 V8, 2bl (49 state)
                      T-18 4 speed
                      Dana 44's
                      31x10.50x15

Comment

• gladman
                        232 I6
                        • Jan 16, 2010

great job man!
                        44's/Automatic

Comment

• KilroyJC
                          232 I6
                          • Feb 08, 2016

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

No, never lived in CA. Originally from NJ - you know,the state that decided we needed MTBE in our gas AFTER CA said to take it out...
                          1963 1414 Armstrong Power Steering & Windows, no radio/reverse lights/hazards/seatbelts

1993 Chevy Caprice Wagon -1971 Honda CL175 - 1978 Honda CX500 - Bobcat 610

Gone but not forgotten:
                          1975 Chevy Impala Sport Coupe; 1933 Chrysler CQ coupe; 1970 AMC Ambassador Wagon; 1985 Chevy Caprice Wagon; 1975 Starcraft Holiday18 w/1976 Evinrude 70hp

Comment

• tgomes1987
                            232 I6
                            • Nov 12, 2008

Originally posted by KilroyJC
                            No, never lived in CA. Originally from NJ - you know,the state that decided we needed MTBE in our gas AFTER CA said to take it out...
                            HAHA it's amazing all the dumb things our different states do, even opposite from each other!

Auburnmark, what are you doing next with the truck?

Comment

• Auburnmark
                              232 I6
                              • Jan 03, 2015

Originally posted by tgomes1987
                              Auburnmark, what are you doing next with the truck?
                              HA! Good question!
                              My goal was just to get this thing running and drivable to make sure it was a sound enough truck to get CA legal (smog and registered) before I put to much time and money into it. I still got to go thru the brakes (they work fine but old and crusty) and I have a little throw-out bearing noise when cold.
                              Other than that the motor seems real strong and no other issues I know of.

Options I have been contemplating:
                              * Sell it and buy something '75 or older (smog exempt) so I can build the motor the way I want to.
                              * Keep it the way it is and just use it for what it was meant for.. a utility vehicle to haul stuff, dump runs, etc.
                              * Throw a lift kit under it and go wheel the crap out of it.. something I've never done much of but would like to.
                              * Rebuild/restore. Strip down body and interior and repaint, re-upholster,
                              etc. (Also fun.. but expense and room to work are a problem).

Guess I'll just let this percolate awhile and see what comes.. Suggestions/opinions welcome.
                              Mark

360 V8, 2bl (49 state)
                              T-18 4 speed
                              Dana 44's
                              31x10.50x15

Comment

• DBX11
                                258 I6
                                • May 18, 2009

Nice truck glad you rescued one! Hard decision to just use or restore or beat on. I always wanna lift mine and then I look at it and think, it looks like it did from the factory for the most part and that's why they all got sold simply cause it's a truck. A utility vehicle with a quadratrac system for job site transportation thru mud hills etc. low enough to easily load a sheet of plywood and cut it up right there on the tail gate if need be.
                                Just use it and keep it running for the next guy and usually the closer it is to stock the easier it is to work on vs PO hacks/work arounds Have a nice day

Comment

Working...
                                X