latest jeep horror story and how do i clean up under hood????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • westcoastflea
    232 I6
    • Jan 25, 2004

latest jeep horror story and how do i clean up under hood????

so the latest in a long history of HOW MY JEEP LEFT ME STRANDED..... alternator bracket keeps breaking leaving the bolt broken off in the manifold. its winter here in maine if im going to take everything out rebore and retap i better do it, BECAUSE.....im tired of the above, so last wednesday i start, of course it takes me forever, but by this wednesday everything is back in still no alternator bracket but i make a quickie to get me thru til the one i ordered comes in, use the battery starter to start the jeep, some of the connectors for the vac system have broken, the jeep is backfiring at least 10 times a minute , but i CANT fix them until i get to the auto parts store, so i make to end of street it dies, use battery charger it starts make it to top of hill, stalls, battery charger says FORGET THIS, have to get someone going by to give me a jump, he says put a pen in the choke to keep it open it will quite stalling, it works!!so i make it to gas station hoping and praying the whole way, im hoping they might have some connectors, while im there i ask to borrow a socket wrench as i dont have one and had taken water outlet off to check thermostat while i had my weeks forced vacation at home,courtesy of you guessed it MY JEEP.(now you know why it took a week to do the work), ever tried to get those bolts off with a wrench?? the one behind the oiler filler thing is a *****. i got the outlet off with a wrench but couldnt tighten it with one, (oh did i forget to mention the billows of steam following me down the road to the gas station???), so borrowed the socket wrench and you guessed it BROKE the outlet, no one thought to say "gee this is a girl doing this we better warn her not to BREAK THE OUTLET". of course the friendly neighborhood mechanic doesnt have the part i need to FIX it, so fill up the radiator and head for auto parts store, stop a few times put water in, enjoying the hell out of the sauna effect as i havent had heat in it for two winters now, get to auto parts store (god that big yellow sign was like the gates to heaven). engine is boiling but hey im here at the parts store everything is golden! explain what i need and do you guessed it... they dont have a water outlet!!.
    so parts guy gets me coffee, a dry shirt, oh did i forget to say its raining and 45 degrees?? a rain coat and puts some jb weld on the old outlet after i take it off,see if we can fix it for now, so i get the rest of my parts and a socket set yippee!! at this point store is closing we go out under my hood in pouring rain, 45 degrees, i fix vac hoses put on outlet, no good its leaking, so nice guy says ill follow you home (poor guy thats the last time he'll ever say that to anyone again), so we start, get a mile down road, i pull over at a gas station to get more water its raining still, come out, pop hood, hood popper thingie comes loose, say the hell with it im soaked thru im freezing sauna effect has definitely worn off at this point, start her up, well my goodness could it be we need a jump?? i take off grille all those little screws did i mention its 45 degrees and raining??? spend another 10 minutes trying to pop that little thingie you have to pop, parts guy comes over and gets it popped, I swear my jeep is a female and she hates my guts, so jump the jeep and head for home, pull over 2 miles later, get out do the try to pop the latch manuever again, worked, filled and didnt get home til 1am.........
    so did i mention the time it stalled and wouldnt start in the middle of the road?? whole high school football team was driving by and got out to push, or the time it wouldnt start in the cemetery
    had to walk through the whole cemetery (its big)
    i finally gave up trying to start it at 10 pm i had stitches in my foot and the resident coyote pack had started to party
    or the time.........
    so anyway if you made it this far and this is really the gist of the whole thing, one suggestion the parts guy made and he had an awesome 86 chevy truck purred like a kitten all night, was to take out everything under the hood i dont need, vac, air conditioning (carb????) etc etc, i liked the way his engine compartment looked (very empty) easy to work on (why did jeep put spark plugs next to the oil dipstick???), and want to do that to mine, maybe THAT will finally subdue the beast. so i need info, suggestions and HELP!!!
  • Millerluck
    360 AMC
    • Sep 08, 2000

Wow what a night! I read someplace that an Oldsmobile thermostat housing will work in a pinch if you saw off some of the bypass tube.

It'll get easer. Hang in there.

Larry Miller
    88GW "Mississippi" 401,Edelbrock heads,and stuff,
    4" Skyjacker, BFG AT's,OBA,Air Horn.

'89GW "Mutt" wood for now, 360, 1405, Edelbrock cam,
    4"Rusty's,3"body,33"BFG. Detroit Truetrack Warn Hubs

The Metal Workshop
    http://www.themetalworkshop.com/index.html

Comment

• MocKKnighT
      232 I6
      • Feb 28, 2004

GOD ****!!! I Thought my Heep was a pain in the *** . I think another DD might be in order... I hate to say it but get a honda. Good luck

~sean~
      Rustoleum Green 77 Cherokee Chief | Rebuilt 401 | TH400\\QT |Custom \"SOA friendly\" Y-pipe | WT 44 f/r

Comment

• Sambo
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Sep 25, 2001

wow what a run of bad luck!
        i feel for ya
        77 chero DEAD.
        84wag,360,tf727,???! possiblities are d300 flipped and a ford d44 hp with coils

Comment

• Gambler68
          Rabble Rouser
          • Feb 29, 2004

I think the worst thing my 88 Grand Wag I had do to me was just plain cut out and die in the middle of the road on a blind corner, on a busy road, in Connecticut when I lived there. That..was a nervous few minutes till I got it rolling down the hill and off the road [img]tongue.gif[/img]

What did you do to your wagoneer to p*ss it off? Wash it?
          1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
          1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
          The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
          Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• my88wgn
            350 Buick
            • May 08, 2003

thats no joke, ya do something nice for the rig and it thanks you by breakn down for some other reason. why do we love these thigs so much, i think im for getting???

