• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve79Code17
    230 Tornado
    • Jan 21, 2006

Project Cherokee - Part 1

Hey everyone. Been a while since I've posted here. Hope everyone is doing well.

So, here's what's going on. Since I currently own 3 vehicles, I've decided to lighten the load a little bit, so to speak. There's really not a whole lot of need for 4WD around the SF Bay Area, so I want to get my Jeep fixed up and give it to my mom. Her and her b/f only have one reliable 4WD vehicle between them and the winters in ID aren't the same as the winters in the Bay.

So, here's the starting point:

Rebuilt 360, TH400, QT and rear end
    Stock Dana 44s with a Tru-Trac in the rear
    Howell EFI
    MSD Offroad 6 ignition box, Pro-billet distributor and High-vibration Blaster coil

I'm sure there's some more I'm forgetting, but that's all I can recall right now. So, first thing's first...fuel supply. I'm using the stock tank right now with the supplied pump and filter from Howell. I had the kit installed when I had the motor rebuilt and I believe the lines aren't the factory ones, rather rubber lines from tank to TB. Since its been sitting for a while, I know the fuel in the tank is probably shot. So, this is the list of things I want to tackle for this part of the project:

New fuel tank
    New fuel pump
    New fuel filter
    New fuel lines?
    Add valve on fuel supply line to check fuel pressure

Also, I've noticed that, under hard acceleration, the TB starts to starve for fuel when the tank is under about 50% or so since I converted it. I've been thinking about both Aero Tanks and BJ's Offroad for a baffled fuel tank to fix this, but not 100% sure. What do you guys think? Also, in-tank or external pump? I'm partial to in-tank myself, but I don't want this to be an overly-complicated setup. Any and all help/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks everyone.
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6...Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez
  • HeloiseTheFamilyTruckster
    230 Tornado
    • Oct 31, 2011

For the fuel starvation when under 1/2 tank, I would check the sending unit. Sometimes the filter sock (especially on aftermarket senders, plastic) falls off, then your sucking fuel from about 3~4 inches from the bottom of the tank. I had the happen. I extended mine with rubber hose and a new soft sock from the parts stone so it sits on the bottom of the stock gas tank. Since then no issues, even with my Howell EFI.
    Russ

1989 Grand Wagoneer
    - 90K miles, stock except: Howell EFI, CS144, rear entertainment, and aftermarket keyless entry
    1997 Cherokee XJ 2 door
    - 4.0L, 5 m/t, 3 inch lift, 31X10.5X15
    1967 Pontiac Tempest convertible
    - Long term rebuild, GTO clone, planned 455 with 5 m/t
    2000 H-D Road King Classic
    - Completely stock

Comment

• fsjparts
      232 I6
      • May 31, 2010

What part of ID......just wondering if I'm going to see this driving around

Comment

• Steve79Code17
        230 Tornado
        • Jan 21, 2006

Originally posted by HeloiseTheFamilyTruckster
        For the fuel starvation when under 1/2 tank, I would check the sending unit. Sometimes the filter sock (especially on aftermarket senders, plastic) falls off, then your sucking fuel from about 3~4 inches from the bottom of the tank. I had the happen. I extended mine with rubber hose and a new soft sock from the parts stone so it sits on the bottom of the stock gas tank. Since then no issues, even with my Howell EFI.
        Interesting. So, I could just use a stock replacement from BJ's? That would be nice if I could.

Also, I recall seeing someone doing a swap for an early-mid eighties GM sender with an in-tank pump. Would this be work considering?

Originally posted by fsjparts
        What part of ID......just wondering if I'm going to see this driving around
        lol She's around Middleton. So, if you're close, then you probably will.
        Steve

Comment

• Steve79Code17
          230 Tornado
          • Jan 21, 2006

Originally posted by Steve79Code17
          Also, I recall seeing someone doing a swap for an early-mid eighties GM sender with an in-tank pump. Would this be work considering?
          Nevermind, just saw that its a Jeep sender with a GM pump. Anyone try and hook up an in-tank pump to a stock fuel-filler on a 79 and earlier on a stock tank?
          Steve

Comment

Working...
          X