• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Full Size Jeeper
    304 AMC
    • Jul 20, 2014

1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
    Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• TexasJ10
      360 AMC
      • Jan 03, 2002

It's only a one foot separation here between water and electricity with the water being on top, the last time I checked. You could do it in a two foot deep trench. Some red paint or plastic marker is recommended under the water line to indicate that electrical is buried below. There is a two foot deep requirement under a driveway however. Looks like you went plenty stout on the wire. You must have a good size transformer and main feed lines. Great project.
      Last edited by TexasJ10; 08-15-2015, 09:43 PM.
      * 1981 stepside, 360, 727, 208, almost stock daily driver.
      * 1982 Laredo j-10, 360, 727, in rough shape and in the process of being rebuilt with 401, NV4500, Klune,
      . NP205,d60 front, d70 rear, fender work and minimal lift. It will probably take 10 years
      * 1973 jcab mounted on 1983 j20 frame. 360/t18/208 d44/d60. Almost completed

Comment

• bigun
        • Feb 10, 2003

Originally posted by Full Size Jeeper
        No water if they cant be run together. The wire size is 2/0 on the two hots and 1/0 on the ground. We ran under the driveway today. Already had a 4 inch piece of PVC under the driveway, so were able to slide the 2 inch conduit and wire right on in. Not sure how hot it was, but it felt like a thousand degrees! Gave up after hand trenching next to the house and pulling that under the driveway. We will try and hit it again early in the morning Saturday.
        Please tell me you ran a neutral in 1/0 plus a #6 ground
        charlie
        KB0HXA
        "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

Originally posted by Gambler68
        congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
        How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
        Robert A. Heinlein
        The birth of CROM is recorded here
        http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
          304 AMC
          • Jul 20, 2014

Please tell me you ran a neutral in 1/0 plus a #6 ground

I miss spoke. Two hots are 2/0 and the neutral is 1/0. I was told I could use a ground rod.
          1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
          Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
            304 AMC
            • Jul 20, 2014

Bigun, check this out.

The National Electrical Code Section 250-32 (B) Exception: permits the supply to an existing (not new) second building to consist of two ungrounded hot wires and one grounded neutral conductor, with the neutral conductor grounded and bonded to the service enclosure at the second building and tied to a grounding electrode. This does not apply if there is any other metal connection between the two buildings. (example; metal water pipe)
            1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
              304 AMC
              • Jul 20, 2014

So the code that I posted does not apply?
              1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• bigun
                • Feb 10, 2003

So the code that I posted does not apply?
                Sorry I just got home my code book is not in the house, here is what I found on Mike Holt's web site. I know locally I have to run 4 wires from one building to the next plus add a ground bar at both buildings. Personally I feel it is cheap insurance
                Mike Holt worked his way up through the electrical trade from apprentice electrician through electrical contractor, to become one of the most recognized experts in the world as it relates to electrical power installations. He was a Journeyman Electrician, Master Electrician, and Electrical Contractor. In 1974, Mike realized there was a need for quality electrical training and opened Mike Holt Enterprises.

250-32(b)(1) Feeder Equipment Grounding Conductor. An equipment grounding conductor (bonding wire) [250-118] installed with the feeder conductors to the separate building or structure can be use to provide the low impedance path to clear a phase-to-ground fault. To prevent dangerous neutral current from flowing on the metal parts of the electrical system, the grounded (neutral) conductor at the separate building or structure must not be bonded to either the equipment grounding conductor or to the grounding electrode system, Figure 4
                Author?s Comment: The feeder equipment grounding conductor (bond wire) to the remote building or structure must ultimately terminate to the grounded (neutral) conductor at the service equipment or source of separately derived system, Figure 4
                250-32(b)(2) Feeder Grounded (neutral) Conductor. Where a feeder equipment grounding conductor is not run to the separate building or structure, the feeder grounded (neutral) conductor can be use to provide the low impedance path to clear phase-to-ground faults.
                DANGER ? The use of the grounded (neutral) conductor for equipment bonding is a dangerous practice and should not be done.
                Author?s Comment:Interior metal piping system must also be bonded to a low impedance path in accordance with Section 250-2(c) and 250-104(a)(3), Figure 5.
                In Summary:
                1. A grounding electrode must be available at all separate buildings or structures supplied with a feeder. A grounding electrode is not required at separate buildings or structures supplied with one branch circuit that has an equipment grounding conductor.
                2. The grounding electrode system at the remote building or structure must be bonded to the separate building or structure disconnect.
                3. An equipment grounding conductor (bond wire) run with the feeder supply conductors to the separate building or structure must terminate to the separate building or structure disconnect. No neutral-to-ground connection is permitted.
                Mike Holt is the go to guy on code questions even the Union instructors use him
                charlie
                KB0HXA

congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
                Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                  304 AMC
                  • Jul 20, 2014

