• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 88sunroof
    232 I6
    • May 23, 2005

Pertronix Ignition?

The brand-new ignition module on my '88 GW died tonight and left my wife stranded on the side of I-40 in the rain -- definitely not acceptable. I am getting tired of fighting the OE ignition system battle, so . . .

Does anyone have any experience with the Pertronix ignition upgrade? I really don't want to install a GM HEI ignition or another system sourced from Ford.

If you have had an experience with Pertronix, good or bad, please share. Ditto if you have any advice regarding installation tricks.

Jeff
    1988 Jeep GW
  • the jeep
    230 Tornado
    • Mar 27, 2008

have one on my old jtruck (327). it's pretty slick and easy to install. don't have many miles on it, some other guys can comment on the longevity of the system. good luck.

ay. and search the forum other guys have asked questions about pertronix also. might help you out.

Comment

• yankeedog
      304 AMC
      • Mar 14, 2007

you would need a points distributor from 74 or earlier to do that.as the pertronix unit is not designed to retrofit an electronic distributor.if you know how to do a little wiring you could also convert to gm 4 pin chip or a chrysler module.

Comment

X2 It would be easier to convert it to a GM module than it would to Pertronix. I had a Pertronix years ago, and it worked well but you already have a good system.

Are you sure it is the module and not the pickup coil. You need to do a little testing first. Mine still has the original AMC module in it but I have had to replace the pickup coil twice. The first new on failed the next day. The second one has been in for about 5 years.

You could also do away with any factory module and go with MSD 6A or a Malloy HiFire 6 triggered by your magnetic pickup which is the same one used by many of the aftermarket companies.
        Last edited by Chevelleguy; 06-16-2009, 06:20 AM.
        David "If all else fails, read the instructions."
        83 Wag Lt,BJ's 6"lift,360/727/Pinned229,D44/trac-lok,AMC20/lock-right,35/12.50 Baja MTZ,Pro-Jection EFI.
        10$ NP229 fix http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=2520

Comment

• Headhoncho
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Oct 11, 2006

I've been running a Pertronix unit in my old points distributor for at least 10 years now without incident. I also run a MSD6A and a TFI coil. If/when it fails I'd buy another.

JR
          [quote] "How does someone from Iran have a BJ's Offroad sticker but I can't seem to get one sent to New Jersey???!!!"

1980 Honcho Sportside w/37's, 351c, 14" lift, D44high pinion w/Aussie, crossover steering, 14b w/detroit, np435, 205, 5.13's, 4whl discs, hb brakes, OBAir, rusted out cab,
          1966 mustang fastback
          '07 Dodge Charger 3.5

Comment

• yankeedog
            304 AMC
            • Mar 14, 2007

also if you chose the pertronix route summit sells a HEI terminal cap that fits a points distributor.it is a nice piece with brass terminals. fits and works well.Right now I am running a points distributor with a mallory e spark conversion. I cant speak to its reliabilty because its only been in there a couple months, but so far i like it.I also like the ability to be able to use points in a pinch.this is probably one of the biggest advantages in my mind of converting a points distributor, a back up system I THINK I might be able to get a set of points and the e spark module to fit. that way I could wire in back up ignition at the flip of a switch
            Last edited by yankeedog; 06-16-2009, 08:07 AM.

Comment

• 88sunroof
              232 I6
              • May 23, 2005

Thanks for the input, guys. I really appreciate all of the tips.

Yankeedog, I'm going to re-check the Pertronix site. I would have sworn that it said "retrofits factory points-type and electronic distributors" but I could be wrong.

Chevelleguy, I checked the spark right there on the side of the road, and there was none. I replaced the brand-new module with a used one I bought for five bucks and -- bingo! -- it started right up and I drove it home. And no, there were no loose connections or grounding problems involved (if the latter even makes the same sort of difference on a Jeep as it does on a Mopar).

Jeff
              1988 Jeep GW

Comment

• yankeedog
                304 AMC
                • Mar 14, 2007

Wait a minute hold on ,lemme get my foot out of my mouth, oops thats better..... I gave you bad info........ my bad, according to the 2007 catalog they DO make a retrofit for the motocrap distributor.mea maxima culpa.

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                  Señor Jackhead
                  • Aug 21, 2002

My father in law has a 72 J4000 with Pertronix in it now for about 5 years. He loves the fact that he does not have to dink around with cleaning, adjusting or replacing points and it starts right up even after setting for a month. Our J20 has a points dizzy. Got to get a Pertronix for that thing...

Interesting news on the Motorcrap upgrade yankeedog.
                  Flint
                  Ran when parked.
                  http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                  88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                  76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                  http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• DAHoyle
                    350 Buick
                    • Nov 25, 2005

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the motorcraft ignition if you take 2 very simple precautions.

1. Only buy OEM modules. I would trust a 30 year old module from a salvage yard far more than I would trust a new replacement from any of the parts houses, and that is in fact where I get them.