Comment

• wagonman83
              258 I6
              • Jun 23, 2004

man, these jeeps are serious peices of ****! what did we waste our money on [img]tongue.gif[/img]
              1987 jeep grand wagoneer. <br />4\" lift and 31\"s if i can ever afford them.

Comment

• DerekTJeep
                Turbocharged Quandary
                • Mar 28, 2003

I feel for you. I had to put a wrench in carb choke to get my '89 going. The best luck to you!!

Derek
                1999 Chevy Express 3500 cargo van

1997 Mercury Mountaineer

AIM: derektjeep

[email protected]

224 805 0773 text message is the king!!!

Find me on facebook under Derek Troy

Comment

• Jayrodoh
                  360 AMC
                  • Sep 07, 2004

Reminds me of high school! It sucks, but take some time and fix the little things right and it should take care of ya.
                  Honey?? What happened to the savings account? You bought a Jeep what??

86 Grand Wag Stock with Bulltear HEI

Comment

• my88wgn
                    350 Buick
                    • May 08, 2003

yeah till the next thing breaks.the Jeep slogan was right....Just Empty Every Pocket

Comment

• twisted frame
                      350 Buick
                      • Apr 01, 2003

Is it running OK now? What's the status?

You could remove your air compressor if your rig has A/C, but not much else if it's going to pass emissions.

What year is your Jeep? Is it a Wagoneer? Truck? Cherokee?

Good luck, let us know how it's going.

[ November 27, 2004, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: twisted frame ]
                      Mike
                      1973 J4000, 360 2bbl, T18, Model 20,
                      44, 60-2, 32x11.5x15" on 15x8" CJ wagon wheels.
                      Now in black primer.

Comment

• roadgrime
                        350 Buick
                        • Apr 17, 2003

if you keep breaking the alternator bolt. do you have the braket that goes from the alternator to the AC? or do you just have two bolts going through the alternator to the block? if you are missing the braket go get you one otherwise i would check to make sure the alternator is shimmed correctly .

Comment

• westcoastflea
                          232 I6
                          • Jan 25, 2004

hi all im still working on the jeep, had pulled on all kinds of wires the last 100 times i was stranded to find broken and undone wires, so have collated and bundled them,shes looking really pretty under the hood so tired of people looking under there saying "this things a menace you should get another vehicle" put in new heater box thing from the other jeep, hope to have heat now, have to take out the radiator to get air conditioning thing in front of radiator out not a priority at the moment, but in taking out the air conditioning condenser?? the big thing the alternator bracket attaches to?, my belts dont fit now, so do i just buy new belts that are smaller and hook up the alternator to the fan that way?? im hoping when i get the bracket i paid 30.00 for (yikes) that it will still hook up correctly. i put the ground that was hooked up on the air conditioner thing to the exhaust manifold where the bolt for the alternator goes in its tight and seems like that should work for grounding?? im going to start it now, thinking i can drive it with just the belts on the right side?? alternator isnt working anyway without bracket so guess its alright not to have belts coming from there?? all these question marks are making me NERVOUS. im trying to figure out how to put the headlights in correctly seems strange round holes for square headlights?? then put grille on and maybe drive it?? i have to get away!!!! so...... to answer why shes mad at me??
                          maybe cause im better looking!
                          anyway i need help from all you experts out there re the above
                          OH YES got another water outlet its great the first one was flimsy aluminum this is three times as heavy and i got it on without breaking it!!

Comment

• westcoastflea
                            232 I6
                            • Jan 25, 2004

oh sorry its an 85 grand wagoneer v8 blue with woodgrain, ive had a rebuilt engine put in, that blew in the first 4 hours so had another put in, i personally put in the muffler, starter, alternator, and heater thing, steering fluid container, new brake pads and caliper, how can i give her up i feel like i know her inside and out!!

Comment

• Ruptured Duck
                              232 I6
                              • Jan 26, 2004

On my jeep, I took off all of the smog stuff, air conditioning (because it is cold up here for six months of the year!) and used the non-AC alternator bracket. Then, I got belts for a non-AC 360. As for just running with the belts on your right side, are you talking about running without an alternator? You can't go very far without your alternator hooked up.

[ November 28, 2004, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: Ruptured Duck ]
                              Ray
                              Ruptured Duck
                              BIG BLUE: 85 Grand Wagoneer, 360/727Torqueflite/NP208, HEI, Edelbrock 1406 on Edelbrock performer intake, Cammed, Aluminum Radiator, SOA, Shackle Flip, On board air, Transgo Stage 2 Shift Kit.

THE J TRUCK: 87 J20,
                              360/727 Torqueflite/NP208, TFI, Edelbrock 1406 on Edelbrock performer intake, Cammed, Aluminum Radiator.

Comment

Working...
                              X