• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CJ Runner
    230 Tornado
    • Oct 30, 2008

AMC 360 to CJ 5 Swap

Hi all,

I'm new to these forums and had some questions about swapping in an AMC 360 into my 1978 CJ5. I bought a re-manufactured AMC 360 and mated it to a t-150 transmission. I have the engine and transmission in the frame and I'm starting to bolt everything on. I rebuilt a Holley 600 CFM 4160 (4bbl) and now I'm hooking up emissions equipment. I'm unsure of what EGR valve I need for this engine. The engine I had in my CJ5 was an AMC 304, but it didn't have an EGR valve. The two EGR pictures in the link show images I pulled from a repair manual for a 1978 Jeep Wagoneer w/AMC 360 4bbl. The in the lower right corner is one I found online for AMC V8's.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg107/jeep_albums/untitled.jpg

Now the picture on the right shows a combination EGR valve/back pressure sensor. The picture in the lower right corner shows a separate back pressure sensor w/the delay valve in between the delay valve and EGR valve. Here are the two EGR valves I found from NAPA and the third is a link to all the available EGR valve OEM #'s:
    1)
    http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=CRB&PartNumber= 23045&Description=Exhaust+Gas+Recirculation+(EGR)+Valve
    2)
    http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=CRB&PartNumber= 23077&Description=Exhaust+Gas+Recirculation+(EGR)+Valve
    3)
    http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=430&Keyword=egr&KeywordCat=E GR+Valve&VehCode=Y

The picture in the upper left has the EGR going to a TVS (this is in the air cleaner correct?) and then to the delay valve then to the EGR CTO and then to the carb. This is the delay valve I bought:
    http://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/parts/Detailed/253.html

So to recap.....

Known
    Year: 1978
    Make: Jeep
    Model CJ 5
    Engine: AMC 360 Swap
    Carb: 4160 Holley 600 CFM 4bbl
    No air pump/smog pump just EGR and PCV

Unknown
    EGR OEM # for a 1978 AMC 360
    TVS location
    Vacuum line size

Hopefully I didn't put you to sleep w/all the writing, but any help is appreciated.
  • Tornado230
    350 Buick
    • Sep 14, 2008

Amc 360 to CJ 5 swap

The first question is-
    Does your location require an emission test of some sort?
    This will determine what you will have to do in order to pass a test.
    The CJ used a different set of emission controls (light duty) versus the system used on the FSJ (heavy duty).
    Generally, the motor has to comply with the vehicle in which it is placed.
    The '78 CJ V-8 used a catalytic converter, air pump, egr, and some other vacuum switches.
    I can suggest you obtain a copy of the TSM for the 1978 model.
    This will show you what existed, and will also show the vacuum diagrams for the various vehicles.

Comment

• CJ Runner
      230 Tornado
      • Oct 30, 2008

I don't have to pass emissions. Is the only purpose of the EGR to reduce NOx? What's the decrease in gas mileage....not a huge concern b/c this won't be a daily driver, but I'm just curious.

Comment

• Tornado230
        350 Buick
        • Sep 14, 2008

Amc 360 to CJ 5 swap

The EGR is as it says, exhaust gas re-circulation. I believe the purpose of the valve is to reduce combustion temperature to lower the NOx.
        The main thing this does is reduce performance, as you are introducing an inert gas into the combustion chamber.

Comment

• mdill
          Gone. Not Forgotten.
          • Nov 22, 2000

Originally posted by Tornado230
          The EGR is as it says, exhaust gas re-circulation. I believe the purpose of the valve is to reduce combustion temperature to lower the NOx.
          The main thing this does is reduce performance, as you are introducing an inert gas into the combustion chamber.
          Having an EGR will not reduce performance, the EGR valve is only open at part throttle high vaccum, it is closed at high throttle openings, it also does not decrease milage, IF and only IF the carb is setup to take advantage ot the EGR (leaner jets than a non-egr setuup) and the ignition advance also is setup to add more advance when the EGR is open.

In general EGR does not effect either idle or high throttle operation, it is only open at low throttle settings and high manifold vacumm i.e. cruse condtions, where it does lower PEAK combustion temps to reduce the formation on NOx.

So it all come down to a tuning issue, if done right the EGR will not have any noticable effect vs. a non-EGR setup, the biggest problem is to get it all setup right, without spending huge amounts of time.

Mike D.
          -----------------------------------------
          Home of ADHD project list

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
          1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
          1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
          1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
          1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
          And the other stuff that gets driven
          ----------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
          X