International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tech Archives > Drivetrain

Old 06-07-2001, 05:06 AM
Grease Monkey

Okay this one is for Scotty, and anyone else who has hands-on experience with these T-Cases. Is there an aftermarket kit used to twin stick the Dana20? I know there are kits for the Dana300, but so far, I've found none for the Dana20. How difficult would it be to fab this if an aftermarket kit cannot be found?

Thanks,
Old 06-07-2001, 05:31 AM
Master of B.S.

I don't know about after market, but some early scouts with the D20 came with the twin stick. There is one in a yard close to me that I tried to get but the guy won't sell just the twin stick tower. He told me he would sell me the whole rusty t-case for $300! I still laugh everytime I think about it.

Maybe you can find one in your area.

------------------
'67 Wagoneer
"Red"
Porkchop's Pen

Procrastination: hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now.
Old 06-07-2001, 08:56 AM

no,there is not an aftermarket twin stick kit specifically for a d20. however,my currie twin stick will bolt right onto the scout d20 that i have. as pc noted,some early scout d20s allready had a twinstick shifter,like an 18

if you want all the benefits a twinstick can offer with a scout d20,you will need to disassemble the xfer and either remove the interlock pills,or modify the shift rails if you wantto leave them in. with pills removed,just be careful not to accidentally put the front in high,rear in low,or vice versa. trying to spin the front and rear wheels at very different speeds on a high traction surface will be very disasterous

the jeep d20 found in FSJs does not need any internal mods. if oyu wanted to,you could even use the stock lever for one of the rails,and simply connect the other one to another shifter.

fabbing shifters can be as simple as running a bolt thru the big pipe and drilling some holes in some flat iron to pivot on the bolt,or as complex as you want it to be.

a freind of mine who works in a machine shop made a really slick one that will bolt on in place of his U shifter box. me and kryel are tryin real hard to convince him to make a few more and sell em,im sure lotsa folks would like one. am not real sure how much hed want,casue if he started producing them hed have to buy materials(instead of using scraps)and figure out how long it takes him to make them.

ill talk to him again if anyones interested.

------------------
scott
85 grand wagoneer
258 with motorcraft 2bbl/t18/spicer 18 with pto/widetrac offset d44s/rear discs
38x15.5 gumbo mudders
snorkel/dual batteries/onboard air/"custom" convertable
3 inch body lift/mostly stock suspension/"modified" fender openings
custom front/rear bumpers and brushgaurd

vw turing brake,BIG tow truck PTO winch and full roll cage install very soon
4.0 aquired-4.5L stroker someday...

now we can do some 'wheelin!
Old 06-07-2001, 04:11 PM
Jeep Idiot

Scotty,
The local yard just called me for some parts (I must really be a redneck) and also told me he got 2 flat fenders in. Well I ran right over and between the 2 flat fenders there are 3 d18's 2 of which are parts. Now the big question, will those shifters work on a d20? I think I will grab them anyways as the levers could be put on a new bracket. As you are a D18 kind of a guy, do you need any parts?

------------------
65 wag. 360/edelbrock rb4/t400/20 t-case/4:10 d27/d44 broken power lok/onboard air/onboard 110v power(no inverter)/1999 Lincoln t.c.leather buckets/Lincoln ctr console/winch/33x12.50/tunes/water proof door pads
soon to have new motor/d44frt/d60r(4:10)welded diff/custom bumpers
see ya in da mud
Old 06-07-2001, 04:14 PM
Grease Monkey

Scotty,

So internally, the Jeep D20 and IH D20 are the same, right? What about Ford? I saw an aftermarket Bronco D20 twin-stick would that work? I'll try to find the link....
Thanks again!
Old 06-07-2001, 05:09 PM

Hey scotty, i REALLY want a twin stick. If that guy will make one and sell, it.....i WILL buy one (=

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
1975 Cherokee
360 w/ Edelbrock Performer Intake and Carb
T18a
Spicer 20 T-Case
Dana44 w/3.54 Gears[/list]
Old 06-08-2001, 12:15 AM

Talking

the shift towers will phisically swap,but ya cant use the 18 shift tower with the 20s internals. you can use the levers on a scout d20 with some minor mods to the shift rails.

jeepbob yes i could use spare d18s and/or parts,ill take whayever you dont want or need. are all 3 cases the 1 1/4 intermediate shaft? how much are we talkin? i could prolly make a road trip and come get em...

newbie,the bronco d20 uses the same basic design inthe intenrals,but the housig is a completely different animal. i dont think the bronco twin stick would work,but let us know when you find the link and ill look iat it.

stuka,ill keep pesterin that guy and see what it will take.

------------------
scott
85 grand wagoneer
258 with motorcraft 2bbl/t18/spicer 18 with pto/widetrac offset d44s/rear discs
38x15.5 gumbo mudders
snorkel/dual batteries/onboard air/"custom" convertable
3 inch body lift/mostly stock suspension/"modified" fender openings
custom front/rear bumpers and brushgaurd

vw turing brake,BIG tow truck PTO winch and full roll cage install very soon
4.0 aquired-4.5L stroker someday...

now we can do some 'wheelin!
Old 06-08-2001, 03:57 AM

I put a twin-stick on my D20. it cost me about 15 bucks at the local hardware store. i just got a length of flat stock, 1 inch by 3/8 inch, i think, and cut a couple pieces from that for the shifter arms. then i drilled a half inch hole in each handle about 3 inches from the bottom end and then another, smaller (1/4") hole at the bottom rear corner of the handles.
Then i took a T-connector, a galvanized pipe one, i think about 1 inch diameter or so, and got a reducer fitting that allowed me to screw in a 3/8" diameter nipple that was about 3-4 inches long. i put the handles over the nipple, with washer's to space them properly, and then capped off the nipple with an end cap. the support pipe for the original shifter box can stay in place and the T-connector will slip right over it. then just drill a couple of holes through both the T-connector and the pipe and secure with a couple of bolts. so far mine has worked great. the only change i would make would be to use round bar stock instead of flat bar stock and get it in stainless if possible or if you painted it it would probably be ok -- mine has a couple of rust spots that i have to continually get rid of.

anyway, that just how i did it, the super ghetto way!!!

------------------
72Wag
-------------------------
Cameron
1972 Wagoneer
360/2bbl/th400/d20/
31x10.5/15 Pro Comp MT's on AE 589's
Hurculined interior
One working window!!!
Old 06-08-2001, 04:30 AM
Master of B.S.

Do you have any pics of that. I am having a hard time picturing it.

------------------
'67 Wagoneer
"Red"
Porkchop's Pen

Procrastination: hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now.
Old 06-08-2001, 04:55 AM
Grease Monkey

yeah, pics or a schemeatic would be great! Here's the link for the Ford D20 Twin Stick http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/33.asp
Old 06-08-2001, 05:58 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

dang I like the sounds of the dual dana20 transfer case setup they refer to as a cold duck. Hmmm...rig it for our fsj's and call it a mud duck?

------------------

"jolly" as in green giant 74 cherokee nt,4"lift,
35's,lockers,winch,custom bumpers,304,th400,dana 20
3" body lift
35x12.50 wild country mud lugs
www.trickjeep.freeservers.com

"buttercup"
73 J-4000 360,4bbl,t-18a,dana 20, 8 lug dana axles,assorted rust.
33x12.50 bfg mt's