• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 83CherokeeLaredo
    230 Tornado
    • Nov 18, 2006

Replacing clips on tailgate regulator arms

Does any have any advice on how to get the clips back on the tailgate regulator arms? I have my tailgate up, window about half way down, access panel open and can't figure out a way to get the clips back on the regulator arms. I've tried reaching up and pressing the clips on with pliers and screwdrivers for about the last 90 minute with no luck. Thanks.

cut holes in the gate
    85 gw 215k and still going
    castrated(de-wooded)360 2" espo springs 31x10.5
    89 gw,free,almost legal

She can dance a Cajun rhythm,Jump like a Willys in four wheel drive,

the world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams

"Our militarized "law enforcement" has become the standing army our founders feared"

Comment

• andy d
      Shade Tree Shaman
      • May 06, 2000

What Taltar says. 1st step I take with tailgates is to figure where the clips are and use a 2" holesaw on the panel. After ward I cover the holes with duct tape. It looks factory
      \'88 gwag,pure stock

Comment

• donwag
        258 I6
        • Dec 07, 2003

Well, I have done this a number of times without cutting new holes. It is difficult, but not impossible.

First use new clips or at least re-condition your old ones, a little lubricant will also help. Move the window regulator arms to the best position for access. Get the clips started, one at at time, with your fingers, then use a long screwdriver to leverage the clip to its seat.

Patience and perserverance will win out.
        Don
        82 Cherokee
        89 Grand Wagoneer
        84 CJ7

Comment

• MrFurious
          258 I6
          • May 05, 2005

Use a bimetal 1-1/2" hole saw to cut holes into the inner tailgate panel directly above where clips go withthe window half way down (reulator arms parallel to the ground). You can then use a deep well socket to press the clips on (put a block of wood under the arm so it doesn't flex). To fill the holes, simply go to any parts store and tell them you need two 1-1/2" rubber body plugs like pictured below.

Just finished this exact same job on my Cherokee, and trust me...it's a lot easier than cussing and screaming while you try to get enough pressure on the clips to seat them through the inspection panel opening.
          Last edited by MrFurious; 11-19-2006, 08:12 PM.
          God, Guns, & Jeeps....what else is there?
          Jim B.
          1979 CJ-5
          304 V8 - T150 - Dana 20
          D30/D44 Wide-Trac axles w/4.10 gears
          Ox Locker in rear & rollin on 35's

Comment

• kel
            232 I6
            • Apr 12, 2006

Originally posted by 83CherokeeLaredo
            Does any have any advice on how to get the clips back on the tailgate regulator arms? I have my tailgate up, window about half way down, access panel open and can't figure out a way to get the clips back on the regulator arms. I've tried reaching up and pressing the clips on with pliers and screwdrivers for about the last 90 minute with no luck. Thanks.
            I just did this last week. with the window about 1/3 of the way down just reach up in there and press them on with your fingers. You'll need to "rock" them on one side then the others. I took me a few tries, but eventually I got it, less than 90 minutes tho. Just don't drop it in there, I'm still looking for the other one.

Kel
            1980 Cherokee
            4.2L 4spd w/ manual hubs
            BJ's 4-inch lift (?), Red top Optima, Sunpro Voltmeter, TFI

Comment

• FSJ Guy
              • Mar 20, 2005

The hole drilling method is best. I had a friend drill the holes in my tailgate for me and it makes a WORLD of difference. I didn't plug the holes, as the carpet pad covers them.
              Ethan Brady
              1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• Blinkinlights
                258 I6
                • Sep 19, 2004

First of all...abandon those stupid clips and use a washer and a c-clip.

Your arm looks like this

So Use these

So it looks like this...and put some grease on it so it slides really nicely.

There are no mods that you have to do with the arm, just get the right c-clip and washer. I would love to give you the exact size of the c-clip and washer, but I did this a while ago and never wrote it down. I can say, however, that my window goes up AND down nicely.

HTH

Greg
                87 Grand Wagoneer 360/727/NP208
                BJ's Front and Rear Dozer Bumpers
                35x14.5x15 Boggers on 15x10's
                Mile Marker H10500 Hydraulic Winch
                http://photobucket.com/albums/y174/bANGr/

It's all fun and games until someone breaks a woodie.

Comment

I just did this Monday night. The stud was so worn I just could not get the stock type clips in there. I went with the c-clip idea. 7/16" is what fit mine although my calipers were measuring closer to 3/8". I won't know how well it will work until the long-term test though.

JP.

Comment

Working...
                  X