• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Subic Jeep
    327 Rambler
    • Apr 03, 2007

Constructive ideas about tailgate modifications

We all know that the tailgate is Achilles heal on a FSJ there are so many post about the tailgate window not working and its prone to rust etc.

My problem with tailgate is, its heavy and difficult to reach the lock (due to lift) and its in the way from reaching the cargo area.

Today there was a post about a FSJ with barn doors, it looks good, but is a complicated construction. The picture was perfect for Photo shop modification, thanks!

Here is my idea of a tailgate with hinges on the top.

To make this the main concern is weight, as a lot of strain will be on the window frame.

Probably the tailgate locks could be kept and working. I am not sure... as the opening angle is opposite to original.

As no space is needed for the window lowering mechanism the tailgate could be made of thinner material just leaving sides (with locks) and bottom part of original tailgate.

Gas pistons to carry the weight when opening.

How about the roof portion strong enough to carry the tailgate?
    Lars

I am in the five bananas category!
    Cherokee 1981 officially 1974 huh local irony
    Gen 1 GM-SB 350 V8 TBI - TH400 - Klune V - Twin stick NP205 w. Nippon shifter
    Dana 60 w. ARB locker, hydraulic assist + GM 14FF w. Detroit locker.4-link rear on LC80 19mm coils
    Rancho 5036 Shocks 14 inch travel. 39.5x15.5x15 TSL
  • FSJ Guy
    • Mar 20, 2005

The roof is probably plenty strong.

Have you looked at how think OEM rear lift doors are? They are pretty hefty around the windows. Also, many are made of fiberglass.

You could do it. Would it be easy? No. Would it be unique and really cool if done right? You bet!
    Ethan Brady
    1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• getbentfab
      232 I6
      • Dec 18, 2008

Here's a picture of what I'll be doing this winter.
      I'm building mine as much like a modern SUV as possible.
      After about a year of planning and many hours in the wrecking yards looking for ideas I'd never mount a lift gate to a FSJ roof. Here's why...
      Tap a FSJ roof then go to the wrecking yard and tap the area around where the auto industry mounts their lift gates. Look at all the reinforcements and boxing that's required and you'll see what I mean.
      A lift gate that incorporates a FSJ tail gate with a home fabbed window frame is going to be heaver than a commercially produced gate yet a FSJ roof is substantially less rigid.
      Because such a large window frame will be required to support a FSJ tailgate I'm flush mounting lexan to hide the frame and save weight.
      Replaceing most of the tailgate's interior sheet metal with aluminum and removing the window regulator will lighten it up a bit more.
      I won't be using a wiper but it was in the picture I photo-chopped to make mine.
      I'll be using a variation of the hinge below to mount the lift gate to the rear hoop of my roll cage. If I hadn't built the roll cage I was going to reinforce the rear pillars and mount the hinges near the top of the pillars.
      I've talked to a couple of body shops and they've had great advice about sealing the new door and mounting the glass. I got better ideas from the custom rod shop than from the guys at the standard body shop who only do insurance work on new cars.

I hope you get yours done before I start mine because I haven't really figured out a latch mechanism that I like yet and I'm interested in what you come up with.

Comment

• Subic Jeep
        327 Rambler
        • Apr 03, 2007

I like your idea with lexan window, it looks really good and I like the color on your Wagoner the new tailgate is going to be perfect!

I have one more problem with the tailgate and thats is rear visibility as I am going to use mine mostly as a trail rig. Still want to have the tailgate covered to avoid rain.

It hit me that the whole tailgate could be made with lexan but bending it to tailgate shape is going to be very very difficult. I presume it could be done with heat in a big oven...

This would solve the weight issue..

I was wondering if you can make it in photo shop thats above my skill level?

My mind is wondering around with different ideas one is to make the tailgate look like a part of the roll cage (internal) more or less following the horizontal lines of the tailgate.... does not need to have roll cage material thickness as it would just be the frame for lexan but would still be very strong. This is my Mad Max approach.. as I wanted to put my engine oil cooler on the hood hehe
        Last edited by Subic Jeep; 07-11-2009, 08:11 PM.
        Lars

Dana 60 w. ARB locker, hydraulic assist + GM 14FF w. Detroit locker.4-link rear on LC80 19mm coils

Comment

• Subic Jeep
          327 Rambler
          • Apr 03, 2007

Just trowing out some ideas

I like this setup tough impossible here everything has to be locked down with million HD padlocks

I like the functionality of it and that makes it look good.

Lars

Comment

• Subic Jeep
            327 Rambler
            • Apr 03, 2007

still looking for ideas

Here is what we got

Picture from: http://www.wagoneers.com/

---------------------------------------------------

Idea for top hinge

T
            Lars

Comment

• joe
              • Apr 28, 2000

Tailgates suck period, lift gates are marginally better but cargo/barn doors are the most reliable easiest to use. Even w/o rear glass they're better. Bout time Merican's learned to use outside rearview mirrors. If I were a metal massager, which I'm not, I'd concentrate my effort on barn doors even if I had to scab tin over a butchered up set of suburban or van barn doors.
              Just my non-constructive two cents.

Tail-lift gates are lame.
              joe
              "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Subic Jeep
                327 Rambler
                • Apr 03, 2007

I just did it, hmm just do it your way

I did it may way....... I told you I would ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

This can be done just loose the weight of the tail gate

Lars

Comment

• Subic Jeep
                  327 Rambler
                  • Apr 03, 2007

Maybe a bit radical but I love it

Last edited by Subic Jeep; 05-01-2010, 12:05 AM. Reason: missing link
                  Lars

Comment

• PeaRat450
                    232 I6
                    • Nov 23, 2009

This thread is a little old but I'll throw my 2 cents at it. I'd like to see a split tailgate done. I.E. the a hinged frame is built around fixed glass which rotates up, and the rest of the tailgate works as designed rotating down on the stock hinges. You could then ditch the motor and roll up mechanism making the tailgate lighter. You could close up the top of the tailgate where the window used to roll down into significantly reducing the change of tailgate rust. It's nice for ventilation, but I personally could care less about rolling down the tailgate glass.
                    1977 Wagoneer AMC 360 w/TH400 and QT. Pretty much stock right now.

Comment

• joe
                      • Apr 28, 2000

I'm a big fan of the barn doors but have no fab skills so if a one piece gate is your plan, rather than a lift gate how about a swing gate like on a Ford station wagon?
                      joe
                      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• El_Diablo
                        350 Buick
                        • Apr 06, 2009

now you guys have me thinking about a giant lexan back window for off road use.... just build a frame and attach it like stock, wouldn't be hard at all and not very expensive...
                        1985 Grand Wagoneer-360/727/229/D44/AMC20

2011 Mazdaspeed 3
                        2012 Focus
                        2000 Camaro
                        1995 Mustang
                        2009 GSXR-600

Comment

Working...
                        X