• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oregonphil
    232 I6
    • Oct 17, 2020

Crash Test by NHTSA

Have you seen this, from 1979. Kinda interesting.

Impact speed: 30mphDriver-PassengerHead injury criteria(HIC):Driver-720, Passenger-823Thumbs up for the crash test dummies!New crash test videos every week.S...
    OregonPhil

77 SJ 401
    72 Commando 304
    07 Toyota Sienna
    76 HD FLH
  • elskeptico
    350 Buick
    • Sep 03, 2003

It is interesting. Aside from some pretty nasty whiplash, looks like those dummies survived. From the way they filmed it and the way they were inspecting it afterwards, it looks like they were interested in how things shifted around underneath, like the gas tank, etc.
    1979 Cherokee Chief S, 360, TFI, Part-time conversion, rust

If you go lookin' for rust, you'll find it.

Comment

• threepiece
      350 Buick
      • Sep 17, 2005

For the last 25 years I have been modifying cars and light trucks for crash testing. A great deal has changed in regulations and vehicle design since this video was made. I wonder how our FSJ compare to other manufacturers of the day as far as safety performance. I suspect they were safer.

Did you know the primary function of overhead grab handles on some/most modern cars is to improve head impact performance rather than a hand hold?
      FSJ Hybrid build thread: http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=43332
      We are Borg, but we don't know it yet.
      We are being assimilated but we don't know it yet.
      Resistance is not futile yet.
      Are you and your children connected yet?

Comment

• 61Hawk
        258 I6
        • Jul 18, 2009

Originally posted by threepiece
        Did you know the primary function of overhead grab handles on some/most modern cars is to improve head impact performance rather than a hand hold?

How does that work? It's safer for your head to hit a grab handle than the window frame?

Comment

• threepiece
          350 Buick
          • Sep 17, 2005

Originally posted by 61Hawk
          How does that work? It's safer for your head to hit a grab handle than the window frame?
          Yes, a fair amount of work I do is replacing the thin sheet metal brackets the handles are attached to. The new brackets have variations in their shape intended to increase or decrease the amount of energy they absorb when hit with a simulated human head.
          FSJ Hybrid build thread: http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=43332
          We are Borg, but we don't know it yet.
          We are being assimilated but we don't know it yet.
          Resistance is not futile yet.
          Are you and your children connected yet?

Comment

• rang-a-stang
            Administrator
            • Oct 31, 2016

I don't know, I see broken legs/knees jammed into the dash. He survived but he was in a solid world of hurt. I would rather get in a wreck in new mini cooper than one of our death traps.
            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
            (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
            (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
            79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
            (Cherokee Build Thread)
            11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
            09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Miner_Jeepy
              230 Tornado
              • Mar 17, 2019

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
              I don't know, I see broken legs/knees jammed into the dash. He survived but he was in a solid world of hurt. I would rather get in a wreck in new mini cooper than one of our death traps.
              Yeah, with better engineered crumple zones, more advanced steels, and double digit airbags I've always felt the same way. The metallurgy nerd in me wants to get frame samples and have the sent out for chemical/mechanical testing and see how they stack up against modern cars/trucks.
              Consistently not running is a form of reliability.

Comment

• backroadin'
                350 Buick
                • Aug 11, 2004

Originally posted by threepiece
                Yes, a fair amount of work I do is replacing the thin sheet metal brackets the handles are attached to. The new brackets have variations in their shape intended to increase or decrease the amount of energy they absorb when hit with a simulated human head.
                Wow - would never have thought about that. Interesting! I bet there's a lot of stuff like that going on in and around the passenger compartment that most people never equate to safety.
                I just replaced my steering shaft, and it was a good time to think about the collapsibility being for crash safety and not adjustability... allthough I suspect most folks know that. Even the proper torque (not too much, right?) on the screws that hold the steering column brackets are designed with crash safety in mind. I guess we have learned a lot over the years
                Last edited by backroadin'; 04-16-2021, 05:19 PM.
                1973 Wagoneer, 4.6L Jeep inline 6 stroker, t176/d300, offy dualport w/ quadrajet, pertronix, flowmaster

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads." -- Doc Brown

"When this baby reaches 88 miles per hour, you're gonna to see some serious sht!"

Comment

Working...
                X