• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Marneaus
    360 AMC
    • Jun 16, 2010

is this more or less the process?

A maintenance write-up on removing and overhauling the axle shafts on a rear D-44 Jeep TJ axle. The write-up includes the removal and installation of the axle seal, bearing, and bearing retainer.

Again, how likely is it that I'll need to even replace the bearings on the front and rear axle shafts? Or is it worth it simply since i have the front axle out of the truck right now anyway?

Is there an 'inner' bearing on the front, or is the axle shaft supported only by the spindle bearings? I'm not super familiar with this.
    Last edited by Dr. Marneaus; 03-20-2013, 12:05 PM.
    Originally posted by FSJunkie
    Dr. Marneaus is now officially my idol.
    The Mag - The Wag

The Beast Build Thread:Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread
    1973 Wagoneer - 1987 360 w/ factory 4bbl - TH400 - D20 - D30/D44

Comment

• jamesdart
      258 I6
      • Jan 05, 2013

on the front you have 2 wheel bearings and a spindle bearing. on the rear you have axle bearings right behind the brakes.
      1978 wagoneer, jasper 360 performer intake holley 600,700r4, twinstick dana 300, dana 44s with 4.10s and Yukon zip locker, York oba, 4" rusty's spring lift, 33x10.50 km2, ramsey ford front bumper with worm drive ramsey winch, 4" pipe air tank rear bumper with spare tire swing out.

Comment

• Tad
        • Nov 30, 2001

I wouldn't replace the front bearings unless you find they are bad. I would replace the spindle bearings and axle shaft u-joints up front, I hate going back in after those.
        I would replace the rear wheel bearings for piece of mind, I quit doing my own and just pull the axle shafts and take them in these days.
        2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
        EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
        Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• Dr. Marneaus
          360 AMC
          • Jun 16, 2010

so....

Inspect: Front hub bearings

Replace: Spindle Bearings/Rear Bearings

a check by hand shows everything is smooth and tight up front (no real wobbles or anything), but like you said I would rather do the stuff that's more convenient at this time rather than when the axles are under the truck.

I had planned on u-joints for sure, and ball joints for sure. I'll do the spindle bearings and I guess the bearings in the hub would be easy enough if they go bad down the road.

On the spindle bearing, is there some trick to getting it out? Seems like it's nice and deep in there.
          The Mag - The Wag

Comment

• aktrapper
            232 I6
            • Aug 29, 2008

Everything...

I am replacing all the seals and bearings in the axle at the same time I do u-joints and ball joints - I figure the cost wasn't too bad for the parts and I'm in there anyway. I have a tough time getting the time to do these jobs so a few extra bucks replacing parts that aren't totally shot is worth it for me...
            Certified Novice Mechanic...
            89 Grand Wagoneer (AMC 360/TF727/NP229)

A work in progress!

Comment

• REDONE
              304 AMC
              • Aug 19, 2002

Originally posted by aktrapper
              I am replacing all the seals and bearings in the axle at the same time I do u-joints and ball joints - I figure the cost wasn't too bad for the parts and I'm in there anyway. I have a tough time getting the time to do these jobs so a few extra bucks replacing parts that aren't totally shot is worth it for me...
              You are absolutely right and your logic is sound.

However, I've never seen the front wheel bearings wear out. I've seen them destroyed by lack of service, but that goes down quick and once started is unreversable, but if the front wheel bearings are good, they're good. New grease every year and new seal when they start to bleed, they'll last forever.
              2012 Winner of the Prestigious Ouray Cast Iron Butt Award
              79 J-10 - The Money Badger!
              304/T18/D20/D44s
              What's been did:
              Holley 4160/Ede' S.P.2.P.
              MSD Streetfire based TFI
              Custom-hack gauge cluster
              Razor swap
              Fancy exhaust (Thrush Muffler)
              2 knob tape deck!
              3" homebuilt lift
              Half a hillbilly paint job

Comment

• Dr. Marneaus
                360 AMC
                • Jun 16, 2010

Thanks for the advice guys.

Ordered 2 sets of spiced ball joints and that actually depleted the little pile of money I had for jeep parts this month (can you believe I sold a gun for this?) so we will see if I can scrounge some more up without altering my budget too much (I believe I will be able to finally pay off my credit card debt this month if I'm not foolish with spending on jeep parts!!)
                The Mag - The Wag

Comment

• Tad
                  • Nov 30, 2001

On the spindle bearing, is there some trick to getting it out?
                  I know there is a tool for it but I have always used a section of 1/2 square tube and just knocked them out, flange of spindle clamped in vise.
                  I install them with a large C-clamp but I have some really big clamps.
                  2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                  EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
                  Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                    Señor Jackhead
                    • Aug 21, 2002

Originally posted by Dr. Marneaus
                    Thanks for the advice guys.

Ordered 2 sets of spiced ball joints and that actually depleted the little pile of money I had for jeep parts this month (can you believe I sold a gun for this?) so we will see if I can scrounge some more up without altering my budget too much (I believe I will be able to finally pay off my credit card debt this month if I'm not foolish with spending on jeep parts!!)
                    Spiced Ball Joints? Who'da thunk?

Man, you have been sucked into the delusion that you can own a FSJ and also pay down your credit at the same time.

The last time I installed spindle bearings I found a piece of pipe that fit the application. May have been a jack handle.
                    Flint
                    Ran when parked.
                    http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                    88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                    76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                    http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Dr. Marneaus
                      360 AMC
                      • Jun 16, 2010

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
                      Spiced Ball Joints? Who'da thunk?

Man, you have been sucked into the delusion that you can own a FSJ and also pay down your credit at the same time.

The last time I installed spindle bearings I found a piece of pipe that fit the application. May have been a jack handle.
                      mmmmmmmm spiced ball joints *drool* haha, sorry, Spicer.

Nah nah nah, I've been doing awesome! I've paid off several thousand in debt since right before christmas, and as soon as April 1st rolls around, i'll have killed my credit card debt FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!!! Woo! I'm actually pretty proud of that. Ugh, then there's 19,000 worth of school loans left too....thats okay, it'll take like a year.

Anyway, yah, I've read of people using a pipe to set them in place.
                      The Mag - The Wag

Comment

• Mike D
                        350 Buick
                        • Jul 29, 2002

been looking for a video of some one doing a front bearing replacement -- spose it dosen't exist for a closed knuckle 72
                        64 Wagoneer 283 SBC
                        50 truck
                        63 J-200 Truck -- help bring home

Please, if you believe in the power of prayer, God and Jesus Christ... I beg you add my relationship with Heather Boyd to be reconciled to a new, stronger than ever, wonderful marriage ... to your prayer list and remember us daily.

Addendum:
                        And now that im getting Divorced .. i want to work on it , but no one else does -- ^ -- Heather, please leave your affair with Josh Smith and come back to the father of your children

Comment

Working...
                        X