• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jackz4000
    232 I6
    • Mar 27, 2003

Re-finishing GW Wheels

I have 2 sets (8) of the GW factory wheels I would like to re-finish later this spring. They are the original aluminium alloy type and have become kinda dirty and pitted over the years. Also, one set has the gold or copper color trim and whats the best way to remove that trim color. Thanks, Jack
    1990 Grand Wagoneer stock
  • wrinkledmeat
    350 Buick
    • Sep 06, 2002

Clean strip or another cheap paint remover from Home Depot or the like. Spray the entire wheel. Wait 20-30 minutes. Hose down wheel with a sturdy stream of water. Re-apply if needed. Break out the Mothers or Duraglit and spend some quality time shining it up with a buffing wheel. Apply a quality clear coat. Comes out like a new 'chrome' wheel.
    \'Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the<br />moments that take our breath.\'<br /><br />84 GW \'Woodstock\'<br />360/727<br />31\" meats<br />Emissions Delete <br />2 1/2\" exhaust<br />Flowmaster 40 series (LOUD)<br />Tadrack <br />Factory Brushguard <br />Hella Lamps<br />Sounds by Sony (almost louder than the exhaust)

Comment

• trssho
      327 Rambler
      • Apr 16, 2000

I have a pic in my profile.
      http://andersonphotog.com/default.aspx

Comment

• Earthmonster
        258 I6
        • Feb 02, 2003

Por-15 produces a wheel restoration kit that comes with everything you need to do a full set of rims. My buddie used it on a set of centerline rims with great results. It comes with everything you need- clearcoat stripper, polishing kit, new clearcoat/sealant-- I would check it out- his look like new.
        1971 Wagoneer, Buick 350 bored .030 over with all new guts, aluminum intake, RV cam, Truck Avenger carb. All new A/C 134a system. Finished resto under hood. Next is the suspension and axles.

Comment

• jackz4000
          232 I6
          • Mar 27, 2003

Thanks for the help. Should I use a fine grit (like 600) for any stubborn pitting. Also, Should I finish off with a clearcoat? Thanks, Jack

Comment

• The Anti-Chrysler
            Disciple of A.M.C.
            • Aug 19, 2002

Refinishing wheels can be really tough. I don't know what part of NE you are in, but in CT there is a place called Keystone, that reapirs / refinishes wheels for a decent price and will also buy junk alum. wheels.
            Jason Davis
            '82 J-10 Laredo, 360, T-177, 4" Rusty's
            '85 J-10 (parts)
            '09 Pontiac G8 GT Sport, '97 Sierra (Vortec 454), '98 Silverado Z71 (5.7 Vortec)

Comment

• jackz4000
              232 I6
              • Mar 27, 2003

Yeah, I haven't found too much info on re-finishing them. Liked Greasemonkey's pic's. I'm in VT, so CT is a stretch. And refinishing them is a nice little project for me to do. Thanks everyone, Jack

Comment

• The Anti-Chrysler
                Disciple of A.M.C.
                • Aug 19, 2002

Give it a try and see how it works out. I think Keystone might have other locations in NE, so it could be a back-up plan - although I'm sure you could always throw them in boxes and ship if it was a last resort...
                Jason Davis
                '82 J-10 Laredo, 360, T-177, 4" Rusty's
                '85 J-10 (parts)
                '09 Pontiac G8 GT Sport, '97 Sierra (Vortec 454), '98 Silverado Z71 (5.7 Vortec)

Comment

Working...
                X