• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Karl Streich
    327 Rambler
    • Mar 09, 2003

and at least one of my waggies has that

Part of my interist in the MBZ diesel is the fact that I can make a SMOG legal swap into later trucks, perhaps not with a cummins, I'll look for a 4bt though, see what $$$ are...

Originally posted by Cecil14:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Karl Streich:
    I'll keep my eyes open for a 4bt, BTW, with the diesel the big tires could actually help fuel economy by reducing RPM since they are so RPM sensitive, or just normal tires with 3:1 final drive instead of 4.09:1
    I'm thinking 2.73s/31s and an NV4500.

That'd keep your RPMs down. hehe

aa
    </font>[/QUOTE]

Comment

• DieselSJ
      304 AMC
      • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Karl Streich:
      and at least one of my waggies has that

Part of my interist in the MBZ diesel is the fact that I can make a SMOG legal swap into later trucks, perhaps not with a cummins, I'll look for a 4bt though, see what $$$ are...

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Cecil14:
      </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Karl Streich:
      I'll keep my eyes open for a 4bt, BTW, with the diesel the big tires could actually help fuel economy by reducing RPM since they are so RPM sensitive, or just normal tires with 3:1 final drive instead of 4.09:1
      I'm thinking 2.73s/31s and an NV4500.

That'd keep your RPMs down. hehe

aa
      </font>[/QUOTE]
      </font>[/QUOTE]CA does not smog check diesels. When you go for your first smog check, you go to a referee and they verify that it is a diesel and give you an exemption.
      -87 Grand, 6.5L diesel, MHI TE06H turbo, Water/air intercooler, Art Carr 700R4, CS-130, hydroboost. 21/24mpg, dead 229 [Custom 242 on the way]
      -99 XJ Limited.
      -Jeepspeed 1717 -Built 4.0, FAST EFI, Rubicon Express, Bilstein, Rigid Industries, 4 Wheel Parts, G2 Axle, Currie Enterprises
      -Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• Karl Streich
        327 Rambler
        • Mar 09, 2003

QUOTE]CA does not smog check diesels. When you go for your first smog check, you go to a referee and they verify that it is a diesel and give you an exemption.[/QB][/QUOTE]

True, I'll do some research, but I believe it still must meet the swap in criteria, so it needs to come from a same year or newer vehicle in the same weight class or lighter. Also, just because vehicles arn't tested dosn't mean that they arn't required to have their smog equipment on them just that no one will check

Comment

• Don in Missouri
          258 I6
          • Aug 11, 2002

I'm shopping for a Cummins 4bt for my Waggoneer. 25 mpg is reasonable. The Cummins likes to run about 2100 RPMs. I plan to run 3.54 gears, 31"-33" tires and a 700R4. The final drive ratio will be pretty much the same as my 6bt powered Dodge crewcab, and it runs sweet.

A $500 adapter will allow me to use the stock Wagoneer t-case.

Hood clearance may dictate the type of aftercooler I use on the 4bt.

You common aftercooled 4bt will put out 120-125 hp and 265 lb-ft torque. You can find those for around $2500. If you want more than 145 hp, I'm told you should look for a in-line or p-pumped motor which are harder tofind and more $.
          <a href=\"http://www.angelfire.com/tv2/mysterymachine\" target=\"_blank\">www.angelfire.com/tv2/mysterymachine</a><br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.imageevent.com/shaggy/trucks\" target=\"_blank\">www.imageevent.com/shaggy/trucks</a>

Comment

• CowKiller
            FSJ Executioner
            • Apr 03, 2002

i found an intercooled turbo 3.9 with 90000 miles on it in the junk yard. he wants 3500 bucks.
            Corey Zakeosian
            2002 gmc 2500Hd duramax
            2000 Ford f-550 work truck
            1986 f350 6.9 diesel hp60 front, sterling 10.25 rear, 36x12.5 military wranglers. TOY!
            NO JEEP
            I am ready to meet my Maker. Wether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter

Comment

• Max Power
              327 Rambler
              • Sep 25, 2001

heres another thread about MBZ to jeep possibilities.

I think the 3L non turbo w/ manual tranny would be enuff power for my FSJ.

cheers,
              Robert

Cheers,
              Robert
              www.rbk3.com/fsj
              1980 Jeep Cherokee Laredo WT 360/727/208
              1980 MBZ Euro 300D 4-speed manual - Oil Squeezer
              1984 MBZ Euro 300D 5-speed manual - Oil Squeezer

Comment

Working...
              X