I'm trying to make interwebs videos(2nd vid in post 20)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • REDONE
    304 AMC
    • Aug 19, 2002

I'm trying to make interwebs videos(2nd vid in post 20)

This is in Gen discussion because it doesn't belong in off-topic. While it's not technically FSJ specific, it's a project I'm working on specifically for the FSJ community. I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to make videos for a major write up I'm doing and I need input. If you have the stomach, watch my best effort thus far:

If you watched you know what I want to know. If you DIDN'T watch it, please tell me what size should a interwebs video be, and what aspects of welding do you want to see in my rediculously huge write up. It's big. It's too big. I need to know what you want to see so I can cut out what you don't. But before I can even do THAT, I need to know how to make a decent video!

Thanks,

REDONE
    Last edited by REDONE; 09-25-2011, 10:43 PM.
    2012 Winner of the Prestigious Ouray Cast Iron Butt Award
    79 J-10 - The Money Badger!
    304/T18/D20/D44s
    What's been did:
    Holley 4160/Ede' S.P.2.P.
    MSD Streetfire based TFI
    Custom-hack gauge cluster
    Razor swap
    Fancy exhaust (Thrush Muffler)
    2 knob tape deck!
    3" homebuilt lift
    Half a hillbilly paint job
  • Kuraki
    232 I6
    • May 15, 2011

When we had a professional photographer come in to make a promotional video for our fabrication business, even he couldn't get a very good video of an arc with his crazy expensive "L" glass. It seems like no matter what, the arc always flares.

I think <10 minutes are good internet video lengths. When I'm looking for information online, I don't want to have to sit through 40 minutes of video to get the 2 minutes I was trying to find. If you can limit yourself to small clips of individual tasks, not only does that make searching those tasks easier, it makes them more useful as a resource.
    1980 Chief - Sold back to PO
    1988 Wagoneer - 360, HEI, Electric fan, hydroboost, 727, NP229, WT D44/AMC20, custom 28 gallon tank, 33s In process: TBI SBC swap.

Comment

• duncanstives
      304 AMC
      • Mar 27, 2008

No vision system in the world, electronic or biological will have sufficient dynamic range to actually see the arc and still be able to make out the surroundings. The human eye can't and that's why we have autodarkening masks instead of a piece of clear anti-uv glass. Either a very dark opaque filter and tolerate the fact that you can't see the surroundings at all or an auto darkening panel like in a welding mask will be needed. The autodarkening panel would definitely be the coolest option but I'm not sure where to get one... You might be able to somehow strap an extra mask over the camera if you've got one. You will also probably need to manually focus the camera to avoid it deciding the focus on the mask itself.
      88 Waggy
      Resting in peace... Um... In piece... Er... IN PIECES

Current Status: Under construction. Phase 2.

86 Pathfinder Conversions "K-Van"

Current Status: Broke

Volkswagen rail buggy

Current status: Broke

95 Jeep ZJ V8

Current status: DDing

Comment

• Kuraki
        232 I6
        • May 15, 2011

You didn't watch the video huh?
        1980 Chief - Sold back to PO
        1988 Wagoneer - 360, HEI, Electric fan, hydroboost, 727, NP229, WT D44/AMC20, custom 28 gallon tank, 33s In process: TBI SBC swap.

Comment

• hookedup50
          350 Buick
          • Aug 07, 2010

I cant help you with the video filming aspect, but what I learned from what I believe was no filter "take" at the end was the positioning of the hand not holding the gun. The filter "takes" I saw nothing but arc. Thats the positive learning part so far IMO.
          Jennifer: 89 GW 360/727/D44 2"lift 31" BF KM2
          Harriett: 97 chevy 2500 ext cab P/U 6.5 TD
          Lorraine: 73 Datsun 240z
          07 Colorado
          http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa416/hookedup50/

Comment

• shaggywaggy88
            258 I6
            • Feb 22, 2011

I like your idea. Im currently a half way through my associates degree in welding and I have been force fed welding videos for the last year. I dont think the camera is going to pick up the detail that you would like to capture while the arc is struck. Try doing a dry run without actually welding so you can demonstrate the technique, explain what that specific technique is used for and the common problems associated with it. To prevent all of the question asking make an intro video explaining your welder, what shielding gas you use at what psi, ect. ect. Cover the most basic of basic skills. People that know how to weld and have their own welder wont really get much out of it but Im assuming this is for beginners. My advise is keep it simple and cover the basics. I hope My input will help you out a little and make your video better. Great Idea
            88 Grand Wag:
            Razor Grille
            Rusty's 4" spring lift
            BJs HD 1" shackles
            31" M/Ts
            Holley 4160, 600cfm
            T.F.I.
            Warn Hubs
            SOLID Diff cover
            999 X-member/T-case Skid
            Rag joint delete

Comment

• polarfire
              258 I6
              • Apr 01, 2010

I agree with what Shaggy said, I'm a beginer and if I'm the audience you are going for that would help me. As for the video's, I can't help much but so far I've learned that your wife makes awesome chicken fried steak.
              '78 Cherokee S Levi's 4-Door (SOLD)
              '84 J10 Shortbed
              '83 Cherokee Chief WT (SOLD)
              '82 J10 Sportside Honcho
              '82 CJ-8 Scrambler
              '77 CJ-5 Renegade
              Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• duncanstives
                304 AMC
                • Mar 27, 2008

Originally posted by Kuraki
                You didn't watch the video huh?
                I watched it... Not the end though because my browser crashed.
                88 Waggy
                Resting in peace... Um... In piece... Er... IN PIECES

Current Status: Under construction. Phase 2.

