• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nsanebiker
    327 Rambler
    • Apr 26, 2003

Door won't SHUT.

Ok, so I get my new door seals from BJ's (thanks Brent) and get them installed today. The passenger door shuts just fine, needs a tad bit more force than before but I am not trying to knock the rust off of the truck. The drivers door on the other hand seems to need more As$ than I carry with me to get it to close fully.
    I adjusted the strike plate. That didn't help.
    Any suggestions?

I feel like I am practicing for a DV marathon.
    James

1973 J4000 Custom Cab: 360/T18

My DD: DOZERCON
    2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
  • billyrb
    BJ's Off-Road
    • Aug 15, 2001

you can adjust your door striker as well as your hinges to help with that. It'll take a little time for them to break in and become more soft (better than breaking in too fast and not sealing for very long). You can also leave a window slightly down (1/16" or so) as that will allow some air to escape while shutting the doors, helping it close a little easier.
    BJ's Off-Road
    [email protected]
    Your source for '63-'91 FSJ Parts

Comment

• willam
      350 Buick
      • Jul 12, 2005

Originally posted by billyrb
      you can adjust your door striker as well as your hinges to help with that. It'll take a little time for them to break in and become more soft (better than breaking in too fast and not sealing for very long). You can also leave a window slightly down (1/16" or so) as that will allow some air to escape while shutting the doors, helping it close a little easier.

That's assuming there are no holes in the floor and the jeep is actually airtight

Comment

• nsanebiker
        327 Rambler
        • Apr 26, 2003

Originally posted by billyrb
        Thanks Ryan, that helps some with getting it closed. I think I have an issue with the door opening mechanism tho. Once I get in and close it i have to pull the handle and shoulder the door at the same time to get it to pop open. some serious spring on the door. I'll keep tinkering.
        James

Comment

• nsanebiker
          327 Rambler
          • Apr 26, 2003

Originally posted by willam
          That's assuming there are no holes in the floor and the jeep is actually airtight
          this one (unlike my last 3) has no rust holes anywhere. so you can imagine my surprise when the door wouldn't shut. LOL
          James

Comment

• FSJ Guy
            • Mar 20, 2005

Re-adjust your latch and/or hinges some more. You should be able to pull the handle easily and the door should pop open.

My passenger side door was really hard to open until I re-adjusted the latch. Now it opens as easily as a modern car door.
            Ethan Brady
            1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

Working...
            X