• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • banjoguy
    258 I6
    • Apr 12, 2010

A/C removal for Rhino conversion

Hey guys!
    Started on my Rhino conversion today. Part of putting the old Gladiator grill on required me to move the tranny cooler. My AC system is busted, so I decided to remove everything, pump, condenser, cooler, dryer, hoses...

This turned out to be very challenging! After several hours of messing with the pump I finally got it out. Got the new fan belts installed and noticed there was a huge pool of green coolent on the ground. Some where in the process I caused a leak on the water pump. Also discovered that some of the bolt holes started leaking motor oil. Plugged them up the best I could with shorter bolts I had in a scrap coffee can. Did relocate the tranny cooler and got the grill bolted in.

Closed her up for the day and admired my handy work. When I fired up the jeep I noticed a horrible swishing sound. Opened the hood again and its coming from the Power steering pump!!! How in all of this did I mess up the power steering pump?!?!? It was fine when I parked it. Drove it back to the house anyway since I was out of time and needed to come in for dinner and every time I turned you could hear some grinding.

I got a spare off a junker that some guy was parting out, but I'm not sure if it works. Ugh. Can never win with these FSJ's can you?!?!!

I will post pictures of the Rhino conversion once I replace the square headlights with the round and bolt on the pie pans. Gota do some welding for that.

Sean Kelly
    Sean Kelly
    1987 Grand Wagoneer
  • biotex
    258 I6
    • Apr 30, 2009

When you swap from square to round, do you have to replace the buckets behind the bulbs? I'm going to do the same, but am unclear on that point.
    1986 CJ7, AMC 304/ T-176
    1968 Scout 800, 152/T-18
    1971 Scout 800B, 345/727
    CJ10-A Tug,Waggy axles, Sd33, 727

Comment

• Knuck
      350 Buick
      • Jun 13, 2008

Yes. You will need to replace the buckets as well.
      81 J20 "Mater", 401/T-18/NP208, Rhino Conversion, 4" Rusty's all-spring lift, extended length front shackles, 2" rear blocks. LT285/70r-16 M.T. Baja Claws, Front Locker, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Front Bumper under construction.

Comment

• banjoguy
        258 I6
        • Apr 12, 2010

You will need to weld some tabs on to screw the round buckets in. Do a google video search for the show Trucks and FSJ..
        Sean Kelly
        1987 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

Working...
        X