86 Pathfinder Conversions "K-Van"

Current Status: Broke

Volkswagen rail buggy

Current status: Broke

95 Jeep ZJ V8

Current status: DDing

Comment

• WHSII
                  Hack-Priss
                  • Feb 06, 2010

Hello ReDone,

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/mig-welding-techniques-uphill-welding.htmlMig Welding Techniques for uphill welding. Upside down V and Triangles compare...

I have watched a lot of mig videos on U tube to learn the basics, after I bought my welder.

This guy has about the best video that I have seen.

He sells videos but still puts them on the net. His web sight is listed on the video.

I would watch it, and contact him, maybe a little praise and a few welding stories and he will share his filming technique.

He said in this video that he got a better camera, looks like he films with out a lens on some, and through a lens for detailed technique shots.

Just a thought.
                  WH

Dad's J10, Honcho, 1980 Sport Side
                  Build http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=118144

https://picasaweb.google.com/113072766039246994279/JeepJ10Honcho

Herbina 1987 Grand Wagoneer

Founding Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• FSJ Guy
                    • Mar 20, 2005

The biggest issue I see is exposure. It looks like you're in automatic exposure mode. You need a camera with FULL manual exposure mode and manual focus, preferably one with a mechanical focus, not one of those where you push a button to electronically move the focus one way or another.

What is happening is that the camera is seeing the arc (bright light!) and trying to adjust the exposure for the ENTIRE scene. The REST of the scene is comparatively DARK compared to the arc. This is called dynamic range. Basically, that refers to how bright and dark detail that the sensor can record at once.

With MANUAL exposure, you can set the exposure for the arc, ignoring the rest of the scene. This way, you will be avble to see the arc and the puddle, just like when you look through a welding lens. Using a non-automatic welding lens will help you get the correct exposure without having to use the extreme settings on your camera. (really fast shutter speed or really small lens opening).

If you have one of the newer digital SLRs, they may have a manual exposure video mode.

But manual focus and manual exposure will DEFINITELY help you get what you want.
                    Ethan Brady
                    1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• REDONE
                      304 AMC
                      • Aug 19, 2002

Thank you for the responses so far!

FSJ Guy, I shelled out more money on this project than I wanted too by buying this little Flipshare camera and two cheap machines that I thought would be in the budget of any FSJer just to show what they can and can't do, but you make a good point that I haven't adjusted ANY controls on the camera. I'm very very novice at this whole interwebs video thing and I really appriciate the advice and feed back! When I get home tonight I'll play with the camera controls and also try shoving it in my auto hood while I wear the fixed hood to see if it can kinda "trick" the camera.

Polar, you and those in your position are right at the mean of my target audiance. Those who are thinking of learning to weld but haven't because they can't afford a $1000 Miller, and those who've bought a welder and want to know how to use it to it's limitations.

Thanks again for the feedback everyone, keep it coming! Don't forget to include any specific task or aspect of welding you want me cover in the write up. Like kuraki said, I don't want to make you sit through thirty minutes if me drinking beer and blabbing just to show you 2 minutes of what you want to see
                      2012 Winner of the Prestigious Ouray Cast Iron Butt Award
                      79 J-10 - The Money Badger!
                      304/T18/D20/D44s
                      What's been did:
                      Holley 4160/Ede' S.P.2.P.
                      MSD Streetfire based TFI
                      Custom-hack gauge cluster
                      Razor swap
                      Fancy exhaust (Thrush Muffler)
                      2 knob tape deck!
                      3" homebuilt lift
                      Half a hillbilly paint job

Comment

• FSJ Guy
                        • Mar 20, 2005

If the camera has a "theatre" mode, you can try that, too. I doubt a Flip-type camera will have a full manual mode, but I could be wrong. The "theatre" mode is designed to NOT overexpose the subject that is under the spotlight at a show.

Exactly what you are trying to do in a welding video.
                        Ethan Brady
                        1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• thinder
                          232 I6
                          • Sep 18, 2009

Nice beer.

YOu could try two cameras. One with a filter and one without, mounted together and filming at the same time. Then superimpose the images over each other. You may have to block the arc in the filterless camera. Im pretty sure you can overlay videos in Windows movie maker.
                          86 Grand Wagoneer
                          Cummins Ve pumped 4bta
                          47RH
                          np241
                          D44 front and rear

Comment

• Stuka
                            • Jan 21, 2001

I have been making videos for a very long time (http://www.youtube.com/stuka87). So if you have questions of video quality, size, or format to use, feel free to ask me.

Like others said, the dynamic range of your camera just is not there. Really you would need an SLR that shoots video to properly catch the arc. I know with the HD camera I use it lets me adjust some settings, but not to the extent of my SLR.

Unfortunately, there is no cheap way to get this done. If you are using decent video software, you can play with colors/exposure some to get it to be a bit better. But over all it will only be as good as the equipment used :/

Comment

• RussellS
                              232 I6
                              • Apr 25, 2010

redone if you want you could have one of us thats in washington close to you holding the camra over your shoulder. That seemed like the best viewing angle i had when i was taught how to weld. lol id like to learn how to weld on sheet metal lol i was only taught how to weld on 1/4inch or bigger.

Oh and if you can try not to do the videos with out a welding screen on the camera it can cause us to have the same problem if we look at the arc for any length of time as if we are there in person just so you know.
                              Last edited by RussellS; 09-25-2011, 01:53 PM.
                              '75 J10 half a 4"lift, 360 v8, turbo 400, quadratrac, and 32" tall tires on 15" rims.

Comment

Working...
                              X