2. Carry a spare. They almost give them away at a salvage yard, so you can buy anywhere from 3 to half a dozen for what a new replacement will cost, and if I have some other things, They usually just tell me to not worry about it.

Those two little steps will solve any problems you might have with the Factory setup.

That doesn't mean that it is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but if you think it is unacceptable to have a very common part, which can be replaced in about 2 minutes, fail on you, just how acceptable is it going to be when you actually have to call a tow, because everything is subject to failure, and just swapping brands is not going to exempt you from that little fact of life. I would much rather be able to swap in my spare and go on with business, than have my rig towed, catch a ride home, and order a part and wait for it to come it.

I understand the need to ensure your wifes safety, but I don't think swapping from one ignition to another is going to guarantee anything.

FWIW, the only time I have ever had an OEM module go bad, it was all my fault, as I left it in the on position while troubleshooting another problem,, and it cooked.
                    Last edited by DAHoyle; 06-18-2009, 05:52 AM.
                    67 M715
                    Cummins 4BT/Allison 54/Ford203/Ford205,
                    Front 89 HP60/Rear 81 GM D70HD
                    Discs all around/ 12 bolt H1 Rims
                    Build still very much in progress

78 Levi edition Honcho 360/T18/D20

Comment

• djongeward
                      304 AMC
                      • May 21, 2008

Ditto on above. Maybe I'm lucky. But I have never had an OEM module go down. Not even on Fords. That said, we always replace with an MSD system for performance, not reliability. Then again, I have never had an MSD box go out either. I'm using an old 6A box that is over 10 years old and has been on 3 Ford engines before I got to put it in my waggy 360.

I've kept the OEM module in the wagg and the old harness, just in case.
                      89 Grandwagoneer, built 360, COMP cam set, port matched Edelbrock SP2P, 475 cfm Holley ORA, Thorleys, MSD6a, extra cooling and oiling.
                      76 Cherokee S Chief - rebuilt stock, Holley, Performer, MSD Dizzy.
                      89 GW parts waggy

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                        Señor Jackhead
                        • Aug 21, 2002

I ran my original Motorcraft module to over 250K miles. The replacement from NAPA was pricey and has been holding up OK for a couple years.
                        Flint
                        Ran when parked.
                        http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                        88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                        76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                        http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• 70Wangoneer
                          232 I6
                          • Jun 10, 2008

pertronix good...fire bad

I have been running a Pertronix setup in my Buick 350 since the rebuild...About 2500 mi now...And I am sold, it is inexpensive and had no problems installing or since. I also have Pertronix setup in my skiboat with Chevy 350...Been going for years and years, with no problems.
                          Best of all I dont have to change or adjust points...
                          http://s643.photobucket.com/albums/uu157/70wangoneer/

Comment

• DAHoyle
                            350 Buick
                            • Nov 25, 2005

Originally posted by 70Wangoneer
                            I have been running a Pertronix setup in my Buick 350 since the rebuild...About 2500 mi now...And I am sold, it is inexpensive and had no problems installing or since. I also have Pertronix setup in my skiboat with Chevy 350...Been going for years and years, with no problems.
                            Best of all I dont have to change or adjust points...

Oh, there is no question that a Pertronix is a good setup, especially if you are replacing points with it.

I'm also sure that it is subject to the same type of failures that anything mechanical or electronic is, and simply replacing one electronic ignition for another is not a gaurantee of not having an inoportune failure. Many many Fords and jeeps went their entire life, often in excess of 200,000 miles with the original module, just as I'm sure that many Pertronix modules did very much the same. Swearing off of one or the other, as a result of being the unfortunate soul that suffered the occasional failure, ignores the basic facts of life. $hi+ happens, to everyone.

That said, you couldn't give me one of the cheap Taiwanese or Chinese or wherever they come from modules sold at most parts houses. I still have the original module on my Honcho, and if it ever goes, I have an OEM that I pulled from a salvage rig.

To each his own, and if it gives him peace of mind, then fine. I'm just tossing out the other side of the coin.
                            67 M715
                            Cummins 4BT/Allison 54/Ford203/Ford205,
                            Front 89 HP60/Rear 81 GM D70HD
                            Discs all around/ 12 bolt H1 Rims
                            Build still very much in progress

78 Levi edition Honcho 360/T18/D20

Comment

• beloth
                              350 Buick
                              • Jun 06, 2003

Pertronix

I had one in my delco dizzy for 3 years....it died along with my ignition coil at the same time...never could determine which took which out...got HEI now....the only thing with pertronix is you should order another so you have a spare....

mine died at a circle K store and i had to get a friend to tow me home ...lesson learned....went HEI because replacement pertronix unit almost equalled going HEI....
                              1966 wag "JENNY" w/1973 drivetrain
                              330K miles w/360 V8 2bbl (HEI installed ), flowmaster muffler
                              TH400 /Dana 20 transfer case D30 /D44 w/ 3.73's LT235/75/R15 AT tires. lift shackles in frt. 2 in lft; w/ TAD's Dozer bumpers! Cost $700 -now total cost=?

Comment

Working...
                              X