Thanks for the info!
                  1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• bigun
                    • Feb 10, 2003

Not a problem, the code can be esoteric and open to interpretation. I have actually convinced inspectors to see things my way.
                    charlie
                    KB0HXA

Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• WHSII
                      Hack-Priss
                      • Feb 06, 2010

Originally posted by bigun
                      Not a problem, the code can be esoteric and open to interpretation. I have actually convinced inspectors to see things my way.
                      However, the electric inspector "is" the ruling authority! If he does not see it your way, you will do it his way.

I do hope you have pulled a permit and will let him council you before you go too far.

We always have the building, electrical, and plumbing inspector make a visit to our job site before the project starts, and explain what we are trying to accomplish. We then have no surprises...
                      WH

Dad's J10, Honcho, 1980 Sport Side
                      Build http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=118144

https://picasaweb.google.com/113072766039246994279/JeepJ10Honcho

Herbina 1987 Grand Wagoneer

Founding Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• bigun
                        • Feb 10, 2003

Originally posted by WHSII
                        However, the electric inspector "is" the ruling authority! If he does not see it your way, you will do it his way.
                        Quoted for truth!
                        I did a job in Aspen Co. where the retiring inspector required a disconnect for the dryer within site of the dryer! His reasoning was that because you had to reach down to unplug the dryer someone could possible touch the prongs while the plug was half way out of the receptacle and get shocked!!!! So in this multi million dollar Spec home with ultra high end finishes next to the dryer there is a fifty amp disconnect mounted on the wall.
                        Last edited by bigun; 08-18-2015, 06:24 AM.
                        charlie
                        KB0HXA

Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• SJTD
                          304 AMC
                          • Apr 26, 2012

Couldn't you have put the plug within reach?
                          Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• bigun
                            • Feb 10, 2003

Originally posted by SJTD
                            Couldn't you have put the plug within reach?
                            Maybe, but dryers are designed to have the plug at a certain level so that the dryer sits flush to the wall. We actually recessed the disconnect into the wall and the builder was going to box around it and make it look like a cabinet. The disconnect used was a non fuse able made for an A/C unit, so it was not very big, it was just one of those things the old guy thought up, the other city inspectors were just waiting for him to retire, and I was unlucky enough to catch him before he quit. There is a code that states that there has to be a means of disconnect within the line of sight for a equipment, most inspectors except that a cord and plug is a means of disconnect, he didn't so I played his game.
                            I have fought and won only to loose on the next, it has to be a fairly egregious misinterpretation for me to argue about it, all my local inspectors know they better be able to show where they are finding their violation I'm not talking about simple things like to many wires under a staple (It was impressive I had an apprentice who layed four #12s flat then stood one on it's side on either side so that he got 6 #12 NMCs under one staple!) I had one inspector new guy flexing his muscles who wanted me to redo the grounding on a panel on an addition because they had come in through the meter grounded it then running a continuous #6 bare copper wire though the nipple brought it into the panel, I ended up sending pictures to his boss along with relevant code excerpts and asked for his ruling. His boss agreed with me, he nailed me on the next one on the height of the service above a roof I set it low because I knew the building next door was going to be demolished he said that is fine you can lower it after until then it has to be at the correct height above the roof , So I extended the mast 3 feet or so. As far as I know it is still that high because I never went back.
                            charlie
                            KB0HXA

Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• serehill
                              Gone,Never Forgotten.
                              • Nov 22, 2009

Bigun, check this out.

The National Electrical Code Section 250-32 (B) Exception: permits the supply to an existing (not new) second building to consist of two ungrounded hot wires and one grounded neutral conductor, with the neutral conductor grounded and bonded to the service enclosure at the second building and tied to a grounding electrode. This does not apply if there is any other metal connection between the two buildings. (example; metal water pipe)
                              Yeah you can get away with the ground rod & de-rated neutral no worries.

80 Cherokee
                              360 ci 727 with
                              Comp cams 270 h
                              NP208
                              Edlebrock performer intake
                              Holley 4180
                              Msd total multi spark.
                              4" rusty's springs
                              Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                                304 AMC
                                • Jul 20, 2014

Thanks Serehill.
                                1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

Working...
                                X