78 Wagoneer, Building a driver! New Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Full Size Jeeper
    304 AMC
    • Jul 20, 2014

Cleaned up and started installing door internals. Drivers side window regulator and door latch is adjusted.
    Last edited by Full Size Jeeper; 12-05-2019, 06:46 PM.
    1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
    Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
      304 AMC
      • Jul 20, 2014

Door handle installed with new gaskets.
      Last edited by Full Size Jeeper; 12-05-2019, 06:49 PM.
      1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
      Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
        304 AMC
        • Jul 20, 2014

Very happy to be putting parts back on the Wagon!!!
        Last edited by Full Size Jeeper; 12-05-2019, 06:51 PM.
        1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
          304 AMC
          • Jul 20, 2014

My son installed the weather striping on the front passenger door. Looks really good, but it is very tight, hope over time it seats a little and makes for easier closing of the doors.
          Last edited by Full Size Jeeper; 12-05-2019, 06:53 PM.
          1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• rws31
            258 I6
            • Dec 10, 2016

Originally posted by Full Size Jeeper
            My son installed the weather striping on the front passenger door. Looks really good, but it is very tight, hope over time it seats a little and makes for easier closing of the doors.

2 of our doors were the same way. Very hard to close after the door gaskets. Tried adjusting them which helped a little but they are still harder than the other 2.

Bummer about the paint color.
            89 GW, 454, 700R4, 241C, 411's with posi's, 9" rearend, 2500 stall, lifted, and lots more to do.
            1988 Ramcharger
            1999 International 4700 Crew Cab 4X4, custom step side bed
            2003 Durango 4x4
            1982 CJ7 4 banger
            2008 MB E320 Bluetec

Comment

• rang-a-stang
              Administrator
              • Oct 31, 2016

... but I'am no painter. ...
              MORE LIES!!!!!

All your posts after 11/25, I only see a minus; no pictures. Did you change photo hosting pages?
              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
              (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
              (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
              79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
              (Cherokee Build Thread)
              11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
              09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                304 AMC
                • Jul 20, 2014

Was able to work on getting the small windows on the rear doors built. Kaiserjeeps build thread is where I went to figure this out. Thanks Al for the help locating rivets and tools, I know you saved me weeks of leg work hunting down parts.
                1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                  304 AMC
                  • Jul 20, 2014

tool
                  1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                    304 AMC
                    • Jul 20, 2014

Tool in action.
                    1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                      304 AMC
                      • Jul 20, 2014

built divider bar
                      1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                        304 AMC
                        • Jul 20, 2014

Last edited by Full Size Jeeper; 12-10-2019, 05:31 PM.
                        1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                          360 AMC
                          • Oct 02, 2002

Was able to work on getting the small windows on the rear doors built. Kaiserjeeps build thread is where I went to figure this out. Thanks Al for the help locating rivets and tools, I know you saved me weeks of leg work hunting down parts.

Hey no sweat Darin. I went back and edited the part numbers into my build thread. So it looks like the oval head rivets worked just great. I used the big flat head rivets and had to turn the heads down in a small lathe. A regular time consuming pain. So good news on the rivets working without custom work. And is it not just cool to have a quality tool like that rivet press. You have to assume that a tool for airplane brake shoes is probably going to be well made and not a compromise import pile. It is well made and works like it should. I put a super small drop of oil on the head of the die. It seemed to help coax the brass in place.

And yes, bummer on the paint color. I had that happen with the tailgate cover panel. It was darker than the rest of the rig. I did not expect to need more paint and would have mixed both cans if I had known.

You wagoneer is looking so darn good! My wife just leaned over my shoulder and said, hey another wagoneer and had a good look. We are enjoying your build. Don't finish it too fast...
                          Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; 12-07-2019, 07:58 PM.
                          Melford1972 says...
                          I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
                          -----------------------
                          I make wag parts
                          1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                          1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
                          1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
                          1968 M715 restomod
                          2001 Dodge 3500
                          2002 Toyota Tundra
                          2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
                          Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                            304 AMC
                            • Jul 20, 2014

Thanks Al! Wanted to let you know, I tried to install them like you did with the bottom gasket out. I could not make it work, it was to tight with the new gaskets. (I think you reused the old gaskets on Saide) I put it back together and pushed the lower gasket past the inner and outer door skins. Then once the top of the glass is past the upper door channel, you can push the lower gasket back up where it belongs. Pretty much like the TSM says to do. You talk about a handful trying to handle a wet and soapy piece of glass. Thanks again, Darin.
                            1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• rws31
                              258 I6
                              • Dec 10, 2016

Ditto. I probably wouldn't have replaced our felts yet if I hadn't seen Kaiserjeeps job in his thread.

For you not being a painter, that thing is looking awesome. But isn't it a lot funner putting on parts and not get all greasy.
                              89 GW, 454, 700R4, 241C, 411's with posi's, 9" rearend, 2500 stall, lifted, and lots more to do.
                              1988 Ramcharger
                              1999 International 4700 Crew Cab 4X4, custom step side bed
                              2003 Durango 4x4
                              1982 CJ7 4 banger
                              2008 MB E320 Bluetec

Comment

• SteelyEyedJeepMan
                                230 Tornado
                                • Jan 16, 2017

Cam woes

The cam I have is a comp cam that has been nitride treated. Also have the solid lifters with the small oiling hole in the bottom for extra insurance. This cam has 523 lift, so it is a little bigger than the other cam I melted.

Did you (or your machinist) ever come to any conclusion as to why two lobes failed?
                                You used proper assembly lube, you used high Zinc oil, you ran it on an engine stand at the proper RPM. What could you have done different?

I'm asking because I'm about to put together a 360 with new cam/lifters.
                                Did you think about going with a roller cam, or are there just as many issues with roller lifters?
                                ----------------------------
                                1978 Cherokee, 4-door

Comment

Working...
                                X